Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why do you like Star Wars: The Clone Wars?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why do you like Star Wars: The Clone Wars?

Aitix's Avatar


Aitix
07.18.2012 , 04:32 PM | #1
The CGI Clone Wars series has many fans. The question is, why do you like it? At the top of my head, the following reasons as to why I like it are:

-It retconned Karen Traviss's works out of existence.

-The clones have personalities and really engaging characters.

-Great action scenes.

-Good voice-acting.

-The writers are a lot more bold than most EU writers.

-Maul's back.

-Ventress's story arc is a lot more interesting.

-It does some pretty dark things for a kid's show.

HavocMaster's Avatar


HavocMaster
07.18.2012 , 04:35 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Aitix View Post
-It retconned Karen Traviss's works out of existence.

-The clones have personalities and really engaging characters.
These are the reasons that I loathe the show with all my heart. Traviss gave the clones much better personalities than the show ever did. And yes, I am a Fandalorian.
Cipher Nine out.

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
07.18.2012 , 04:35 PM | #3
Wait....I do?

Lets see a few things (in no order):
  • Boba Fett turned into a pathetic, wimpy child
  • Jango's helm was destroyed....
  • Slave I was destroyed
  • Constant "flashback" episodes
  • Reuse of dead characters
  • Ventress's origins and the entire Nightsisters were rewritten in a very negative way
  • Darth Maul is back...
  • Savage Oppress...need I say more?
  • It has taken this long to focus on the 'War' aspect of The Clone WARS..
  • Arc Troopers were reduced to a simple rank..
  • Random bounty hunters are training Clones instead of Mandalorians..
  • Planet Mandalore was no forests...
  • The history of Star Wars being rewritten...
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

dark-jehts's Avatar


dark-jehts
07.18.2012 , 04:49 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aitix View Post
The CGI Clone Wars series has many fans. The question is, why do you like it? At the top of my head, the following reasons as to why I like it are:

-It retconned Karen Traviss's works out of existence.

-The clones have personalities and really engaging characters.

-Great action scenes.

-Good voice-acting.

-The writers are a lot more bold than most EU writers.

-Maul's back.

-Ventress's story arc is a lot more interesting.

-It does some pretty dark things for a kid's show.
-1) not a good argument , because you hate traviss you are happy when something wrong is done to her or her work (blind hatred ? )

-2) The point is that they should not have really engaging character , i mean , normal clones are not supposed to be different from each other IMO (not same story with commando nor arc of course...)

-3) I didn't see the whole last season yet but it indeed look nice , before that the fight scenes were not that awesome (Expect the battle of geonosis which is pretty nice)

-4) Yeah why not

-5) Can't really judge that since i didn't read many differents books , i'll let other people judge...

-6) Bad , very bad IMO , the guy got wtfpwnt by obiwan cut in half and fell almost bottomless shaft and there he is with new legs ?

-7) didn't see much of her story , other people could judge better than me too

-8) What do you mean by dark things ? I didn't see much of violence or anything like that ?

And yeah Eillack , it's really a shame to see nightsisters and dathomir treated like that
LS Bounty hunter and always willing to help a brother !

K'oyacyi vod ! Pirunir sur'haaise !
The Mando'ad legacy , TOFN

Aitix's Avatar


Aitix
07.18.2012 , 05:12 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by dark-jehts View Post
-1) not a good argument , because you hate traviss you are happy when something wrong is done to her or her work (blind hatred ? )

-2) The point is that they should not have really engaging character , i mean , normal clones are not supposed to be different from each other IMO (not same story with commando nor arc of course...)

-3) I didn't see the whole last season yet but it indeed look nice , before that the fight scenes were not that awesome (Expect the battle of geonosis which is pretty nice)

-4) Yeah why not

-5) Can't really judge that since i didn't read many differents books , i'll let other people judge...

-6) Bad , very bad IMO , the guy got wtfpwnt by obiwan cut in half and fell almost bottomless shaft and there he is with new legs ?

-7) didn't see much of her story , other people could judge better than me too

-8) What do you mean by dark things ? I didn't see much of violence or anything like that ?

And yeah Eillack , it's really a shame to see nightsisters and dathomir treated like that
1. It is a good argument because not only did the retcon make Karen Traviss stop writing Star Wars books, it also got rid of the Gary Stu-ness that had pervaded the Mandalorians for some time. The warrior-like Mandalorians are still there(the Death Watch). Hell, in the recent SDCC clip, you see Mandos fighting at each other. We all know that the Mandalorian warriors we're so familiar will be be there way after the Clone Wars even.

