Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Didn't Luke use his emotions/anger to beat his Father?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Didn't Luke use his emotions/anger to beat his Father?

Tuscad
07.18.2012 , 01:00 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by MattFrontino View Post
which is why he only took his arm.
I think that in itself was an accident, I think Vader sort of had an automatic reflex, because Luke had just struck Vader in his shoulder.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Saurrantion
07.19.2012 , 12:52 PM | #42
Much of the flaws that Luke had were shown in EP 5 and they come through again in ep 6. The reason Yoda said he that he wasn't a Jedi till he faced Vader did not mean he had to defeat Vader or the Emperor. Yoda meant that Luke had to face Vader and not fall to the darkside.

If you have never read Return of the Jedi book I highly recommend you do so. The funny thing about the final battle between Luke, Vader and Emperor is that it is more of an internal battle then an external battle. Emperor was loosing his grasp on Vader and he was afraid of Vader. Vader was question himself and whether he could go back to who he once was or was he doomed forever to be the monster he had become. Luke was facing his own inner demons, the very flaws that Yoda showed and told him about in Ep 5.

Each time Emperor use Luke own demons and inner struggles against him Luke realize his mistake and takes a different course of action. When he finally attacked Vader after his goading him about turn his sister to the darkside Luke did give in to his anger and hate. However as he stood over Vader and he was being goaded by emperor to kill Vader and take his place he realize that his battle was not with them. The only way he could over come evil his not to given to it. He had to first admit to himself that he was no better then they were. Then he was able to realize that only by not accepting it by letting all his anger, hate go could he truly defeat evil.

The funny part of it was that Luke really thought that Yoda was telling him only by defeating Vader would he be a Jedi. What Yoda really meant was only by facing Vader win or loose and not going to the Darkside a Jedi would he be.

The fight is an internal fight not an external one. Most fans believe Empire to be the Dark of the original films and I disagree completely. I think it is more tragic then it was dark. If you're father is a killer that sucks it's tragic and yes dark to some degree. However to look in you're self and see the darkness with in you're self, to see all the flaws and bad things that are in you, that you have done or could do and face it and over come it or fall prey to it is probably the darkest thing you can ever do. Think about it as hard as it is for a family to face there loved one who is on drugs it's a thousand times harder for the person on drugs to looking inside themselves and admit they have a problem and then to go through hell to over come it. That my friend is when you really face true darkness.

BrandonSM
07.19.2012 , 05:44 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonAgeOrgins View Post
Expect at the end he really didn't resist the lure of the dark side. Without him trying to strike the Emperor down his Father never would have dueled him. Without him channeling hatred of His Father taking his sister and turning her to the dark side. He never would have unleashed those fury of attacks.

I understand the ending of him jumping around and cheering and trying to save his Father. Yet when it counted he used his emotions. As a full Knight, he channeled that. Maybe at the end he stopped but short term he did what Sith did and used his emotions to help him win.

How does that make him better then a Sith, expect he didn't keep on using his emotions?
They trained him to resist the normal "Lure" of the Dark Side...

Sidious wasn't a normal Lure, just by being in his presence many Jedi had felt his urge to the Dark Side(This is post-Order 66). Galen Marek was almost engulfed into Darkness.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

bcjedi
07.21.2012 , 02:02 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by ThunderVamp View Post
You really don't seem to be listening to what the others are telling you, but I'll take a stab:

Yes, he gave in and used the Force to get his lightsaber and strike down the Emperor. His friends were dying, the Rebel Alliance was being crushed and hope was being extinguished before his very eyes. His desperation caused him to give in. At that moment Vader's blade blocked him and he withdrew. He fought long enough to break away and hide to avoid the fight. He resisted the lure of the dark side.

Then Vader goads him again, suggesting that Luke's sister will join them. At that point yes, he used the dark side of the Force in the final battle with Vader. He yells "Never!" and attacks Vader ferociously. He beats him. He takes Vader's hand. And then he SEES Vader's severed wrist. The wires and the machinery. He looks at his own hand and sees how much like his father he already is. How his anger has just brought him to THIS POINT. How his impatience in the past has already cost him. And the Emperor is laughing and telling him to kill his father and take his place at the Emperor's side.

And at this point, he pulls away from the dark side and does what his father couldn't do before him. He renounces that darkness, throws away his own lightsaber, commits to the light side of the force and accepts his own fate, even if it means he dies.

He is a Jedi. Like his father before him. But better.
I gotta say, that scene in the movie, as well as the way you just described that, always gives me goosebumps. It is really quite interesting the symbolism that is presented in that short time frame. And I think that through your explanation you hit the nail right on the head.