Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why Hero Engine Bioware?

spectreclees
07.24.2012 , 12:43 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by turjake View Post
So many negative posts below that. Quite sad to be honest.

DragonAgeOrgins
07.24.2012 , 12:50 AM | #12
Let me make clear. I am not out to bash Bioware. I actually played their product's from Dragon Age Orgins and bought ever DLC afterwards. I have bought all the mass effect title and I am a active poster on their personal forums. Yet I find something very disturbing.

It seems in the span of seven months, at least seven separate threads with countless replys have been asking the question "Why pick this engine" with no direct answer from Bioware. It only leaves me to find answer's else where. On the main topic of this thread I have updated a statement directly from Hero Engine website provided to me by other posters.

Since the very lack or non information from the people themselves. I had to go this route. Clearly this engine wasn't even ready when they picked it out. It was most likely not even prepared to go fast which explain the long loading screens. It just never got done.

I only wish the company itself would have clearly and honestly told the players about this. Since we are posting on their forum's there is no reason for them not to see it and more over ignore it. Nearly almost every flaw in the game ..leads back to the engine. Loading screens, the down times.

spectreclees
07.24.2012 , 12:54 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonAgeOrgins View Post
Let me make clear. I am not out to bash Bioware. I actually played their product's from Dragon Age Orgins and bought ever DLC afterwards. I have bought all the mass effect title and I am a active poster on their personal forums. Yet I find something very disturbing.

It seems in the span of seven months, at least seven separate threads with countless replys have been asking the question "Why pick this engine" with no direct answer from Bioware. It only leaves me to find answer's else where. On the main topic of this thread I have updated a statement directly from Hero Engine website provided to me by other posters.

Since the very lack or non information from the people themselves. I had to go this route. Clearly this engine wasn't even ready when they picked it out. It was most likely not even prepared to go fast which explain the long loading screens. It just never got done.

I only wish the company itself would have clearly and honestly told the players about this. Since we are posting on their forum's there is no reason for them not to see it and more over ignore it. Nearly almost every flaw in the game ..leads back to the engine. Loading screens, the down times.
To be honest with you from an avid MMO poster myself. The lack of communication these past weeks and lack of Q&A questions this week is starting to make me feel like they are closing up shop or making a big company decision soon (Going F2P). This is just my pure speculation on the matter. I'll get flamed for it but it's just my opinion on the matter.

Calroon
07.24.2012 , 12:58 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by spectreclees View Post
To be honest with you from an avid MMO poster myself. The lack of communication these past weeks and lack of Q&A questions this week is starting to make me feel like they are closing up shop or making a big company decision soon (Going F2P). This is just my pure speculation on the matter. I'll get flamed for it but it's just my opinion on the matter.
If you get flamed for it, you're probably right

turjake
07.24.2012 , 12:59 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonAgeOrgins View Post

You are just spamming the same claim over and over. In other words you are trolling.

Somokon
07.24.2012 , 01:00 AM | #16
Middleware is used extensively throughout the industry nowadays. The hero engine has nothing to do with the games problems. They used it to prototype and have been building on the source code for years. Any faults with the game are Biowares alone. EA does not attract top engineering talent.

Reetus
07.24.2012 , 04:25 AM | #17
If they had made their own engine, the game wouldn't even be released for a few more years.

Bioware aren't just paying $99/year for access to HeroCloud, they would've paid $million+ for a full source code license.

With the enormity of the size of the world in SWTOR, it would've made sense to use an engine with lots of rapid prototyping/designing tools like HeroEngine.

And I'm sure the engine has been modified so much by Bioware it would be virtually indistinguishable from HeroEngine now.

DKDArtagnan
07.24.2012 , 04:32 AM | #18
People like to blame the engine - but AFAIK, it was just a platform to build upon.

Personally, I think it has less to do with what engine they chose - and more to do with how they implemented animations. They wanted "heroic" combat visually - and in my opinion, they succeeded. You can say what you want about SWtOR - but the MOVES/ANIMATIONS look pretty damn cool and they animate very smoothly.

But when dozens of people animate in close proximity - the engine bogs down and performance is very bad. They've actually improved this aspect of the game a lot - and with a decent CPU, the WZs are now fully playable and smooth.

However, such elaborate and detailed animations are very, very bad for large scale PvP - which is why you'll find most games with large scale PvP (that work well) are games with very limited animations. Age of Conan suffered similarly - and they've yet to make Sieges fully playable.

DarkZeron
07.24.2012 , 04:48 AM | #19
100$ a year?

Read it again boys, they take 30% income
You have failed me for the last time Admiral Bioware!

Malstrades
07.24.2012 , 05:03 AM | #20
A-bioware cant code for ****
B-bioware is lazy
C-if they wanted and engine, they could have gotten a fully developed state of the art engine from THQ, but chose to make the choice of pretending they are code gods, wich brings us to points A and B.
Tyrusaran 60 sentinel