Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does vendor sold armor lose stat bonuses at a certain point?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help

CommanderFAT
07.19.2012 , 09:09 PM | #1
I'm a brand new player and so far I've been able to always buy armor upgrades that have aim, endurance, etc bonuses.

Once I hit Kaas City I discovered that the normal armor pieces that vendors sell have no stat bonuses. They just have an armor rating.

I'm at level 14 on my bounty hunter. Am I at a point where I will need to start crafting augmentation slots and start acquiring modification items? Does crafting take on this big of a priority in the normal course of the game?

Thanks

The_Hegemon
07.19.2012 , 09:56 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderFAT View Post
Am I at a point where I will need to start crafting augmentation slots and start acquiring modification items? Does crafting take on this big of a priority in the normal course of the game?

Thanks
Simply put, no.

While you will be able to craft decent or superior gear in the course of your leveling,
the best end-game gear is gotten through drops or bought with commendations.
You can complete the main quest (and get to lvl50) in what are called "quest greens", the rewards you get from the previous quest.
The only end-game application for crafting is to add augment slots to these end-game armors or for vanity purposes.

That being said, biochem and cybertech are the two exceptions that have end-game applications currently: re-usable stims & adrenals (bio) and grenades (cyber).

The best way I've found to level is to acquire Planet Commendations through doing the side missions and buy the mods from the Modification Commendation Vendor at the end of each planet. Doing so is a cost-free way to stay decently geared while leveling, and doesn't occupy that precious crafting slot.
Ba'jur bal beskar'gam,
ara'nov, aliit,
Mando'a bal Mand'aloró
an vencuyan mhi!

Eternalnight
07.19.2012 , 10:05 PM | #3
No, they don't.

Quote:
Once I hit Kaas City I discovered that the normal armor pieces that vendors sell have no stat bonuses. They just have an armor rating.
Not really.
Why do you call them "normal" armor pieces?

There are some vendors like social items vendor and some others that sell so called appearance gear that is meant to make you look pretty. These do come with empty modification slots so of course they have no stats (as modifiable custom gear gets all of its stats from the modifications in it) and are useless for actual game play until you fill all 3 slots (armoring, mod and enhancement).

All the actual "normal" gear vendors still sell mostly gear which is not with empty mod slots and this will never change.

Quote:
I'm at level 14 on my bounty hunter. Am I at a point where I will need to start crafting augmentation slots
No.
You don't need to add augments until you are gearing up at level 50 for the hardest endgame content.
Of course it is still possible to add augments even at lower levels, if you want to have even more extra stats than normal, and if you can afford it, but it is not in any way necessary at low levels.

Note that for augments, you don't need to craft anything. Can just buy them from other players that craft them.

Quote:
and start acquiring modification items?
Well, you don't absolutely need to, but it is a good idea to get at least some modification items as soon as possible, and can be of much help to keep yourself properly geared through leveling up as long as you swithc the mods inside those items to level appropriate mods from time to time when leveling up.

Quote:
Does crafting take on this big of a priority in the normal course of the game?
You can be quite successful even without doing any crafting.
It can help you if you do some, and can have certain advantages to some things.

CommanderFAT
07.19.2012 , 10:44 PM | #4
"Why do you call them "normal" armor pieces?"

I don't know. I just figured the vendors didn't sell any of the really good stuff.

Just for full disclosure I've just dropped diablo 3 and tSWTOR is the first MMO I've gotten into in over a decade so I'm not familiar with all the terms that most veterans would be.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I might make some tweaks t my crew skills because of the input.

The_Hegemon
07.20.2012 , 09:54 AM | #5
"Why do you call them "normal" armor pieces?"

I don't know. I just figured the vendors didn't sell any of the really good stuff.
You're half right. No vendors that take credits sell the good stuff.

However, the best end-game is bought with commendations from vendors on the fleet; and decent leveling gear can be bought with planet commendations.

Oh and just FYI, if you can't find the commendation vendors on a planet, they are all also on fleet (in the quarter labeled 'supplies').

