Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is lvl10-49 fun but 50 isn't?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why is lvl10-49 fun but 50 isn't?

Siorac
07.20.2012 , 08:06 AM | #11
Less coordinated stunlocking. That and that alone is what makes lowbie PvP more fun.

Kalixra
07.20.2012 , 08:06 AM | #12
I think you will find the main reason for the surge in exploits hacks and similar problems plaguing 50 pvp and Warzones has a lot to do with it being Summer time and school out. Sorry, but maturity and all the little kiddies running around that have to be the "Best" I think tend to seek ways to actually be the "best" even though that they do not realize the impact it puts on the community and negative effects those exploits etc.. leave behind.

*shrugs*
Lord Helle Dahlia
Seek Wisdom, Adapt, Overcome, and Conquer.. Fail these and perish.
The Silent Council, Ebon Hawk server

TapSumBatt
07.20.2012 , 08:07 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
When I call out an inc Its not me that's defending I always keep my eyes on the other points as it bothers me when no one calls it out. I am not an idiot so I don't solo guard nodes as a healer I only do that on my main which is a tank.
People aren't that perceptive. Most guys wont even notice a whisper on imperial fleet, let alone some capslock screams in the /ops channel during combat (mainly cus they are so used to whine maybe?).

Un-perceptive players are part of the game, find the one's who arent and you can basically win the game 2 people if that is the given level of competition you are up against.
You have been Pyroteched!

DarthMaulUK
07.20.2012 , 08:11 AM | #14
I think it could be down to the grind. In 10-49 pvp, yes you have a grind for coms but the focus is more on xp and makes it worthwhile diving in.

lvl 50 is all about the gear grind. With this out of date format, is it any wonder players quit warzones because losing can yield small amounts of coms, winning only a max of 140 and if you join a wz a few minutes in - its a waste of time.

So the fun element has been removed.

All people want to do is kill the enemy and if Bioware looked at their beloved metrics they would see this. Remove the need to capture points and put the focus on kills and kill streams to win matches, remove the gear grind and bingo, you will have a winning pvp combination

TapSumBatt
07.20.2012 , 08:13 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthMaulUK View Post
I think it could be down to the grind. In 10-49 pvp, yes you have a grind for coms but the focus is more on xp and makes it worthwhile diving in.

lvl 50 is all about the gear grind. With this out of date format, is it any wonder players quit warzones because losing can yield small amounts of coms, winning only a max of 140 and if you join a wz a few minutes in - its a waste of time.

So the fun element has been removed.

All people want to do is kill the enemy and if Bioware looked at their beloved metrics they would see this. Remove the need to capture points and put the focus on kills and kill streams to win matches, remove the gear grind and bingo, you will have a winning pvp combination
You forgot the carrot - which usually is gear - which lead to what you just said.

How to solve that?
You have been Pyroteched!

Skolops
07.20.2012 , 08:17 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Siorac View Post
Less coordinated stunlocking. That and that alone is what makes lowbie PvP more fun.
I would have to strongly disagree.

First of all, there is no "coordinated" stun locking outside of rateds, apart from when you're trying to cap a node and you stun the guy coming to stop you - and that is solid strategic play that adds to the fun of things by making the matches remotely organized. In lowbie PvP, its just a bunch of people who have no idea what they're doing randomly killing stuff, and it's frankly stupid half the time.

Second, the other side of things is that as a result of this, what you see in lowbie PvP faaaaaar more than in the 50s is one or two guys getting a crush on you and spending the entire game focusing on you making it impossible for you to do anything, much less have fun. In the 50s brackets, people focus on objectives a lot more and (generally) try to make smart decisions about how they're spending their time. This means that you'll be the target sometimes - and in fact, if you're very good, you might be the target a lot, as it should be, but then you're very good so you can handle it.

