Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanks that demand that healers pull enemies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanks that demand that healers pull enemies

Namw
07.20.2012 , 11:12 AM | #1
I feel like venting. Maybe this is just an isolated incident or maybe there's something I missing.

Why the F would a tank demand for me to pull enemies by ccing enemies at the start?
(I'm a sorcerer so I can whirlwind everything) Literally almost every battle he started getting on my case demanding that I CC. I initially told him it's a bad idea for healers to pull but didn't feel like arguing with him when he started ranting so I just played along with him and did it (And suffered the natural consequences of having to keep myself alive just barely while every *********** thing attacked me)

He demanded to know my mmorpg experience and how much experience I've had playing swtor then went on to lecture me about how he know hows to play this game and something about you're supposed to cc, than I aggro so they don't attack you (which usually never works out as planned.)

I'm wondering why I didn't just tell him to stop ordering me to do stupid **** instead of following his idiotic orders. I think there are times when your not supposed to do what the tanks says and this is one of them. Oh well.

I sincerely hope that this is an isolated incident and that players don't actually expect, let alone demand that the healer initiate every fight with a cc. Sorry, just felt the need to rant, I hate it when you're grouped with people that feel like being jerks.

Tell me if I'm wrong, is there any scenario where it's ok for a tank to demand that the healer initiate combat with a cc?

DiLune
07.20.2012 , 11:26 AM | #2
A) He didn't understand the difference between (for example) an operative's out of combat CC vs yours.
B) He doesn't understand the importance of initial agro.
C) He's a bad tank/player.

You should have ignored him and then CC'd something once he pulled. If he is worth anything, he would have started shutting up.

Namw
07.20.2012 , 11:34 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DiLune View Post
A) He didn't understand the difference between (for example) an operative's out of combat CC vs yours.
B) He doesn't understand the importance of initial agro.
C) He's a bad tank/player.

You should have ignored him and then CC'd something once he pulled. If he is worth anything, he would have started shutting up.
That's what I usually do, he started ranting when I insisted on doing it that way. Oh well, your right should have just ignored him.

Cleet_Xia
07.20.2012 , 04:36 PM | #4
Some people just want ot watch the world burn.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

Chaqen
07.20.2012 , 05:17 PM | #5
What he was trying to do actually works, and is great... but it requires people to have good reaction times and usually to be on voice chat.

DiLune
07.20.2012 , 05:33 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaqen View Post
What he was trying to do actually works, and is great... but it requires people to have good reaction times and usually to be on voice chat.
Now I'm curious. What exactly is he trying to do?

Draqsko
07.20.2012 , 05:39 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DiLune View Post
Now I'm curious. What exactly is he trying to do?
Make the healer's butt hole bigger.. apparently.. Every MMO i've ever played, the tank pulls first, then CCing happens, not the other way around.

Tatile
07.20.2012 , 05:42 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Draqsko View Post
Every MMO i've ever played, the tank pulls first, then CCing happens, not the other way around.
When I tank I generally don't ask my healer to CC. I do, however, either have the instant-cast Sorcerers go first or watch the cast bar of the CC'er and pull half way through the cast. But then I am usually running with guildies - I wouldn't expect a PUG healer to CC unless it was an Operative.

KareBarey
07.20.2012 , 05:49 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Namw View Post
Tell me if I'm wrong, is there any scenario where it's ok for a tank to demand that the healer initiate combat with a cc?
No scenario that I ever heard of. The last thing you want is a healer with aggro on something, much less everything.

XtremJedi
07.20.2012 , 06:41 PM | #10
No the situation does exist in a way, and it is a good tactic if you have the timing right.

The strategy he's probably trying to use, is that you begin casting your Whirlwind and during the cast he'll leap to the group of mobs that he wants to grab. He should still be the first person actually acting on the mobs... but the Sage/Sorc would start casting first. It's a question of timing though... if he leaps too late, then obviously you'll have aggro.

The benefit is that the tactic reduces that big spike of damage a tank has at the beginning of a fight. All of the mobs are hitting on him at the beginning, so during that period he's usually taking a high amount of incoming damage. If you have pre-cast most of your WW cast, then not only does the WW remove one of the mobs more quickly - thus reducing that damage spike at the beginning... but because your CC cast is ended earlier too, you're free to be casting the early heals on the tank. If you wait for him to leap and then start your CC cast... then for that couple of seconds he has more damage incoming and you're not ready to heal him.

This also means, that if he can judge the timing well, he'll leap just fractionally before your CC lands. You get the most benefit out of it that way. I've tanked using this approach and I personally use the quite distinctive casting sound and judge it from that. Just a quick explanation and it usually goes OK. But as somebody else said too... if you have voice chat and an established group, then it's much easier to time well.

X