Hope that helps
Ba'jur bal beskar'gam,
ara'nov, aliit,
Mando'a bal Mand'aloró
an vencuyan mhi!

psandak
07.20.2012 , 01:44 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Hegemon View Post
Simply put, no.

While you will be able to craft decent or superior gear in the course of your leveling,
the best end-game gear is gotten through drops or bought with commendations.
You can complete the main quest (and get to lvl50) in what are called "quest greens", the rewards you get from the previous quest.
The only end-game application for crafting is to add augment slots to these end-game armors or for vanity purposes.

That being said, biochem and cybertech are the two exceptions that have end-game applications currently: re-usable stims & adrenals (bio) and grenades (cyber).

The best way I've found to level is to acquire Planet Commendations through doing the side missions and buy the mods from the Modification Commendation Vendor at the end of each planet. Doing so is a cost-free way to stay decently geared while leveling, and doesn't occupy that precious crafting slot.
while true in the strictest sense - yes you can get by with "quest greens" and get all the way to 50 without a single piece of crafted gear - I respectfully disagree. While "quest greens" are sufficient, crafted gear is better, which makes the leveling process easier - you do more damage and take less. That being said, you do have to plan ahead a little: if you can craft gear that is a couple of levels higher than your character is at any given time, you can "practice" your craft and Reverse Engineer your way to even better options.

Further, most crafted gear is FAR better than any upgrade you get from a quest for your companions so if you have a crafting skill that can feed you and at least one of your companions so much the better.

JacksonMo
07.21.2012 , 12:55 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
while true in the strictest sense - yes you can get by with "quest greens" and get all the way to 50 without a single piece of crafted gear - I respectfully disagree. While "quest greens" are sufficient, crafted gear is better, which makes the leveling process easier - you do more damage and take less. That being said, you do have to plan ahead a little: if you can craft gear that is a couple of levels higher than your character is at any given time, you can "practice" your craft and Reverse Engineer your way to even better options.

Further, most crafted gear is FAR better than any upgrade you get from a quest for your companions so if you have a crafting skill that can feed you and at least one of your companions so much the better.
I respectfully dissagree. On your first toon, like the OP is, there is no way you can craft items at a sufficient rate to gear yourself leveling up. He would be flat broke all the time and never have cash for training.
Almost always pick the commendations from quests unless you are offered an orange custom item currently filled by a green/blue. Custom items can be upgraded as you level.
I never recommend taking a crafting skill pre-50 on ones first toon. Gathering skills are a good way to supplement your income while you level. Mission skills are a money-pit until you get to the 340-400 range and start seeing end-game crafting material and grade 5 companion gifts.
I recommend slicing along with any 2 other gather skills, although bio-analysis and scavenging give you more chances to pick up materials you can sell on GTN. Those are the only two gather skills that let you double loot strong or better mobs. (Droids=scavenging, Beasts=Bio)
I suggest this because every crafting skill can be power-leveled using nothing but green gather-skill materials all the way to 400. No blue/purple mission crafting items are needed to hit level cap. So, once a level 50 starts doing daily quests, they have cash to BUY ITEMS from the GTN to power level the crafting skill of their choice.

Using this method, I always had sufficient cash to cover training on my first toon.

JacksonMo
07.21.2012 , 01:07 AM | #8
I'm a brand new player and so far I've been able to always buy armor upgrades that have aim, endurance, etc bonuses.

I'm at level 14 on my bounty hunter. Am I at a point where I will need to start crafting augmentation slots and start acquiring modification items? Does crafting take on this big of a priority in the normal course of the game?

Thanks
Sorry, previous post veered a tad off topic. Don't waist time with rubbish armor like that. On a Bounty hunter, your main stat is Aim. It should be on everything you wear. The only exception being that, at your level, you may not have anything in that slot yet, so the endurance boost is better than nothing. You don't really see ear pieces and implants until your early 20's.

I think the only time armor with no stats is even remotely useful is on the starting planet when it's the first armor you pick up from random trash mobs. Something is better than nothing.