Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Didn't Luke use his emotions/anger to beat his Father?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Didn't Luke use his emotions/anger to beat his Father?

Captain_Zone
07.17.2012 , 10:32 PM | #31
Here's how I see it. After tens of thousands of years of the Jedi Councils throughout Star Wars history preaching suppression of emotions, I have the feeling that Obi-Wan and Yoda finally had an /EpicFacepalm moment when they realized where it all went wrong. So instead of trying to get Luke to suppress them, they just said to trust them. Trust your feelings. Trust your emotions. If you're on the side of the angels, you're going to be ok. Luke made a helluva stupid move at the end.... or did he? Maybe he knew that Vader would intervene on his behalf. Maybe it was an educated gamble that paid off huge. However it went down in his head, we know the ending result. Luke lived. Pally took a dirt nap, and Vader got his redemption before he died..... at least until we saw how REALLY lame he was in the Prequels.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Cavad
07.18.2012 , 12:54 AM | #32
You guys are all putting words in Luke's mouth. He never channeled hatred, he was simply a desperate man protecting his sister. A cat backed into a corner doesn't hate. Do you honestly think Lucas would have made Luke hate Vader at that pivotal point?

Its terribly unlikely, at most he was desperate and scared for his sister.

Tuscad
07.18.2012 , 01:42 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Cavad View Post
You guys are all putting words in Luke's mouth. He never channeled hatred, he was simply a desperate man protecting his sister. A cat backed into a corner doesn't hate. Do you honestly think Lucas would have made Luke hate Vader at that pivotal point?

Its terribly unlikely, at most he was desperate and scared for his sister.
Fear is also an emotion of the darkside...
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

LahLahSr
07.18.2012 , 01:52 AM | #34
Look...you're over analyzing. This whole story is imaginary. Of course these belief systems aren't perfectly defined and they are full of inconsistencies and self-contradictions..and as such, just as imperfect as any "real" belief systems we can observe in our world outside the Star Wars universe.

This dedication to the "the light side" and "good" and all the subordinate objectives such as "protecting the weak" and "uphold justice" is of course emotionally based too. All motivation originate from emotion. So of course Jedi have emotions.

The difference lies in how these emotions influence your action and your decision making. Was Obi-Wan angry about Darth Maul killing Qui-Gon? Sure he was! Was Yoda angry when he fought the Emperor in the Senate? Yes..the movies make no bones about that. However, the stories all tell the same story - only because they were able to keep a level head, they survived and prevailed in the end.

It was never intended for Jedi to be like Borg drones, only that they become masters of their own emotions instead of the other way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielErickson
Sith are evil.

Inzuher
07.18.2012 , 02:41 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Regardless, he realised what he was doing when he disarmed his Father and in an act of loyalty to the Jedi, he threw away his only weapon.

Also, in reality the duel was not really a duel at all, because Vader was holding back and struggling with his emotions the entire time, Luke says as much later on that if Vader wanted to kill him, he'd be dead right now.
My thoughts exactly
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night, and silences the light.".

DDSilver
07.18.2012 , 03:12 AM | #36
You are forgetting an important part : Luke was not a Jedi yet at that point.
Huh? What?

Well, what happened earlier in that movie?

LUKE : "Then I am a Jedi?"

YODA : "Ohhh. Not yet. One thing remains: Vader. You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be. And confront him you will."

GASP!

That means that Luke was still in training, still in a learning phase. It is here he is reminded about the power of the dark side, and it is here that he casts that power away. Like every Jedi has done before him.
His fight in the Dark cave and his fight against Darth Vader, those where his failures as a Jedi, not 'successes' as a Sith.
If that last part where true then Sidious would be a Jedi every time he is not emotional on a subject.

ratty
07.18.2012 , 03:29 AM | #37
The way I see it is that was what set the Skywalkers apart from those before them.

Annakin and Luke were never raised in a Jedi Temple from birth. Because of this they were always going to have some struggles that other Jedi wouldn't normally encounter. For Annakin, he was very much emotional but due to his later in life training and the Jedi constantly telling him it's not the Jedi way rather than helping him left Annakin struggling to cope with his emotions without the support network he needed. Annakin crumbled and gave in to the dark side. Luke, too, was emotional like his father but his experiences and learning of the truth of Vader being his father as well as what happened to Annakin made him realise that although there was strength to be gained from emotions he faced the dark side and didn't crumble like his father because Luke found strength in his father by not wanting to become like Vader. Luke faced the dark side and faced his emotions but through the realisation of the path his father took he didn't want to follow that path and found the strength to confront the dark side without giving in to it. Luke found strength in his emotions and instead of denying them he managed to embrace his emotions without giving in to the dark side.

DaWaffle
07.18.2012 , 06:46 AM | #38
Okay, I'm seeing a lot of people here not getting it. So I'll explain.

Luke very nearly did give into the Dark Side. That was the point of the entire scene. It was Luke's struggle to redeem his Father and not fall himself. He gave into his emotions, realised what he was doing and stopped.

Wolventhorne
07.18.2012 , 11:24 AM | #39
Technically, everything Luke did was in defense. He was defending the fleet and his friends from the Emperor who was wielding the Death Star as a weapon. He was protecting Leia from the corruption of the Dark Side when he realized that Vader would come for her if he didn't. Both times, Luke didn't strike out until someone pulled his friends into it. At that point, it was not longer about killing a potential threat to himself, it was about removing a clear and present danger to his friends.

MattFrontino
07.18.2012 , 12:04 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by DDSilver View Post
You are forgetting an important part : Luke was not a Jedi yet at that point.
^ Exactly

Quote: Originally Posted by Wolventhorne View Post
Technically, everything Luke did was in defense. He was defending the fleet and his friends from the Emperor who was wielding the Death Star as a weapon. He was protecting Leia from the corruption of the Dark Side when he realized that Vader would come for her if he didn't. Both times, Luke didn't strike out until someone pulled his friends into it. At that point, it was not longer about killing a potential threat to himself, it was about removing a clear and present danger to his friends.
This is completely invalid. Let me remind you Anakin killed Mace Windu in defense of Palpatine, his friend.

Luke's passion for his friends was his weakness and path to the darkside. When removing vader's hand, he sees the FAILURE AT THE CAVE ON DEGOBAH (most important scene ever). Then it all makes sense to him and this realization completes his training as a Jedi Knight. Duh.

Remember also, Vader never intended to kill Luke. He wanted to rule the galaxy with him, which is why he only took his arm. Vader's passion was to be with his son, even more after his transformation into a Jedi and with Luke's life on the line. Enough to turn him back from the Dark Side
Frontino - Vanguard
<Final Chapter>