Species Unlocks

paul_preib

While I know there's no way to get definitive numbers I was just thinking about how curious I was as to how many Imperial species vs. Republic Species unlocks folks are going with in the game.

By this I mean those who have either actively made a character utilizing the unlock, not just have achieved a given unlock (for example I have unlocked Mirialan but never made an Imperial of that type so I wouldn't count it, but unlocked and made a Ratataki sage so that would count).

This is just my experience of course, but Sith Pureblood and Chiss seem to be the most popular unlocks. I even see quite a few of them as legacy characters on the Empire side. Mirialan and Miraluka seem pretty unpopular on the Empire side, but they also seem less popular than Chiss and Purebloods are in general.

But hoods/helmets + coverage from neck to toes = hard to see the race sometimes! It is a bit easier on the Empire side due to the popularity of crop tops for female characters, and social gear being adaptive kinda helps for female characters too (skimpy slave/dancer sets), but it is easy to miss some racial characteristics unless you're specifically looking.

I played a Twi'lek all the way to 50 and unlocked the species. Now I have a Twi'lek BH and SW. Does that count?

I forget, do they have differing color variations akin to Zabrak? For example because I rolled an imperial coloration Zabrak scoundrel after getting my Republic coloration sentinel to 50. Had I made the scoundrel a republic colored version as well I'd not consider it as utlizing the species unlock.

The main reason is just because I was thinking about (be it real or percieved) the sheer discrepancy between Republic characters with Imperial species' as opposed to Imperial with Republic.

The number of Republic Chiss/Pureblood/Imperial colored Zabrak as opposed to Imperial Mirialan/Miraluki/Republic colored Zabrak appears to bely something of a telling factor in species design choices and people's overall preference (I exclude Ratataki as I have yet to run across another Republic side so far).

That said I'm guilty of this as well, with four different imperial species on Republic classes but not a single republic species among my imperial classes.

I think I'd be most curious about learning what percentage of people utilizing an unlock actually leveled a character to 50 for the unlock, or just bought it with credits.

The only unlock I've used I bought with credits. (wanted Chiss Marauder) I don't particularly see why I would ever want to double up species unless I absolutely had to.

I think I'd be most curious about learning what percentage of people utilizing an unlock actually leveled a character to 50 for the unlock, or just bought it with credits.

The only unlock I've used I bought with credits. (wanted Chiss Marauder) I don't particularly see why I would ever want to double up species unless I absolutely had to.

Yeah, some probably utilized the benefit of "natural" unlocks (i.e. I leveled this species to 50 out of choice because I wanted it, not overtly for unlock purposes then rolled an opposite faction character of that species) But I doubt many at all leveled one with the express purpose of unlocking it for the other faction alone. In the time it took me to make the 4.5 Million credits for the three unlocks I wanted I probably would have only been able to unlock one species via leveling a 50.

Twi'lek do have different customization options according to faction, but it isn't as drastic as it is with Zabrak. Imperial Twi'lek get the pink and red colors and one less blue shade (?), and their black lekku/face tattoos are heavier on the face. Probably some other little differences too, but you get the idea. The annoying thing is, is that when you unlock Twi'lek you don't always get access to all the Empire and Republic options. :confused:

As for me, I have 2 unlocks:

Miraluka - Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor - unlocked by leveling one to 50, which I wanted to do anyway

Twi'lek - (Empire color) Imperial Agent, and probably a (Empire color) Trooper - unlocked with credits

I actually am not a big fan of the Empire-exclusive races, but I think the pink and red colors for Twi'leks look the best. Empire races do seem somewhat more popular in general, though.

I've made a few characters with non-purchased unlocks -- Mirialan Warrior and a Mirialan Inquisitor, plus a Pureblood Trooper. And then I purchased the Chiss and Twi'lek unlocks to roll a Knight and Agent respectively. I run into a lot of Chiss and Purebloods on Republic side (Chiss seems especially popular), but not a lot of Republic-species on the Imperial side.

I've made a few characters with non-purchased unlocks -- Mirialan Warrior and a Mirialan Inquisitor, plus a Pureblood Trooper. And then I purchased the Chiss and Twi'lek unlocks to roll a Knight and Agent respectively. I run into a lot of Chiss and Purebloods on Republic side (Chiss seems especially popular), but not a lot of Republic-species on the Imperial side.

Yeah-- and it also seems that Mirialan is almost exclusively the one you'll see when you catch the rare imperial with a republic species.

I have got a Mirialan Inquisitor and a Rattataki smuggler ^^ Both were paid for in cash.

You have to realise that I do have 16 characters so it is still only 1 out of 8 from my total number of characters though.

Edited by Gokkus

My first 50 was a Chiss BH out of choice as I love the Chiss race. Then, when I found out it would be an unlock via legacy I deleted most of my low level republic characters and remade them Chiss because, well, I love that race. :D

Eventually I would like to play a Miraluka Sith of some kind. Jerec was the first I remember ever seeing, and will always be one of my favorites. In fact I was quite upset that the Miraluka were so class restricted to begin with. All the talk about how species were being massively class restricted really rubbed me the wrong way, part of the beauty of Star Wars was all kinds of weird aliens doing virtually anything they wanted.

But for as big a beef I have with all the initial species restrictions, I have just as large a beef with the unlocks. Yes, as I just said anyone should be able to be anything, but a Sith Pureblood on the Republic? Really? That just flies in the face of the war, they are the epitome of evil in this game and should be now and forever Sith only.

So yeah, the entire system is messed up in my eyes. Should have let any class be any species right from the start, no unlocks, with only two restrictions: Sith always empire only and one suitable opposite species always republic. Would have to be something pretty cool and somewhat unique (not just a human reskin). Maybe Mon Cal or Cathar, both could have easily been tweaked to have massive anit-imperial sentiment at the start of the game.

Ah well, what could have been.

• 1 month later...