Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Snipers in PvP - Why, Bioware, Why?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Snipers in PvP - Why, Bioware, Why?

theonepanda
12.19.2011 , 10:39 AM | #11
Sorry, I was being flippant.

As posters have said though, snipers without cover are not in a good position.

They still have shiv and that cover knockback, but once you start to close in a sniper needs to keep moving.

If theres cover around I think rolling into cover might be a good idea, as popping in and out gives you instant snipe, which procs your other abilities and keeps you in the fight.

I have not pvp'd enough to see one that struck me as being surprisingly good.

And my sniper buddies keep complaining about how difficult it is to solo level.

What is fact is that no, they are not OP as the OP said (cwhutididthar), and they certainly do great dps if you stand in front of them and herp derp.

Revyri
12.19.2011 , 10:51 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Sang-Drax View Post
I presume you play a SithWarrior/Jedi Knight?

Its not hard to force them out of cover tbh..we've got all the tools to do it!

As Narien pointed out running to them from the front (or if he gots you in his crosshair) isn't a smart idea.

In general I tend to engage them from the sides if they havent noticed/targetted me yet.

If they did i use Force Choke/Stasis wich immidiatly cancels their cover mechanic, and charge in after -> Dead Sniper/Smuggler

Other wise i force push them and then charge with equal results.

I find Snipers/Smugglers saber fodder tbh, they cant shake me we have all the tools to deal with them.
They get a fairly strong anti-CC buff usable in cover that can be up relatively often. I'm also fairly sure they have a 360 degree range of attack, so it wouldn't matter where you approach them from. You're probably running into a lot of low levels or bads.

I've watched some streams of 50 snipers in beta and they absolutely chew through almost everyone if they are decent. The burst potential is disgusting.

Khadroth
12.19.2011 , 10:54 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DevouringPlague View Post
At what point does making a class that has high damage, massive defensive bonuses and range seem a good idea?

I can't even leap to a sniper in cover because... Magic? Because BioWare doesn't want them to be beatable?
This smells of "My jedi knight should be able to beat every class in the game no contest".

At what point did you think playing a melee class entitled to you steamroll every ranged? Go back to that point: That's exactly when BW decided to make the sniper high dmg/DECENT defensive bonuses...
The Starwind Legacy Anchorhead (PvP East)
"Tsu" 50 Miraluka Bala Sage "Soge" 3 Chiss Sniper
"Roronoa" 10 Pureblood Sentinel "Ashellia" 12 Borg PT
"Gene" 50 Human Gunslinger "Erza" 11 Human Jugg
"Shocktrooper" 16 Borg Comm "Hei" 1 Chiss Assassin

DevouringPlague
12.19.2011 , 10:54 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Revyri View Post
They get a fairly strong anti-CC buff usable in cover that can be up relatively often. I'm also fairly sure they have a 360 degree range of attack, so it wouldn't matter where you approach them from. You're probably running into a lot of low levels or bads.

I've watched some streams of 50 snipers in beta and they absolutely chew through almost everyone if they are decent. The burst potential is disgusting.
Pretty much.

If the cover wasn't 360 and was instead directional, that'd be a lot better, too. It'd allow you to actually flank, at least.

Narien
12.19.2011 , 11:09 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DevouringPlague View Post
Pretty much.

If the cover wasn't 360 and was instead directional, that'd be a lot better, too. It'd allow you to actually flank, at least.
While we're at it why don't we make Juggernauts unable to attack things on their left side, or behind them, and give marauders a 50% damage penalty when attacking anything not directly in front of them.

You played to a Sniper's strengths, and lost. Deal with it.

DevouringPlague
12.19.2011 , 11:49 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Narien View Post
While we're at it why don't we make Juggernauts unable to attack things on their left side, or behind them, and give marauders a 50% damage penalty when attacking anything not directly in front of them.

You played to a Sniper's strengths, and lost. Deal with it.
It's funny because they're NOT able to hit things directly in front of them. GG etc.

(This was a sarcastic post, right?)

Katahn
12.19.2011 , 11:51 AM | #17
JK/SW are the paper to the Sniper's scissors, the "rock" would be a Sith Assassin or Jedi Shadow (or possibly another Agent/Smuggler?). Get up close to them without being seen and then unload havok. Cover is good, but it aint everything.
Katahn
- Just an aging geek that remembers seeing Ep4 in the theater as a kid and knows that Han shot first!

TheBiGGs
12.19.2011 , 01:05 PM | #18
Playing as a sniper for awhile, I can say that Snipers are really tough to hit. Even as a ranged class. From what I've noticed, any marauder/sentinel or shadow/assassin that gets in melee range pretty much screws their Snipes over with pushback.

They're meant to stay in one place and shoot people at long range... And in cover. They're not made for mobility, and you should utilize that.

That aside, Snipers are fun- But I'll stick to my operative. ;D
Dusk
"All is dark... But I still see."
Jung-Ma | Heavy RP Empire|PvP|Raids
www.allisdark.org

Ultratron
12.19.2011 , 01:07 PM | #19
Seems like a simple butt-hurt post. Snipers are EXTREMELY cast bar heavy, so basically if they are allowed to just stand still and shoot all day, they're going to be effective.

I know for a fact that on my Concealment Operative, I can drop a sniper in about 5 seconds and they really have no outs to stop me.
"Ladies, chivalry isn't dead. It's just taking a vacation until you figure out that being equal blows."

Faolon
12.19.2011 , 01:09 PM | #20
Haven't had much trouble against Snipers, myself.

It's Operatives that are a pain in the ***. They get ton of CC and they last a while. So any damage you do to them will just be healed by the time their CCs have stopped working.
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."