Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why Hero Engine Bioware?

DragonAgeOrgins
07.24.2012 , 12:08 AM | #1
I am a devoted fan to your games Bioware. I have bought Dragon Age Orgins, DA2. Mass Effect 1-2-3. My screen name is "Dragon Age Orgins" from my research I conculded a bunch of the problem's in TOR are not the compelling story game play but the engine itself.

Hero Engine is made from a small time Colony Studios they charge about hundred dollars a year to access their server's and build your game. I must ask why when you are given one of the biggest budget's in MMO history. A great George Lucas Game, why would you pick a small time company to create such a massive game on.

It's simply would have been better to create your own engine, more expensive and time consuming. You bet. But nearly all the problems with the game not being fluid design. They all trace back to the engine itself. The down times, the graphics. It was done to save costs I get that but was it worth this?

I'm not bashing the game. I'm not looking just to insult you. It may come across that way. I am really honestly trying to get a direct NON PR answer to this. It's kinda obvious to just ignore it. Just please break it down for me, for us. Help us understand.

Edited: Quote from Hero Engine's website to offer clues

http://www.heroengine.com/2011/11/he...eets-starwars/

“I need this,” said Gordon. “I am about to start a special project and these tools will let us build and prototype fast and get something running in a hurry.” Gordon is not an excitable guy by nature but this had his adrenaline flowing. “This is just what I need! I want to license your engine.”

We had thought about offering our engine and tools to developers but we had expected that we would have to actually ship a game first, like Epic did with Unreal Tournament before they licensed the original Unreal Engine.

“It’s not productized yet,” we told Gordon. “There are whole sections of code that is only roughed in and not optimized for performance or security. And there are very few comments and very little documentation.”

He didn’t care. “We are going to have tons of engineers. We can finish it ourselves. We’re going to want to modify your source code for our special project anyway.”

turjake
07.24.2012 , 12:20 AM | #3
If you search the forums a bit, you will find the same thread with more answers. Also if you search the internet a bit you will see that the engine they are using in swtor is not necessarily similar at all with current hero engine.

Edit: someones link-fu is faster...

elitenz
07.24.2012 , 12:24 AM | #4
Because Bioware are very lazy and all the short cuts they have taken to bring us SWTOR has really made the game just a system resource hog We all know Bioware loves there gloss but the bad choice of engine has now shown and put it on a downhill slide.

DragonAgeOrgins
07.24.2012 , 12:25 AM | #5
Do they ever give any answers.

I'm looking through the links. I even see some mod's posting rules about the topic. No answer is given. If they goofed up. Fine but TELL US this. People notice they is a problem, ignoring it only makes people start to talk about why they are keeping quiet.

Toweleeeie
07.24.2012 , 12:26 AM | #6
They needed a cheap engine bc they spent all the money on VO.

IMO I think they should have went with the Unreal Engine 3.5. They already had the rights to use it bc of ME 1,2, and 3.
Combine Force Melt and Cauterize. Combine Defencive Forums and Defencive Roll. Call it a day.

DragonAgeOrgins
07.24.2012 , 12:31 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Toweleeeie View Post
They needed a cheap engine bc they spent all the money on VO.

IMO I think they should have went with the Unreal Engine 3.5. They already had the rights to use it bc of ME 1,2, and 3.
I'm looking at Hero Engine website. This is unreal.

HeroCloud is Here!
Download
ONE SOLUTION TO BUILD AND OPERATE YOUR ONLINE GAME

Build ANY TYPE of online game and get access to the HeroEngine for just $99 a year.
Publish your game as a stand-alone client, stream it to players or let them play it on the web.
We handle & pay for all your servers, hosting, bandwidth & 3rd party technology.
You keep 70% of the money your game makes.

End Quote

So ANYONE can pretty much just pay 100 dollars and get access to Hero Engine. Instead of building their own engine they used a small time company's..

Why

The budget for this game was massive. It should have easily paid for some high tech coders to create a new engine for them to work with. This is why big time corporations don't deal with small time company's. It's game was too massive for the Hero Engine.

Making it been clunky and weird at times. All in the interest in saving some money. If they would have kept their own engine I am betting we wouldn't have two downtime a week and massive problems. I just hope they answer us directly in a long detailed answer, to confirm what we already know.

spectreclees
07.24.2012 , 12:32 AM | #8
Because they honestly didn't expect a game that was based off story to be successful? Who knows?

turjake
07.24.2012 , 12:35 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonAgeOrgins View Post
Do they ever give any answers.

I'm looking through the links. I even see some mod's posting rules about the topic. No answer is given. If they goofed up. Fine but TELL US this. People notice they is a problem, ignoring it only makes people start to talk about why they are keeping quiet.
http://www.heroengine.com/2011/11/he...eets-starwars/

Some more info.

DragonAgeOrgins
07.24.2012 , 12:43 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by turjake View Post
This get's even more unreal. Thanks for the link. I'm updating the main question with this article in mind placing in bold the parts I find interesting.

“I need this,” said Gordon. “I am about to start a special project and these tools will let us build and prototype fast and get something running in a hurry.” Gordon is not an excitable guy by nature but this had his adrenaline flowing. “This is just what I need! I want to license your engine.”

We had thought about offering our engine and tools to developers but we had expected that we would have to actually ship a game first, like Epic did with Unreal Tournament before they licensed the original Unreal Engine.

“It’s not productized yet,” we told Gordon. “There are whole sections of code that is only roughed in and not optimized for performance or security. And there are very few comments and very little documentation.”

He didn’t care. “We are going to have tons of engineers. We can finish it ourselves. We’re going to want to modify your source code for our special project anyway.”

End Quote

Totally unreal but explains so much. It was not optimized from the start. Something people with loading long screens and two down times a week will notice. Why it takes so long to load and why it's so unstable at times. I find it highly interesting.

That Bioware stone wall's us on this issue over seven month's and not a word to comment. Yet on Hero Engine own website they detail how the meeting went and with their own admission they clearly stated the engine wasn't ready.

Despite the warnings. They took the engine anyways and from layoff's I doubt it will get worked out anytime soon. Just wow.