2. If they didn't have characters, they'd be boring just like they were in the micro-series. In the micro-series, they were just ******. In the CGI Clone Wars series, they're both ****** and emotionally engaging. Some people even watch this show specifically for the Clones.

3. Glad you agree, though I think the action in Season 1 was pretty good.

4. Glad you agree.

5. Very well.

6. Darth Maul isn't the first Sith to survive a fatal injury like that. Hell, look at Maw and Simus. And let's not forget Darth Sion.

"The dark side is a path to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural."

7.Contrary to popular belief, Ventress's backstory is still largely intact. Though she probably won't be on the Seperatist side at the end of the war. I like her arc because it defines her character more. She's also a lot more dynamic than most characters. That, and she's Sith bounty hunter or at least a bounty hunter trained in the dark side. I find that interesting.

8. I'm surprised. The Clone Wars has a lot of violence. But it's not just that. There are some things that are too dark for a kid's show(which it's not, but a lot of the show's audience are young). Such as Riff Tamson's death. He actually blew up into a dozen pieces and you can see the blood and gore afterwards. There's also suicide on this show or at least mentions to it. Decapitations as well. Most shows like the CGI Clone Wars series don't have stuff like that or at least not as much as this show. Those are just at the top of my head. I think there was a suicide bomber at one point in the series.

Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
Wait....I do?

Lets see a few things (in no order):
  • Boba Fett turned into a pathetic, wimpy child
  • Jango's helm was destroyed....
  • Slave I was destroyed
  • Constant "flashback" episodes
  • Reuse of dead characters
  • Ventress's origins and the entire Nightsisters were rewritten in a very negative way
  • Darth Maul is back...
  • Savage Oppress...need I say more?
  • It has taken this long to focus on the 'War' aspect of The Clone WARS..
  • Arc Troopers were reduced to a simple rank..
  • Random bounty hunters are training Clones instead of Mandalorians..
  • Planet Mandalore was no forests...
  • The history of Star Wars being rewritten...
Most of these criticisms are your opinion but there are some I take issue with.

Savage Opress? What's wrong with him? People like Savage because he's pretty much the Hulk of Star Wars. Also, the entire planet of Mandalore isn't a wasteland, though there's a lot of it that is. Another thing, TCW has always focused on the war from the very start, even in episodes where there isn't a battle going on. Sometimes they don't. As for the flashback episodes, I'd say they were only bad in Season 3 when there were too much of them. There are actually a couple good flashback episodes that fans are fond of. Boba Fett was far from pathetic even when he was whiny sometimes. He took down an entire Republic cruiser in Season 2 and made fine handiwork of those bandits back in Season 4. Sure he was timid at first but then again, he's young and without his father.

dark-jehts's Avatar


dark-jehts
07.18.2012 , 06:16 PM | #6
8. I'm surprised. The Clone Wars has a lot of violence. But it's not just that. There are some things that are too dark for a kid's show(which it's not, but a lot of the show's audience are young). Such as Riff Tamson's death. He actually blew up into a dozen pieces and you can see the blood and gore afterwards. There's also suicide on this show or at least mentions to it. Decapitations as well. Most shows like the CGI Clone Wars series don't have stuff like that or at least not as much as this show. Those are just at the top of my head. I think there was a suicide bomber at one point in the series.

Oh ? is this stuff in season 4 ? (or whatever number we are at now ) the guy who blow up don't ring a bell on my mind . Suicide is indeed present ( like on mandalore when a terrorist death watch jump off a building to escape obi-wan. )
Not sure about decapitation , season 4 perhaps ? (this one look like a turn on the whole series)

And about clone , i understand your point of view , i'm just saying that in my opinion they should not be interesting indeed , not because I dont like 'em , but in the movies they are just represented as breed for war killing machines , but with some humanity in order to have strategy and such...

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
07.18.2012 , 07:34 PM | #7
Quote:
Most of these criticisms are your opinion but there are some I take issue with.

