Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you follow Ops leader orders?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Do you follow Ops leader orders?

Satedbuffalo
07.20.2012 , 10:01 AM | #21
PUGs (especially lowbies):
In Alderaan, I'll usually pay attention if someone calls a play as I'm mostly tanking or healing. That means either screening/guarding or running with the zergmass. In Novare, I find that the plays called aren't relevant after the first minute or so. In voidstar, I'll go with the zerg at the start and adapt.

If I'm playing a DPS stealther, however, I'll usually ignore orders or amend them and delay an opposition's cap/ninja a door/etc.

In huttball, things change so quickly that anyone calling plays is just silly.

4-made premades where someone -else- is ops lead:
One of us is usually calling focus targets, we're all communicating, and we're not going to listen to someone who doesn't have as much battlefield information as us. Among the four of us, there are usually two dominant personalities that work together and two others.

rWZs:
Someone's always calling focus, taunt rotation, etc. etc. I listen, I obey, sometimes we pull out a win. Sometimes. l

If someone calls an idiotic play (this happens more and more frequently in Alderaan) or a pay that's not going wot work without a lot of communication not available in a PUG (also happens a lot in Alderaan), I'll usually suggest a simpler plan. If that gets dismissed, I'll volunteer for guard duty rather than going with stupid.

I've never rage quit a WZ and bad leadership is so low on the things that tick me off that I can't imagine it ever causing me to consider it.
Just some jerk who isn't good enough for rated.

Darth_Acherus
07.20.2012 , 10:32 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
It was most certainly not an insult, it was an assumption. Just like you assume and judge other peoples intelligence and experience in the 60 seconds before a warzone begins.

If someone wants to 'lead' an operation, I'll follow them. If nobody speaks up, I'll assume most people have done the WZ enough to know the objectives and know the basics (fight on node, call incoming). If I see something wrong, like a call for help somewhere, and I see everyone leave, I'll speak up or stay myself. I don't pretend to judge anyone's intelligence off a wz, and even the most skilled player will make mistakes.
You have a very optimistic view of players on your team. Experience has taught me to assume the worst possible scenario.

Oh and seeing the same people say the same crap over and over kinda leads me to think the way I do.

I do not judge people until they say or do something stupid.
Jung Ma - Nariell 50 Sentinel <Alpha Company>
Jung Ma - Alosa 50 Commando <Alpha Company> (Retired)

macnernie
07.20.2012 , 10:39 AM | #23
I just wish I could opt out of Ops Leader. It's no fun being the captain of a clownshoes operation. Better to let someone else try to lead the random PUG.
Lucille Bluth - Hybrid Assassin (You boys know how to shovel coal?)
Franklinn Bluth - Powertech (It ain't easy bein Brown)
Georgeoscar Bluth - Sniper (I hear the jury's still out on science)

TUXs
07.20.2012 , 10:57 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Acherus View Post
You have a very optimistic view of players on your team. Experience has taught me to assume the worst possible scenario.

Oh and seeing the same people say the same crap over and over kinda leads me to think the way I do.

I do not judge people until they say or do something stupid.
Possibly. I just view it as a game and I'm here to have fun. I win some, I lose some. I try not to judge people I don't know, but like you, once they've opened their mouth, then we can make more accurate assumptions
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

JasonNH
07.20.2012 , 11:01 AM | #25
So long as the ops leader isn't suggesting something wildly stupid, I'll go with the plan. Far better to have a team that is executing the same plan than everyone doing what is right in his or her own eyes.

ranscow
07.20.2012 , 11:01 AM | #26
Follow orders? no

Go along with a reasonable plan that someone takes time to type? sure

The ops leader title is meaningless and should probably be eliminated from regular WZs.

Astarica
07.20.2012 , 11:15 AM | #27
If it's a plan that somewhat makes sense I'll go along with it even if it's not the greatest plan I've heard. If the pla is 'zerg left, middle, and right hard" I tend to do my own thing.

Darth_Acherus
07.20.2012 , 11:18 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Possibly. I just view it as a game and I'm here to have fun. I win some, I lose some. I try not to judge people I don't know, but like you, once they've opened their mouth, then we can make more accurate assumptions
See we can get along.

Also I generally am not having fun unless I am winning.
Jung Ma - Nariell 50 Sentinel <Alpha Company>
Jung Ma - Alosa 50 Commando <Alpha Company> (Retired)

SlimsPicken
07.20.2012 , 11:19 AM | #29
The OPs lead is just the guy/girl with the highest valor cap at the moment, their ability to actually lead has nothing to do with it.

I usually put out suggestions when the match start timer runs down to about 30 secs and no one has spoken up yet, but I follow the KISS plan (keep it simple stupid) when its a majority PUG with no guild tags in common.

I find people appreciate someone speaking up and calling out Incs and whatnot, so i end up getting plenty of mvp votes, probably from players who see my name in the chat a few times trying to help direct the team during the game.

The thing to remember when doing this is you are NOT the "leader" you are just the one who is trying to help steer the team to victory- people dont need an in game boss, they sometimes just dont want to speak up and lead themselves, so a little direction without being bossy about usually does the trick.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.

SweetOldBob
07.20.2012 , 11:23 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Malish View Post
Will you follow [op leader's] plan if you don't agree with it?
Yeah. 8 people going their own ways is even worse than a sub-optimal plan. And I'm happier if I'm NOT the ops leader.

Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Malish View Post
But ops says "no, we ALL should focus attack right".
Not on exactly on topic, but for what it's worth, this could be the difference between a zerg working and failing.
Sometimes you have to roll a hard six.

Obed, lvl 50 VR 83 Commando,
Dothan, lvl 50 VR 74 Sentinel