Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

REWARDS: Items vs. Commendations

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
REWARDS: Items vs. Commendations

GalaxyStrong
07.20.2012 , 03:33 PM | #1
When I complete missions I am usually rewarded with EXP, LIGHT or DARK points, other stuff and the choice between receiving an item or a commendations. What is the better choice, a commendation or item. I am only at level 17 (Sith Lord Jugg) and still on Dromund Kaas. Most of the time I chose commendation over items and that seems to be the right choice ( I think) but will that idea hold true later in the game.
Thanks
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

BadSexyGoddess
07.20.2012 , 04:12 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by GalaxyStrong View Post
When I complete missions I am usually rewarded with EXP, LIGHT or DARK points, other stuff and the choice between receiving an item or a commendations. What is the better choice, a commendation or item. I am only at level 17 (Sith Lord Jugg) and still on Dromund Kaas. Most of the time I chose commendation over items and that seems to be the right choice ( I think) but will that idea hold true later in the game.
Thanks
If the items are not going to be useful now. Then yes the commendation is the best choice. Yes it could hold true till the end. You might here and there get an item that can be useful for character, or companion. But most of the time it won't be useful. Also if your ahead in lvls on each planet.

I have to lvl 50 characters, Sentinal, and Scoundral. Both most of the time the gear wasn't good. Mainly cause i was ahead in lvls. So far working on my Assassin. She seems to be the same way so far.

Inzuher
07.20.2012 , 09:23 PM | #3
I would recomment picking the item if it's useful to you or your companion (especially your companion, since most likely won't be able to gear them otherwise.)

Then again you can use the commendation to buy orange gear and mods to upgrade other orange gear, which is always very useful.
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night, and silences the light.".

FarAwayJedi
07.20.2012 , 10:21 PM | #4
It's all about maximizing the boosts you get (in Stats, Armor/Damage, etc.). Commendations can always get you some useful and very good stuff, and can be especially useful to get good mods if you have the customizable (Orange) gear.

BUT, if you are offered an item that is compatible with your character class (e.g., boosts Strength if you're a Jedi Knight, Cunning if you're a smuggler, etc.) and it's more than 4 levels higher than what you're currently using, it's probably a good idea to pick it. I also like to keep my Companions pretty well-geared up, but that's because I like to do most of my stuff single player and having a strong companion is more useful to me more often than having a characters who's got just a few more good gear items.

If the boost is a non-essential Ability (there are many other threads on that topic here), stay away from it. But otherwise, I just compare the level of what I have and what I'm being offered and use that as my guide.

JacksonMo
07.21.2012 , 12:14 AM | #5
I too, nearly always pick the commendations.
The gear is rarely an upgrade, so unless it's orange, for a slot currently filled by non-mod-able green or blue items, I always take the comms.
Even if you out-level the comms, you can always use them later to give an alt a boost, since commendation mods are boe, while the gear is always bop.
If you can keep them current, blue mods in your custom gear will serve you well enough to make it to 50.