Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why Hero Engine Bioware?


Sporin's Avatar


Sporin
07.24.2012 , 05:27 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Toweleeeie View Post
They needed a cheap engine bc they spent all the money on VO.
You sure it wasn't beers and a Ferrari each? Something cost waaaaay more than it should, some 2-bit unknown actors & a bad engine shouldn't have been 50,000 yet alone 2 million (or whatever it is now, the figure changes each week on here lol), something is very fishy, ofc mister lucas took a big bite as always, but somethings amiss!
I'd have paid 2 mill tops, not 200! EA needs it's head examined.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

Suromir's Avatar


Suromir
07.24.2012 , 06:10 AM | #22
because..quite frankly..despite those that won't admit it. BioWare is NOT the same company it used to be. Now whether that's due to BioWare themselves, EA, or a combination of both doesn't matter.

they cut way too many corners now-a-days..look at DA2 as the "best" example (prob worst game they've EVER produced with the most corners cut)

I used to swear by BioWare. Favorite company EVER....now they're just another Activision/Ubi Soft/etc...

I could go on for pages with reasons why this is.

but there ya go. That's the reason...because they seem to think it's "ok" to cut these corners and yet they're still so "high and mighty" about themselves because of past games that they feel they can do no wrong.

it's honestly sad. And I wish they'd bounce back. Sadly, under EA, it won't happen.

turjake's Avatar


turjake
07.24.2012 , 06:39 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Suromir View Post
because..quite frankly..despite those that won't admit it. BioWare is NOT the same company it used to be. Now whether that's due to BioWare themselves, EA, or a combination of both doesn't matter.

they cut way too many corners now-a-days..look at DA2 as the "best" example (prob worst game they've EVER produced with the most corners cut)

I used to swear by BioWare. Favorite company EVER....now they're just another Activision/Ubi Soft/etc...

I could go on for pages with reasons why this is.

but there ya go. That's the reason...because they seem to think it's "ok" to cut these corners and yet they're still so "high and mighty" about themselves because of past games that they feel they can do no wrong.

it's honestly sad. And I wish they'd bounce back. Sadly, under EA, it won't happen.
I think they are, and always have been very good at producing something that still works even when they run out of time. Take KOTOR 2 for example of a game where the company ran out of time and it shows.

Unfortunately the EA model seems to be 2 years per game. While it works with sports games and COD kind of games with a lot less story writing, rpg:s might need more time to keep the quality up.

kevlarto's Avatar


kevlarto
07.24.2012 , 06:49 AM | #24
Because the company that sold the use of the engine to Bioware made the best sales pitch..that simple../shrug
Do not dwell in the past, do not not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Expectations lead to suffering

Suromir's Avatar


Suromir
07.24.2012 , 06:49 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by turjake View Post
I think they are, and always have been very good at producing something that still works even when they run out of time. Take KOTOR 2 for example of a game where the company ran out of time and it shows.

Unfortunately the EA model seems to be 2 years per game. While it works with sports games and COD kind of games with a lot less story writing, rpg:s might need more time to keep the quality up.
no. KotOR 2 was made by Obsidian..BioWare had NOTHING to do with it...nor the time-frame of it.

and no they're not the same company. the "real" BioWare would NEVER have done what they did to DA2...as just ONE example.

wrong wrong and wrong.

but thanks for playing.

--Grim--'s Avatar


--Grim--
07.24.2012 , 07:02 AM | #26
SWTOR didn't fail because of the Hero Engine. It failed because the gameplay design is very poor.

I don't understand the lemming push to blame the Hero Engine for all of SWTOR's failings. If the Devs had created a fun game then the same lemmings would be praising the engine.

The Hero Engine is just a canvas the Devs use to illustrate their designs. The design sucked, not the canvas.

turjake's Avatar


turjake
07.24.2012 , 07:04 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Suromir View Post
no. KotOR 2 was made by Obsidian..BioWare had NOTHING to do with it...nor the time-frame of it.

and no they're not the same company. the "real" BioWare would NEVER have done what they did to DA2...as just ONE example.

wrong wrong and wrong.

but thanks for playing.
I know its made by Obsidian, not Bioware.

Suromir's Avatar


Suromir
07.24.2012 , 07:55 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by turjake View Post
I know its made by Obsidian, not Bioware.
then your "example" has nothing to do with your post nor your point of defending BioWare by saying they're still the same company.

how about DA2? that's not only an example of a rushed (cash grab) game, but so many shortcuts were taken it was sickening..and it WAS BIOWARE.....and if you followed the criticisms...BioWare, esp Gaider, kept defending DA2 and saying us fans "just don't get it" (not that it was a crap game or bad choices were made to cash-in on DA:O's success..but we "didn't get it")

and DA2 is the PERFECT example of MY point that BioWare is NOT the same company anymore...that game was an abortion.

if you're going to make a counterpoint at least have it make sense and have to do with the company you're defending. but again, thanks for playing.

Malastare's Avatar


Malastare
07.24.2012 , 07:57 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonAgeOrgins View Post
Let me make clear. I am not out to bash Bioware.
Yet you are.

You've been trolling this point for months, and over all that time, you still haven't managed to educate yourself at all about how software is actually made. It is very, very common in software development to take an existing package or framework and modify it and build it up for your own purposes.

Did you actually think that they just bought Hero Engine and had a hundred developers working with Photoshop for a few years to create textures? Please at least try to apply some sort of logic here. They bought the engine so they could modify it and re-write it at will. That's why you don't see a "Made with Hero Engine" ad anywhere on SWTOR. What SWTOR uses hasn't been the Hero Engine for a long time. They even mention in those articles that you quote but refuse to understand, that they haven't been able to apply patches from the Hero Engine codebase for a long time because it no longer resembled the SWTOR codebase.

The point of using Hero Engine was that it would allow them to begin prototyping immediately, and that (in my opinion) would be critical to a story-driven game. You'd really need to be able to start setting up the worlds as soon as possible to help the story designers while the core developers continued work writing/re-writing the parts that needed it. Anyone with a decent background in software can see the changes they're making. Even a novice can see that the SWTOR app is multiprocessing, which certainly isn't a function of the Hero Engine.

Do you have any idea at all about how software is developed? Do you understand how code even works?

Not that I expect you to understand this now, of course. You've had this explained to you many times. Why would it suddenly make sense the fifteenth time you read it? Whatever, I guess. Why let ignorance slow you down? Research and actually understanding are for chumps, right?

Looking forward to next week's rehash of this same topic, started off by you.

turjake's Avatar


turjake
07.24.2012 , 08:10 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Suromir View Post
then your "example" has nothing to do with your post nor your point of defending BioWare by saying they're still the same company.

how about DA2? that's not only an example of a rushed (cash grab) game, but so many shortcuts were taken it was sickening..and it WAS BIOWARE.....and if you followed the criticisms...BioWare, esp Gaider, kept defending DA2 and saying us fans "just don't get it" (not that it was a crap game or bad choices were made to cash-in on DA:O's success..but we "didn't get it")

and DA2 is the PERFECT example of MY point that BioWare is NOT the same company anymore...that game was an abortion.

if you're going to make a counterpoint at least have it make sense and have to do with the company you're defending. but again, thanks for playing.
Maybe you should reread my post and try to understand it too before you rant some more. Ill help, first 2 sentences is enough.