Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How did Malak turn Bastila Shan in 1 week?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
How did Malak turn Bastila Shan in 1 week?

cool-dude
07.17.2012 , 04:46 PM | #11
The Jedi were able to erase Revans memory, and place a new identity into his head. He was the most powerful Jedi of his time, and it still took awhile for him to get it back. Malak was incredibly powerful, and he was only second to Revan in terms of how powerful he was.. Their teachers, if you played KOTOR, tell you that Revan and Malak were the strongest of pupils, but Revan was the strongest of the two. So, considering that, Malak could overpower Bastilas mind in a short time because he was stronger.
"Sarcasm is strong in this one"

ratty
07.18.2012 , 03:41 AM | #12
I certainly don't know the details of what may or may not have happened in parts of KOTOR that it didn't show in the game.

Could it have been possible that Malak had been in contact with Bastila and been slowly converting her before that point?

Since we don't really know what methods were used we can only speculate. Comparisons are only useful if the people you're comparing are very similar in terms of personality, experiences, training, etc. I personally think there was a part of her that was already dark as was shown by how she behaved and spoke at times so maybe there wasn't that much effort needed to just push that part of her to the front of her mind releasing the part of her that she tried to deny or keep hidden.

Also, didn't Bastila look up to Revan (IIRC)?

That may have influenced things too.

grandmthethird
07.18.2012 , 08:33 AM | #13
didn't she turn quickly because she wanted to be with revan, and both him and malak were dark

kinda like malak saying "come on, revan's dark now and he likes it, were off out to a goth club tonight, you'll love it"
"Hope has a vicious enemy called fate"

Eillack
07.18.2012 , 08:35 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
The Sith were turning Jedi throughout the war. It's most likely that the Sith would have refined their methods for conversion. Plus a week of torture would turn plenty of Jedi. And as Jolee said, Bastila is headstrong. Throughout KOTOR, Bastila has thoughts of grandeur. She wants to become a master. Malak gave her a quick and easy path to the power she sought. And she took it.
^ This here...

....and bacon.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

ReiKai
07.18.2012 , 05:59 PM | #15
Darth Revan had taught them how to convert Jedi. Those who couldn't convert were killed. Malak learned from Revan. Also there is a part about Revan's Force Bond with Bastila after she healed him which made her touch the darkness that was within his memory.

Also, it wasn't "just the Jedi" who blocked Revan's memory. It took the entire Jedi Council to do it, and with a weakened Revan who was near death when they found him. The fact he even got his memory back shows the sheer strength of will he actually possesses.

Anyway, Bastila's own desires and the fact she keeps trying to contour herself to the Jedi Code when she clearly has an issue with her emotions and is fairly arrogant, makes it no surprise that Malak could turn her via torture. After all, for one, she fell in love with Revan. Secondly, she had emotional moments talkin about her mother and moreso when meeting her on Tattooine.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

Aurbere
07.18.2012 , 06:01 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
^ This here...

....and bacon.
Mmmm... I like bacon
Added Chapter 64 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus