Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BIS Relics

LagunaD
08.13.2012 , 12:46 PM | #21
Just as an aside, I tested whether hitting the training dummy from behind changes the rate of misses/avoidance.

I did ~6 minute parses, doing nothing but spamming Strike.

By luck, I had exactly the same number swings with Strike in both parses: 227 Strikes, which means 681 main-hand attacks and 227 off-hand attacks.

Assuming the dummy has 10% avoidance, with my Accuracy I would expect 9.07% avoids on the main-hand, and 10% avoids + 32.07% misses with the offhand attacks.

Thus I would expect 61.77 MH avoids, 22.70 OH avoids, and 72.80 OH misses; since the log file doesn't distinguish MH/OH attacks, that means 84.47 total avoids and 72.80 misses in 908 attacks with Strike. Or a total miss/avoid rate of 157.27/908 = 17.32%.

Parse data:

Front: 17.51 +/ - 1.26%

Back: 16.85 +/- 1.24%

Both tests are completely consistent with the assumed 10% all-around avoidance, and the difference between front/back is well within the variation expected from the RNG.

The parsers don't break down miss/avoid seperately for individual abilities, but overall, I had 81 Dodges from the front, and 79 Dodges from behind - statistically, no difference. The number of avoids from both front and back was slightly lower than expected (84.5), but well within the variation expected from the RNG.

I conclude there is no evidence for a significant difference in avoidance based on position.
Dagoreth/Shadow - Martina/Sentinel - Sandrine/Commando - Silmara/Scoundrel
Belechannas/Sage - Knox/Vanguard

Vixxa/Marauder - Niobe/Sorceror
The Harbinger

BlznSmri
08.13.2012 , 08:26 PM | #22
It's good to know that there's no statistical difference, but I'll still always try and position myself to the back 180 degrees of the target because it psychologically feels better.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

LagunaD
08.13.2012 , 10:07 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
It's good to know that there's no statistical difference, but I'll still always try and position myself to the back 180 degrees of the target because it psychologically feels better.
Generally much safer too, unless the boss has the equivalent of a tail-swipe...
Dagoreth/Shadow - Martina/Sentinel - Sandrine/Commando - Silmara/Scoundrel
Belechannas/Sage - Knox/Vanguard

Vixxa/Marauder - Niobe/Sorceror
The Harbinger

BlznSmri
08.14.2012 , 12:52 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by LagunaD View Post
Generally much safer too, unless the boss has the equivalent of a tail-swipe...
I have yet to see a dragon so we're safe there, ignoring Karaggas exhaust flames...
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics