Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

server lag

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Metalmac
08.06.2012 , 02:09 PM | #11
After searching the Forums for any mention of BioWare working on fixing Server Lag I could only find one that said they fixed it over and over and over.

Free to Play will make paying customers leave this game as who would pay for worse lag on purpose?

BlackSpin
08.08.2012 , 02:09 AM | #12
Dude, you have a ton more patience than I do... And would hope Bioware appreciates it. I flat out refuse to do any work, when an 8 man group with people from all over the world in it, get lag at the same time. Or are having issues at peak times using instant abilities. FIX THIS BIOWARE, pick up a Cisco book, whether it's load or other network problems.... It's getting bad.

Sutii
08.10.2012 , 12:55 AM | #13 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello everyone,

We are aware that some players are experiencing ongoing issues of this nature and would request that you please do ensure that you have followed all advised troubleshooting steps in an effort to resolve the problem. Please see the spoiler below for the steps to follow:

Spoiler
If after ensuring you have followed each of those steps, the issue is still present, please contact Customer Service by emailing support@swtor.com with a description of the issue and all the troubleshooting steps that you have tried. Additionally, please attach to this email the information requested within the spoiler below, doing so should help speed our response, as we will not need to request this information from you.

Spoiler
We do apologise for the inconvenience and frustration that you may be experiencing due to this issue, but please do work through the provided steps as advised and we hope that your issue is resolved as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

BlackSpin
08.10.2012 , 01:01 AM | #14
I refuse to troubleshoot YOUR NETWORK. YOU DO IT. This lag is not my connection, as it's happening to all members of the group that live around the world, at the same time (confirmed in Vent. and in /general). There's a pretty big troubleshooting clue for you. The only network we have in common is yours.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sutii View Post
Hello everyone,

We are aware that some players are experiencing ongoing issues of this nature and would request that you please do ensure that you have followed all advised troubleshooting steps in an effort to resolve the problem. Please see the spoiler below for the steps to follow:

Spoiler
If after ensuring you have followed each of those steps, the issue is still present, please contact Customer Service by emailing support@swtor.com with a description of the issue and all the troubleshooting steps that you have tried. Additionally, please attach to this email the information requested within the spoiler below, doing so should help speed our response, as we will not need to request this information from you.

Spoiler
We do apologise for the inconvenience and frustration that you may be experiencing due to this issue, but please do work through the provided steps as advised and we hope that your issue is resolved as soon as possible.

Metalmac
08.10.2012 , 04:35 PM | #15
Hello everyone,

Spoiler

Spoiler

Here is my post that did EXACTLY what you requested:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...ght=server+lag

Server Lag for 8 people at the same time from all over the USA and Canada in the same Flash Point is at BioWare end.
Players posting this stuff has nothing to do with the Lag that starts at BioWare end as shown by my research!!
(I even provide a better tool to see the problem is at your end.)

Metalmac
08.10.2012 , 04:44 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Pangscar View Post
Yeah its clear that there is an issue with BioWares instance servers. Before the server mergers I and my guild experienced NO lag or latency issues. After the server merges with the new large populations, low and behold we get massive lag spikes during raids on a nightly basis. No I wont send in log, no I won't call my ISP. YOU BioWare play your own game, go into a EC raid at primetime and see for yourself.

To insist that the issue is on our end and ask us to do diagnostics and such is just disgraceful. Truth is you might as well make the game Fully F2p because the current state of End Game is not worth a sub fee.
Clearly from my data you can see that the jumps of slower speed starts at the first hop at BioWare and continues to be slower then all my other connections. Adding up the BioWare hops is 151ms and that is totally unacceptable for a game network. From my end to BioWare first hop is twice as fast as even the first 3 hops at BioWare end.

Really 29ms each hop for a game server when my crap connection is total of 90ms at my end for all hops?

grezgorz
08.10.2012 , 05:12 PM | #17
So this is the 'new technology' that allows for higher server polulations? Sounds like they either cheaped out on hardware or put an unrealistically low transfer cap on client connections. EA cutting corners again; no surprise there. Another good studio pillaged and razed to the ground. RIP Bioware.

