Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

"because your bad"- it's not an argument

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
"because your bad"- it's not an argument

FodderofCannon's Avatar


FodderofCannon
07.21.2012 , 04:59 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by EnzoForMe View Post
Skill level directly correlates to understanding of the game and how to pvp competitively. Excuse me if I don't take the level 20 sawbones who complains about how his heals are subpar without his man hots yet seriously. And then he rerolls sent thinking it's just the class, only to let me kill him in 3 gcds. Have at least valor 60 or you haven't played enough to know. Even at valor 83 I'm still learning more about my class and optimal pvp.
The reality is this it doesn't matter if you think this. It's still a fallacy.

Bur as a side: Do you think that the developers all have valor 60 characters? If they do not: do you think you have more knowledge of how the game is designed than the people the people that actually designed it? Not an exhaustive example, but one that does illustrate why the fallacy exists in the first place.

Would a civilian not be able to tell if the American army is superior to the Iraq Army even though the civilian has no military knowledge?

The fallacy exists for a reason, you just have to treat everyone with fairness instead of prejudging them. Even if in the end your prejudice is right, the fallacy still exists for a reason.
Learn to Think
L2T

Twor's Avatar


Twor
07.21.2012 , 05:01 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by FodderofCannon View Post


They are rules of logic, you don't like rules, I get it.

Also you just attacked my person, where I did not attack yours.

See the difference?
Erm. Great contradiction in three lines. I also said latin words are not rocket science, if you think that is an insult its your way to see.
But sry you fail at argumentation (statement, fact as shown in the quote above so not an insult). Like the three lines alone demonstrate.
Quote: Originally Posted by fungihoujo View Post
BW motto- If it ain't broke, break it. If it is broke, take it away.

Drungus's Avatar


Drungus
07.21.2012 , 05:02 PM | #13
If someone says "your bad" to you then just reply "it's "you're" you failure".

FodderofCannon's Avatar


FodderofCannon
07.21.2012 , 05:04 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Skolops View Post
Wow, guys... Honestly, anyone who thinks that was a serious reply really needs to get out more.

Yes, it was a joke. Moreso, actually, it was an attempt to respond with the same level of value I saw in the original post. It's not that he's wrong about what he says. Rather, it's that I think its really somewhat absurd that he thinks this post is really all that constructive, in my opinion. Anyone who thinks "You're bad" is an argument and is posting on an MMO forums is pretty much beyond the hope of being instructed in logical fallacies. This is so obvious that I almost think the OP is trolling in any case.
The reality is that many people use this fallacy ALL THE TIME (not just in this context, but everywhere, why do think negative adds work so well in politics?) and think they have nailed it. They simply haven't been educated about logic. People like to justify this fallacy because it is so commonly used by most people think its valid. It's the old "repeat it often enough and people will believe anything."
Learn to Think
L2T

Gidoru's Avatar


Gidoru
07.21.2012 , 05:08 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by FodderofCannon View Post
I understand a lot of you kids have never gone to college or studied any form of logical thinking, so maybe you think this is actually a reasonble argument. I mean the motivation for someone posting is imporatant right? They are bad so they complain about something. You think because they have motivation to post something that invalidates their opinon.

NO. Just no. Their motivation is irrelevant to the argument they use. It is the evidence that they present that matters. So even if you could prove they are the worst player on the planet; IT STILL WOULD NOT MATTER. It is the evidence they present in their argument that matters, you have to deal with that: not "if they are bad or not".

In logic this is what we call argument ad hominem, or "attack of the person". I know politicians do it all the time, I know in grade 6 school yard they do it, it is used all the time, but in LOGIC it is a fallacy.

Any time you use it: You FAIL.

http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/person.html
For someone who has supposedly gone to college and studied logical thinking, you'd think you know the difference because your and you're. Because you're bad.

I guess YOUR just too smart for everyone.

Furthermore, most people do not post arguments or evidence. Any 'evidence' they might post is usually ancidotal and therefore the fact that they are bad at the game is quite relevant.

Skolops's Avatar


Skolops
07.21.2012 , 05:10 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by FodderofCannon View Post
The reality is that many people use this fallacy ALL THE TIME (not just in this context, but everywhere, why do think negative adds work so well in politics?) and think they have nailed it. They simply haven't been educated about logic. People like to justify this fallacy because it is so commonly used by most people think its valid. It's the old "repeat it often enough and people will believe anything."
Are you sure you're not trolling?
El'Skan-Assassin /// Laetrie-Sniper /// Caelie-Slinger /// Fidaeria-Jugg
Armack -Chaetrie -Gaurex -Isdron -Skol'ompara /// Misericordiae -Elnar -Rujko -Sophiya
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

FodderofCannon's Avatar


FodderofCannon
07.21.2012 , 05:11 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Twor View Post
Erm. Great contradiction in three lines. I also said latin words are not rocket science, if you think that is an insult its your way to see.
Veiled insult, but yeah it was directed at me in order to discredit my argument. Come now, be honest . My OP was not directed at you.

See the difference??

Quote: Originally Posted by Twor View Post
But sry you fail at argumentation (statement, fact as shown in the quote above so not an insult). Like the three lines alone demonstrate.
Even if I fail at one argument (who hasn't failed in one argument?) which I did not here, would not mean I fail at argumentation in general. This is equivalent to saying if someone makes a mistake they always make mistakes. This would be another fallacy called: slippery slope fallacy.

See no Latin.
Learn to Think
L2T

FodderofCannon's Avatar


FodderofCannon
07.21.2012 , 05:12 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Gidoru View Post
For someone who has supposedly gone to college and studied logical thinking, you'd think you know the difference because your and you're. Because you're bad.

I guess YOUR just too smart for everyone.

Furthermore, most people do not post arguments or evidence. Any 'evidence' they might post is usually ancidotal and therefore the fact that they are bad at the game is quite relevant.
Oh come on, attack the person again?? Really?? Are you daft??

This is the internet, spelling is optional.
Learn to Think
L2T

Gidoru's Avatar


Gidoru
07.21.2012 , 05:14 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by FodderofCannon View Post
Oh come on, attack the person again?? Really?? Are you daft??

This is the internet, spelling is optional.
Its called hypocracy. Calling people out for being uneducated while failing at basic spelling and grammar in the same post is just laughable and ruins any credibility you have.

Once again, calling me daft and presuming yourself more intelligent when you fail at basic spelling.

FodderofCannon's Avatar


FodderofCannon
07.21.2012 , 05:17 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Gidoru View Post
Its called irony. Calling people out for being uneducated while failing at basic spelling and grammar in the same post is just laughable.
Yet it's spelling and grammar. Not logic. Also notice the quotes.
Learn to Think
L2T