Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Launcher Won't Open

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

zorano
07.22.2012 , 06:45 PM | #1

The game launcher will not open. It starts to load in processes but never completely opens.
I have turned off all anti-virus and firewalls. It still does not open.
I have tried Fixlauncher, still does not open.
I downloaded the installed and uninstalled/reinstalled the game... it still does not open.
I did a system restore on my computer, still does not open.
I used 2 different versions of the swtor.setup one from today and one form 6/29
after uninstall/reinstall of both, still does not open.
I restart my computer between every uninstall and reinstall attempt.

I have done everything listed on the Launcher troubleshooting link.
I have done everything listed in another thread about Launcher won't load.

And now I have installed the game from the original disks. And the launcher will still not open.

Help please.

Sutii
07.22.2012 , 06:52 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings zorano,

When you try to run the Launcher, and it appears in the Task Manager but not on screen, please go to the following location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
Here, you should find a folder called 'Patch', please delete this.

Once this is complete, please run the FixLauncher.exe utility, which can be found in the same location, then please try to start the Launcher again.

Let us know how you get on.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

zorano
07.22.2012 , 06:58 PM | #3
Thank you for attempting to help me.

I have followed your steps twice, with no change. The Launcher still won't open completley.

It appears the FixLauncher stops working and just disappears at 83%
Or perhaps it jumps from 83 to 100 very fast and then closes but.. I'm not certain.

Sutii
07.22.2012 , 08:33 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello again zorano,

Could you please try the following for me:
  1. Open 'Control Panel'
  2. Select 'Network and Internet'
  3. Click on 'Internet Options'
  4. Open the 'Connections' Tab in the window that opened
  5. Click on 'LAN settings' near the bottom of the window
  6. Ensure that 'Automatically detect settings' is deselected in the window that pops up
  7. Click 'OK' to close both windows and save the setting
After doing this could you please try to run the Launcher again.

Let us know if this resolves your issue or if you require further assistance.

Thanks.

zorano
07.22.2012 , 09:11 PM | #5
Dear Sutii

Thank you once again for trying!

I tried this but the launcher still does not open completely.
It shows up in processes for approximately 20 to 30 seconds and then disappears.

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to help!
I am hopeful with each new attempt, eventually one has to work.

Sutii
07.22.2012 , 09:42 PM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello again zorano,

Thank you for trying these troubleshooting steps, I do appreciate that it is very frustrating encountering issues of this nature when attempting to play.

As it is still not resolved, could you please try creating a new Windows administrator user account and then try running the Launcher again when logged in to this new account.

Please let me know here if this proves successful.

Thanks.

AcidWashAvenger
07.23.2012 , 07:48 AM | #7
Hey there Sutii,

I'm having the same issue, have for about two weeks. It's taken until now for me to do the "create a new Windows Account" fix, because I object to it on some gut level, as being a workaround, not a fix. However, speaking of fixes.... I tried it today, and although my new account has administrator access, and I tell it to run as administrator, I get an error message that tells me "Please run with Administrator Privileges." Any help would be appreciated.

I do have a question on the side here: Why would that work if people going so crazy far as to reinstall Windows wouldn't work?

Quote: Originally Posted by Sutii View Post
Hello again zorano,

Thank you for trying these troubleshooting steps, I do appreciate that it is very frustrating encountering issues of this nature when attempting to play.

As it is still not resolved, could you please try creating a new Windows administrator user account and then try running the Launcher again when logged in to this new account.

Please let me know here if this proves successful.

Thanks.

Cerimon
07.23.2012 , 08:08 AM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings AcidWashAvenger,

Please right click on your launcher shortcut and click properties, click the compatibility tab, at the bottom click on 'Change settings for all users', then choose to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and also to 'Run this program as an administrator'. Click Apply and OK and OK again. Try to run the game normally and report back with the details if you have a continuing issue.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

zorano
07.23.2012 , 08:09 AM | #9
I received an email from Customer Support with the following suggestion:

Please reset your internet explorer as per this link:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Open your Control Panel
Select Internet Options
Click on the Connections Tab
At the bottom please open the LAN settings

Please ensure that no setting in there is currently ticked, if so please uncheck the box and save the changes.

Once the above has been complete please try launching the game again.

This seems to have worked! I am now downloading the game.
It is odd as I do not even use Internet Explorer... but as long as it works, I'm happy.
I did not made a new admin account.

I suggest you submit a ticket via the website http://www.swtor.com/support/form, Acid.
They will reply and ask you to run a LauncherDiag to see exactly what your problem is.

I appreciate all the help here Sutii!!
Prompt and kind customer service is a big factor in whether I will continue to invest in a game.
Thank you!

AcidWashAvenger
07.23.2012 , 08:36 AM | #10
Cerimon, I can report that fix did not work. It did, however, show me that the problem does exist on both profiles, so at least I can delete that other one.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
Greetings AcidWashAvenger,

Please right click on your launcher shortcut and click properties, click the compatibility tab, at the bottom click on 'Change settings for all users', then choose to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and also to 'Run this program as an administrator'. Click Apply and OK and OK again. Try to run the game normally and report back with the details if you have a continuing issue.

Thank you for your cooperation.