Sutii
08.10.2012 , 06:46 PM | #18 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackSpin View Post
I refuse to troubleshoot YOUR NETWORK. YOU DO IT. This lag is not my connection, as it's happening to all members of the group that live around the world, at the same time (confirmed in Vent. and in /general). There's a pretty big troubleshooting clue for you. The only network we have in common is yours.
Hello BlackSpin,

While I can appreciate that being requested to perform such steps may add to your frustration, I do hope you reconsider as the more information we receive, the better our investigations into such reports can be.

Thanks.

Quote: Originally Posted by Metalmac View Post
Here is my post that did EXACTLY what you requested:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...ght=server+lag

Server Lag for 8 people at the same time from all over the USA and Canada in the same Flash Point is at BioWare end.
Players posting this stuff has nothing to do with the Lag that starts at BioWare end as shown by my research!!
(I even provide a better tool to see the problem is at your end.)
Quote: Originally Posted by Metalmac View Post
Clearly from my data you can see that the jumps of slower speed starts at the first hop at BioWare and continues to be slower then all my other connections. Adding up the BioWare hops is 151ms and that is totally unacceptable for a game network. From my end to BioWare first hop is twice as fast as even the first 3 hops at BioWare end.

Really 29ms each hop for a game server when my crap connection is total of 90ms at my end for all hops?
Hello again Metalmac,

Apologies for not replying to you directly previously, I did of course see your previous posts supplying the requested information and would like to thank you for that. Please do note that we are addressing this slightly differently to my original reply in this thread now, in that we now require the requested information be sent through to support@swtor.com in order for it to be investigated further.

Additionally, I would like to point out that the times indicated in traceroutes are not cumulative but are instead 'round trip times' to the listed hop. Based on the traceroute you supplied on page one, it would appear that it takes around 30ms for your data to reach the server and return to your computer, this is a fairly normal response time.

I was also of the understanding, from other threads, that your issue had been resolved. If however this is not the case I do apologise, and would kindly request that you please do follow the advice given in my previous post and send the requested information through to support@swtor.com so that it can be investigated further and a resolution identified for you as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Metalmac
08.11.2012 , 02:30 PM | #19
Hello BlackSpin,

While I can appreciate that being requested to perform such steps may add to your frustration, I do hope you reconsider as the more information we receive, the better our investigations into such reports can be.

Thanks.

Hello again Metalmac,

Apologies for not replying to you directly previously, I did of course see your previous posts supplying the requested information and would like to thank you for that. Please do note that we are addressing this slightly differently to my original reply in this thread now, in that we now require the requested information be sent through to support@swtor.com in order for it to be investigated further.

Additionally, I would like to point out that the times indicated in traceroutes are not cumulative but are instead 'round trip times' to the listed hop. Based on the traceroute you supplied on page one, it would appear that it takes around 30ms for your data to reach the server and return to your computer, this is a fairly normal response time.

I was also of the understanding, from other threads, that your issue had been resolved. If however this is not the case I do apologise, and would kindly request that you please do follow the advice given in my previous post and send the requested information through to support@swtor.com so that it can be investigated further and a resolution identified for you as soon as possible.

Thanks.
You are correct that my lag issues are almost gone but this post is on SERVER LAG and that current issue is still alive and kicking.
Server lag is as I stated when at the first hop at BioWare end the first game router is 29ms, then every single hop after that is 30ms or more.
So clearly the biggest slowdown is at YOUR end as that is 5 separate hops at 30ms each or 150ms total.

As per my research game servers should be faster then my home connection, especially since you purpose is to serve many players.
Why did you not address this issue?

warriorcat
08.11.2012 , 02:40 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackSpin View Post
you do relise they need all the detail possible to fix the correct person and send your connection in a differnt direction if it is their side. for example it could be ip address 255.255.255.234 yet they need to find the correct one to see if they can get a work around, you dont help it goes slower

if you notice u connect to a uk server from us you will not get server lag which you are getting due to you not going through the same ports