Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Snow Crash?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Seedyman
07.18.2012 , 06:59 PM | #1
Anyone else getting a snow crash periodically?
Twice now I've been playing SWtOR and gotten a snow crash with odd noise from the speakers. (tones of slowly increasing frequency)

Ogada
07.18.2012 , 09:28 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Seedyman,

Could you just clarify for me what exactly happens on your screen with one of these crashes please? When it crashes, do you get returned to the game as normal after a while, or does it crash to the desktop/blue screen?

Thank you.
Ogada | BioWare Customer Service – Forum Support

Seedyman
07.19.2012 , 05:48 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ogada View Post
Hi Seedyman,

Could you just clarify for me what exactly happens on your screen with one of these crashes please? When it crashes, do you get returned to the game as normal after a while, or does it crash to the desktop/blue screen?

Thank you.
I have a two screen system, one screen has SWtOR on it the other has browser, or whatever.
Both screen abruptly go to color snow and the sound card starts winding up.
on both occasions I powered off the system immediately
I am running the most current video drivers from Nvidia (nonbeta)
one of the other programs I run is a monitor, so I know the fan is working on the GPU and it is not overtemp, nor is the rest of the system.

Cerimon
07.19.2012 , 07:38 AM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Seedyman,

I think the first procedure is to update your audio and video drivers and to install all available Windows Updates including the optional updates for .Net Framework and C++ Redistributables. Then uninstall Java and install the latest version. Please also see this post for information on installing DirectX components: http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/1989

Please complete these steps and report back with any remaining symptoms should the issue persist.

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Seedyman
07.19.2012 , 09:04 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
Greetings Seedyman,

I think the first procedure is to update your audio and video drivers and to install all available Windows Updates including the optional updates for .Net Framework and C++ Redistributables. Then uninstall Java and install the latest version. Please also see this post for information on installing DirectX components: http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/1989

Please complete these steps and report back with any remaining symptoms should the issue persist.
I keep all of those updated, the only exception is for the creative drivers, as their website seems to always be offline.

Cerimon
07.19.2012 , 09:18 AM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings Seedyman,

Please ensure that you have also checked the following:
  • You should try using the 'Repair' utility on the launcher. To do this please click on the button located in the bottom left hand corner of the launcher window. This will open a settings menu where you will be able to find and click on the 'Repair' button.
  • If you are experiencing this issue after having installed the game from a physical copy, please try running the Fixlauncher.exe located in your installation directory. This is located by default at:
    • 32bit: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
    • 64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
  • Please run the System file Checker from Microsoft as this can find problems with your system files and repair them: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
If this does not help, try downloading the installer from www.swtor.com/download and running this over your existing installation.

Please also ensure that your computer meets the minimum specifications required to run the game.

If you are still encountering this issue after checking all of the above, please contact Customer Service.

Please include a DxDiag of your system, your most recent client logs and a description of the exact error encountered.

Obtaining a DxDiag file:
  1. Press Windows Key + R
  2. Enter in the following window “DxDiag” and press ENTER or “OK”. Depending on the OS, you may have to confirm a popup window, to include WHQL signatures. It is safe to press YES/OK here.
  3. Now you have the “DirectX Diagnostic Tool” open
  4. Click on “Save All Information…” and save the file at any location convenient (default: Desktop)
    The saved file is now available under the location previously chosen.
The client log files are located by default in the installation folder at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support