Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Skill Tree

Jaren_Kincaid
07.25.2012 , 04:46 AM | #1
As a Jedi Shadow (Consular), what is the best skill tree option for me: Kinetic combat, infiltration, or balance? I really don't understand the point of these skill trees at all, so all advice welcome. TIA.

haliy
07.25.2012 , 05:07 AM | #2
Kinetic combat is the tanking tree. It has the most survivalbility out of all 3 trees but also does the least amount of damage (This is the spec that I play). Infiltration and Balance are the DPS tree's. Head over to the shadow forums too see which spec would best benefit you.
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

redfurry
07.25.2012 , 05:08 AM | #3
The point is for your class to specialize in a subset of its abilities, and get some new ones, that fit your playstyle. In the case of Jedi Shadow:
Kinetic Combat focuses on defense, damage mitigation and gettting "aggro" (focusing the enemies' attention on you), so it's better suited for tanking (playing in a group where you take most of the damage and keep the enemies from attacking the damage dealers and the healer).
Infiltration focuses on stealth. A Infiltration Shadow can do a very high amount of damage very quickly, as long as he's able to start the combat while cloaked.
Balance improves your incapacitating abilities and seems better suited for PvP.

Note that you don't have to put all your points in one tree branch. Most "builds" (sets of point assignment) usually are a combination of a main tree and a few points from the others.

This post in the Jedi Consular forums has better descriptions of the different skill trees and sample builds that you can use: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=378888

Jaren_Kincaid
07.25.2012 , 06:31 AM | #4
The trouble is I'm crap at PvP, but without it I can't progress much. Let me turn the question around: If my skill tree is mostly infiltration, which technique should I play?

pudim
07.25.2012 , 06:39 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Jaren_Kincaid View Post
The trouble is I'm crap at PvP, but without it I can't progress much. Let me turn the question around: If my skill tree is mostly infiltration, which technique should I play?
Shadow technique of course, you get it from the tree itself
You either subscribe, or you don't, cartel coins are useless

ForceWorks
07.26.2012 , 01:42 PM | #6
I feel your pain. I am having real trouble with the Jedi shadow skill tree, lvl 22 and I am just starting to figure out what I want out of my character. I am 90% Balance by the way and use Force technique. Good luck.

spudik
07.27.2012 , 04:03 AM | #7
Infiltration shadow relies on stealth, though not that much since u don't have any attack that actualy requieres u being stealthed. But its single target dmg allowing u to sneak up on Strong mob (silver star) and burn him down in the group and then take the others. Shadow Technique is used.

Balance on the other hand have a Strong AoE attack (allowing u to hit 3 foes at once) and then u have high dmg DoTs that u can put on every1 in the grp and watch them die running around a using Double-strike and instant Mind Crush. Balance shadow should open up with a Project followed by Force in Balance and DoTs. U will rarely and better never use Shadow Strike because its just waste of energy. Force Technique is used.

Kinetic as others said is typical Tank with high survivability but 30-40% less dmg output. Combat Technique is used.
Irisen Shadow 55 Irissen Guardian 55
Caleth Scoundrel 55 Halb Sentinel 55
Located at Tomb of Freedon Nadd as officer of CZ/SK guild
>>Havoc Squadron<<