In the lowbies, though, some level 45 marauder or two friends queing together while they are leveling might decide they want to get you on your level 26 sage, whether you're a target that makes sense or you're very good or not, and so you wind up spending the entire warzone frustrated as heck not being able to actually play. This is a particular problem for those people who are just looking for "fun" rather than more hardcore competition and aren't necessarily skilled enough to handle this kind of attention.
El'Skan-Assassin /// Laetrie-Sniper /// Caelie-Slinger /// Fidaeria-Jugg
Armack -Chaetrie -Gaurex -Isdron -Skol'ompara /// Misericordiae -Elnar -Rujko -Sophiya
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

aarka
07.20.2012 , 08:22 AM | #17
People say this in every gear progression mmo. I wonder why.

"Low level PvP is super fun! I can stomp casuals, re-rolls and level 11s! But now that I have to play people with gear it's horrible! I don't want to take the time to acquire the gear myself so I'll just complain on the forums!"

DarthMaulUK
07.20.2012 , 08:22 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TapSumBatt View Post
You forgot the carrot - which usually is gear - which lead to what you just said.

How to solve that?
You dont need a carrot. PvP in Star Wars Galaxies for example was a lot of fun until Pre-CU/NGE. No gear grind, no coms, nothing. It was pure fun raiding bases and having HUGE(over 100 players) battles outside major cities.

GW2 - again, no gear to grind. Developers need to be brave and shift more towards skill than gear to win pvp matches.

Siorac
07.20.2012 , 08:28 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Skolops View Post
I would have to strongly disagree.

First of all, there is no "coordinated" stun locking outside of rateds, apart from when you're trying to cap a node and you stun the guy coming to stop you - and that is solid strategic play that adds to the fun of things by making the matches remotely organized. In lowbie PvP, its just a bunch of people who have no idea what they're doing randomly killing stuff, and it's frankly stupid half the time.

Second, the other side of things is that as a result of this, what you see in lowbie PvP faaaaaar more than in the 50s is one or two guys getting a crush on you and spending the entire game focusing on you making it impossible for you to do anything, much less have fun. In the 50s brackets, people focus on objectives a lot more and (generally) try to make smart decisions about how they're spending their time. This means that you'll be the target sometimes - and in fact, if you're very good, you might be the target a lot, as it should be, but then you're very good so you can handle it.

In the lowbies, though, some level 45 marauder or two friends queing together while they are leveling might decide they want to get you on your level 26 sage, whether you're a target that makes sense or you're very good or not, and so you wind up spending the entire warzone frustrated as heck not being able to actually play. This is a particular problem for those people who are just looking for "fun" rather than more hardcore competition and aren't necessarily skilled enough to handle this kind of attention.
Maybe not coordinated but there's "faaaaaaaaar" more CC flying around in level 50 Warzones as everyone has all their abilities and more or less everyone knows how Resolve works so they don't waste stuns.

This "targeting" thing very rarely happens in my experience. Premades focusing targets and coordinating CC - which happens a lot in the level 50 bracket - is far more frustrating than some lolrauder with his friend trying to hunt a specific target. EDIT: and to clarify, there's nothing wrong with premades working together and focusing targets, but with the amount of CC there is in this game and the way Resolve works, you spend more time stunlocked than not against a good premade. Even a four-man premade. And not being able to do anything at all is frustrating.

Also, there are lots of people in lowbie PvP who know what they are doing as at this point, most lowbies are alts anyway. The randomness of levels introduces a level of unpredictability which I personally enjoy.

If you're a competitive person, level 50 Warzones are better for you. If not, if you're just looking for some good clean fun, the lowbie brackets are the place to be.

SirMoody
07.20.2012 , 08:34 AM | #20
I Like them both...

I like the lowbie PVP because I tend to find a lot more 1 v 1 / fair fights... I don't usually find this in the 50 bracket since people there have learned to stick together and gank people rather than 1v1.

But I like the 50 bracket because they are a lot more competitive and fun to me. A couple of my all time favorite matches were against a really good pre-made in Huttball... we ended up losing those matches but I remember them being Epic and memorable fun times.
SWTOR player's Logic: Anyone who doesn't have the best possible gear is a noob!