Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

HM Kephess - Need better control, farmable strat

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
HM Kephess - Need better control, farmable strat

Bonesmello
07.24.2012 , 08:55 AM | #1
So HM Kephess,

We finally got him down last night. We have all but the final phase so well practiced that most of us could do it with our eyes closed. That final phase is just such a cluster that it felt like a fluke getting him down. I'd like strategies or advice to make this easier and not have to spend two hours on him next week.

He just seems so buggy... First attempt of the night was solid up until the his giant purple aoe. He pulls us in, everyone runs out.... and then he teleported half the raid back in. Every attempt after that was basically us getting him down to 25% or so and then during a transition he would knock back the current tank and then get a instant second hit in on that tank immediately (one-shotting him) even though he's already taunted and that first tank is still flying through the air.

The final kill was pretty much due to the standard tank death happening at 10% instead of 20-30% and us being able to zerg him down anyway.

It feels like bugs, but since so many people have him on farm I'm guessing there's a better way to do it?

Advise pls.
Zoo'phobia - Sorc Healer <Remarkable Circumference> of The Shadowlands
Knocked his head clean off.
<Remarkable Circumference> is recruiting for 16 man content. PM me for info.

pure_laced
07.24.2012 , 10:07 AM | #2
A couple of questions:
- 8 or 16 man?
- How many tanks?
- Marauder and Sniper in group?
- Do tanks know when to taunt properly?

The reason I ask is because the strat changes slightly between the two different raid sizes, but in principle remains largely the same. Sniper can shield just outside of the Gift AoE providing reduced dmg from ticks while running out, and of course the Marauder has Predation for faster travel out of the AoE.

Due to lag, sometimes there can be unfortunate deaths or strange things happening.
Cali Killed Nox
Genshen 50: Powertech | Guardian | Assassin | Sniper | Sage
Guild Website | Stream | Twitter

Bonesmello
07.24.2012 , 10:18 AM | #3
We are doing 8man, sorry I forgot to mention that. We do have a marauder and he's pretty much the only reason reason we can run out when it doesn't bug. How does the sniper strat work? Does he not get pulled in if he hits entrench? I never though of that before.

We have two tanks obviously in 8man. Our main problem is the tank swapping. 80% of the time it works, but every few swaps, Kephess gets an extra hit in as he casts does the knockback and that tank gets insta-gibbed.

CitizenFry
07.24.2012 , 11:22 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Bonesmello View Post
We are doing 8man, sorry I forgot to mention that. We do have a marauder and he's pretty much the only reason reason we can run out when it doesn't bug. How does the sniper strat work? Does he not get pulled in if he hits entrench? I never though of that before.

We have two tanks obviously in 8man. Our main problem is the tank swapping. 80% of the time it works, but every few swaps, Kephess gets an extra hit in as he casts does the knockback and that tank gets insta-gibbed.
Yep, your sniper can use a cooldown to avoid the pull, and the rest of your raid can run towards him as they escape to get some protection from his big shield. You may also find it helpful to have the rest of the raid stack up right behind Kephess as he approaches 60%, so they aren't disoriented by the pull.

Kephess shouldn't be hitting your tank between the Savage Arcing Slash knockback and the Breath of the Masters cast. Is it possible your tank is getting knocked back into a purple circle?
Crafting on The Ebon Hawk. PST/mail: Blayze (rep) / K'ron (imp)
Armoring: Commando 26, Reflex 26; Barrel: Patron 26
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26
Ear: Black Hole Mender's MK-2 Relay

Bonesmello
07.24.2012 , 11:45 AM | #5
The tanks death log always says "Savage Arcing Slash for 34k" or something. Does that mean the taunt is too early or late? I don't know the exact mechanics of it because I'm healing. Anything I can pass on to them to help?

CitizenFry
07.24.2012 , 11:50 AM | #6
Savage Arcing Slash shouldn't be hitting for 34k on a tank. I assumed the problem was the tank getting instagibbed by Touch of the Masters - if the problem is Touch, the log will say you were hit by Touch for _exactly_ your max HP.
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26

Bonesmello
07.24.2012 , 11:53 AM | #7
Oh I don't know the exact numbers, I just remember it being big (he has over 26k). I guess that makes sense.

Rehneu
07.24.2012 , 12:00 PM | #8
I am curious...what was your entire group make up broken down into roles? How many melee dps, ranged dps etc did you have? We are trying to down this raid but something is holding us back. I am looking for not only on this fight but, from the start of the raid.

Thanks.

CitizenFry
07.24.2012 , 12:00 PM | #9
Here's a log where I (Blayze) tank well, and my co-tank (Bitte) gets killed (twice) by Touch of the Masters
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlo...,f=45,t=51,b=1

Here's one where I get instagibbed by Touch, and Bitte has to finish:
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlo...,f=16,t=24,b=2

This one we both tank it pretty well:
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlo...,f=45,t=50,b=1

Bonesmello
07.24.2012 , 12:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rehneu View Post
I am curious...what was your entire group make up broken down into roles? How many melee dps, ranged dps etc did you have? We are trying to down this raid but something is holding us back. I am looking for not only on this fight but, from the start of the raid.

Thanks.
I don't know specs, sorry.

2 Jugg tanks
2 melee Jugg/maurader
2 ranged sniper/merc
2 heals sorc/operative

I know it would be way easier if we had access to an assassin or powertech for them to use their pull on bombers. Instead if the walker aoes on a bomb I just have to shield and aoe heal the melee.

I found things become way more consistent if you can figure out how to avoid damage so your healers are free to contribute dps. I burn through a lot of force but have chances to regen in later phases. We burn the walker to 58% on the first bomb. On the third bomb the tanks and healers will be busy so you need that head start.