Savage Opress? What's wrong with him? People like Savage because he's pretty much the Hulk of Star Wars. Also, the entire planet of Mandalore isn't a wasteland, though there's a lot of it that is. Another thing, TCW has always focused on the war from the very start, even in episodes where there isn't a battle going on. Sometimes they don't. As for the flashback episodes, I'd say they were only bad in Season 3 when there were too much of them. There are actually a couple good flashback episodes that fans are fond of. Boba Fett was far from pathetic even when he was whiny sometimes. He took down an entire Republic cruiser in Season 2 and made fine handiwork of those bandits back in Season 4. Sure he was timid at first but then again, he's young and without his father.
Hey, you're whole OP is opinion too, why can't I voice mine?

Savage Opress....no not like the Hulk; the Hulk had a true story behind him, the Hulk wasn't always a mindless animal that never evolved into something a little more. And "people" like him, an X amount probably, but I've seen on various sites including this one with comments like "*** is up with this guy..?" He is a Gary-Sue and only there to introduce the random Maul coming back from life via new EU rip-off.

Yes, S3 was the main hub for flashbacks, my post was focusing on the show in a whole. Just because X season was a main hub for something doesn't mean it shouldn't be taken into account for a show's life.

Sabataging a cruiser and having 99% of the crew escaping isn't much. Bobba never did true kill shots at that point and just used his gun as a stick. The revenge on Windu story was butchered so much...I'm assuming you agree with me about Jango's helm and the Slave I, but overall Bobba was supposed to be older and in his OT armor when he attacked Windu. After a long battle in ended in a draw and Bobba escapes...not what we saw as he pretty much whined as he was sent to jail and magically got out with no explanation. Yes, he is starting to feel like eh should have at start with S4...but there are still screw ups. He is not the warrior form Ep II who was laughing as he tried ot kill Obi-wan; he was ok with allowing that one girl in S4 to still be forced to marry? Bobba Fett steps down when children were involved..but this new Fett was cold hearted at the wrong time now...here's to hoping the Slave I gets magically re-built with Jango's helm.

The Mandalore we see is still not the Mandalore we have known, no reason to just randomly deforest parts of the planet. It is also bad to see Death Watch representign the warrior aspect of the Mandalorians...Death Watch is supposed to stay a broken-off sect as they were when Jango even fought them. I guess we'll find out what happens in Fall.

But to the War aspect. How much of the entire show so far is pure battle? And with a Padme arc in S5...God I don't even want to imagine. But there have only been some truely war-like episodes with Umbara, etc. Hopefully we get more gritty in S5 with the War. S4 started a boost at least.

2 cents
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Kltpxyzm's Avatar


Kltpxyzm
07.24.2012 , 12:10 PM | #8
I like the animated series because it did to the clone army what the game Republic Commando did to the droid army. It made them threatening and it reminded us that, despite all the cute and fuzzy Lucas put into it, the Clone Wars, were in fact, war. After I watched Episode III the droids were a joke to me, but when I saw a SPD casually bash a lesser droid out of it's line of sight so it could get a better shot at me I had to sit down and reevaluate how much I actually feared these machines. The droid army, in it's entirety, is one fearsome entity; a beast with many heads. The generals and leaders gave it the character it needed.

It was the opposite for the clones. The animated series, for me, added a level of depth to each clone as well as what it meant to be a clone. Not at first, mind you, but when the issue of clone betrayals and infidelity started coming up it started to get more interesting for me. I also like how they each are identifiable; that takes a lot of thought on the part of the creators, as well as a desire to actually deliver something original rather than just say "Oh, they're all clones so they must look alike anyway."


Also, I've only finished reading two of Karen Traviss' books (the clone centric ones).... don't spoil anything please, but am I going to regret it if I keep on reading them?

Jmann_'s Avatar


Jmann_
07.25.2012 , 08:33 AM | #9
I don't, Its the worst thing to ever happen to Star Wars IMO. I love you George Lucas, but you tied me to the bed, and paid Dave Filoni to come and **** my mid-twenties. This show has made me angry, like a cartoon shouldn't have the power to.

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
07.25.2012 , 09:37 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post

The Mandalore we see is still not the Mandalore we have known, no reason to just randomly deforest parts of the planet. It is also bad to see Death Watch representign the warrior aspect of the Mandalorians...Death Watch is supposed to stay a broken-off sect as they were when Jango even fought them. I guess we'll find out what happens in Fall.

2 cents
Dave FIloni has said in an interview that they have huge plans on showing how Mandalore returned to its old Ways... and in the most recent trailer of Season 5, it shows Mando's fighting eachother.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."