Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Low Framerate Issues

lunakatty
12.19.2011 , 04:46 AM | #21
hey so i just went to geforce's website and updated my geforce 8500gt's driver to the latest and the frame rate went from 3-5 frames to 15 frames average.

1.8ghz dual core
2 gigs ram
win XP
DSL internet
Geforce 8500GT video card.

Its playable at 15FPS. I still have the 8800gts to pop in yet so
12/13 December crew! Better late than never

Drofzz
12.19.2011 , 05:01 AM | #22
Windows 7
Intel Core i7 2600 (3400 MHz)
12GB DDR3 (1333 MHz) Ram
AMD Radeon HD 6850

Running smooth (60fps)here, never had a problem.. only when i alt+tab the screen goes black, and i have to restart the client.. so now i run in window mode, so that dont happen anymore
[ịiị██████ịịΘịịị{▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

PolarSeven
12.20.2011 , 09:35 AM | #23
Getting bad stutter and intermittent frame rate drops.

Low or high graphics settings make little difference (even on frame rate).

Windows 7
Quad core
8gig ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti

chromez
12.20.2011 , 09:52 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Xairon View Post
I have been getting from 5 - 25 fps, with semi-constant screen locks (Where the screen freezes for a few seconds, with stuttering sound before returning to normal) happening even 3-5 minutes. It doesn't seem to effect the frames, or frequency of the screen locks whether I am on Full High Settings (Minus Shadows), or Fully Low Settings and lower resolution.

My computer is "Low End" for this game, and I am aware of that, and I am wondering if the real issue the processor or the graphics card. I'm curious to know if this issue can be fixed cheaper and easier than simply buying a new computer.
--------------------------------------
Dell XPS Gen 3 (Yeeee Buddy)

Intel Pentium 4 Single Core (3.40Ghz)
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GS <--
3 GB RAM DDR2
---------------------------------------
I know this game "requires" a dual core processor, and most MMOs need them to run well, but the graphics card could be dated enough to cause bad FPS as well.

I'd appreciate the help/opinions!
a single core at 3.4 should be able to run this but your gpu is a little dated but the 8800 was a good gpu but i have a dual core 2.8 6 gigs of ram and a hd 5670 and i am also getting framerate drops some places ill be running 100 fps like in my ship and out in the world ill be at 60 to 70 and every like 30 secs it will drop to like 25 fps it so annoying i should be able to run this game on at least medium and def low with no prob and i read that witht he old engine this game is running that dual core is better then quad cause as of right now the game isnt using more then 2 cpu that why some people with quads are having issue sorry for my spelling but i am not picking my game up today because of wut is going on im going to wait a few days see if things get better hopefully they do

Vitalis
12.20.2011 , 10:40 AM | #25
@Xairon

Overall yes you could use and upgrade but there are some tricks to make TOR smoother.

1. Instal new drivers.
2. Turn all detail preset to high. Then log into game and turn the preset to low again.
(silly but lot of ppl myself included say it works)
3. Slide graphics screen down and slide grass and trees to 0% . (those sliders are not visible at first so many people overlook them)
4. Switch shadows to off (they are set to low at "low" preset)
5. Switch game mode from fullscreen to fullscreen (windowed)
6. Tweak Nvidia control panel to maximum performance (no help here since i got radeons on both machines )

By those steps i managed to get TOR on my wife's laptop (also one on the edge of minimum specs) from unplayable 6-30 frames to stable constant 20+ fps all the time.

And yes ours laptop also have 3 gigs of ram so thats not the issue. And the game itself has memory leaks and sh.it cause on my machine (core2duo,4gb ram, radeon 4770) i also gets below 20fps sometimes.
...we got cookies....
Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Vitaliss lvl 53 Sith Sorcery Healer
Beta Tester

masonb
12.20.2011 , 11:01 AM | #26
Ok, so I am going to tell what I think of this situation. Note that I am playing on a low end laptop, but am still able to play WoW on high, and Skyrim and medium perfectly. SWTOR is very demanding on computers causing them to overheat. I recently bought an external cooling fan for my laptop because of this. I currently run this game in the 20-40 FPS which is fine for me, but it does drop occasionally to below 10 FPS. I have noticed this when other non NPCs are around or in combat.

My roommate, whom just spent over 1000 dollars on his new laptop, is playing the game at about 60 FPS. He still has bad FPS drops though. What I don't get is why Bioware has made a MMO that is so demanding that you practically have to have above the recommended settings to play the game at an ok rate. If Bioware doesn't fix this, I think they will lose a lot of players just because of the fact that people don't want to spend 1000s of dollars on a new computer to play one game, especially when they can go back to WoW or something of that sort.

I do believe Bioware has had many people complain about this and they are trying to fix it, or improve gameplay. I think they are not acknowledging it though. If they said they were working on the patch, people would complain about them taking too long or constantly asking about it. Just wait a week or so, if not sooner, to see if they improve or fix the problem.

Lord_Scythe
12.20.2011 , 11:03 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Your_dominus View Post
The reason is right there. All of it,lol
Not enough ram, single core cpu, and low end old gpu.
You would get the most noticable, needed performance boost upgrading to at least a newer dual core.
And you should be on at least 4gb of ram. not 3.
Your ram is probably running in single channel, and it's not enough for gaming.
I run two 8800 gts in an SLI configuration with everything on max and have no issues at all.

To original OP:

How up to date are your drivers?
To quote well me "Go be stupid on your own time!"

Bernhart
12.20.2011 , 08:14 PM | #28
Gf has 5-15fps
-intel core i3 550
-4g ddr3 ram
ati radeon hd 5450 512mb

lowest of the low, with everything disabled

Have tried all updates, virus scans, manually configuring page file, fix guides and recommended settings.

please help, she is losing interest in swtor and falling back into the game of which we do not speak.
-Ewok Population Control-
Bounty Hunter: Mercenary
"Limited Collector's Editionx3"

skyvortex
12.20.2011 , 09:19 PM | #29
My system is high-mid level and i have terrible FPS. It was fine two days ago and one of the quick fixes did something.
Its not on the consumer end trust me.
Quote: Originally Posted by Nizdeb View Post
I want to punch you in the face Skyvortex