Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Didn't Luke use his emotions/anger to beat his Father?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Didn't Luke use his emotions/anger to beat his Father?

DragonAgeOrgins
07.16.2012 , 06:22 PM | #1
I'm playing back the movie where Luke Skywalker finally faces his Father. I'm re-looking at the entire clip. During it the Emperor taunts him and says

"Use your light saber and strike my down" Luke then try's to do just just. Darth Vader whips out his light saber just in time to block the attack. In which the Emperor laughs

-Wasn't Luke driven by his emotions anger. Striking down an unarmed man was not the Jedi way. Yet he tried to grab his light saber to do just that-

Second Example

When Darth Vader searches around the room for Luke. He say's "If you cannot be turned to the dark side maybe she will" then Luke surprises Vadar unleashes a fury of attacks knocking him down to the ground.

-That right there second example. He was concealed hiding untill then. Then he heard about his sister provoked by his emotions and used his light saber to beat his Father into submission. IMO he was driven by anger not peace. He was provoked, going on the offensive not the defensive.

Final Thought.

In his final battle with Darth Vadar would it be fair to say Luke used his anger/emotions AKA the dark side of the force to defeat his Father? sure his emotions worn down when he saw his dad was dying. Yet he didn't look like a person in control. He looked like he was driven by hate/anger those are sith traits.

Rayla_Felana
07.16.2012 , 06:28 PM | #2
Regardless, he realised what he was doing when he disarmed his Father and in an act of loyalty to the Jedi, he threw away his only weapon.

Also, in reality the duel was not really a duel at all, because Vader was holding back and struggling with his emotions the entire time, Luke says as much later on that if Vader wanted to kill him, he'd be dead right now.

Tuscad
07.16.2012 , 06:37 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
Regardless, he realised what he was doing when he disarmed his Father and in an act of loyalty to the Jedi, he threw away his only weapon.

Also, in reality the duel was not really a duel at all, because Vader was holding back and struggling with his emotions the entire time, Luke says as much later on that if Vader wanted to kill him, he'd be dead right now.
^ This. A Sith who has killed countless Jedi versus a Jedi new comer who has never even dueled... Vader would have killed him if he was trying, but he couldn't bring himself to kill his son.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Captain_Zone
07.16.2012 , 06:56 PM | #4

I see what you did there.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Rayla_Felana
07.16.2012 , 07:00 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
I see what you did there.

Wolfninjajedi
07.16.2012 , 07:05 PM | #6
Which I find rather dumb, as it seems to me it undermines all the training he gone through but I digress and have to accept what Luke said.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

AlyxDinas
07.16.2012 , 07:19 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Which I find rather dumb, as it seems to me it undermines all the training he gone through but I digress and have to accept what Luke said.
I'd disagree. ROTJ makes a great point in stressing how potentially close Luke is to the Dark Side. Not in oblique ways but in ways that are notable enough. His actions during the duel with Vader become his final test. And he falters but then recovers.

Without a moment like this, the moment when he tosses down his lightsaber loses all narrative power. As it stands, that moment is the defining moment of his character and of the entire IPs philosophy and morality.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

Wolfninjajedi
07.16.2012 , 07:33 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by AlyxDinas View Post
I'd disagree. ROTJ makes a great point in stressing how potentially close Luke is to the Dark Side. Not in oblique ways but in ways that are notable enough. His actions during the duel with Vader become his final test. And he falters but then recovers.

Without a moment like this, the moment when he tosses down his lightsaber loses all narrative power. As it stands, that moment is the defining moment of his character and of the entire IPs philosophy and morality.
No I agree on that, but what irks me is that Luke said if Vader went all out he would have been flattened. Rest of its fine.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Rayla_Felana
07.16.2012 , 07:35 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
The training wasn't so much to make him a fighter, just to make him a Jedi, so he could resist the lure of the Dark Side.

DragonAgeOrgins
07.16.2012 , 08:23 PM | #10
The training wasn't so much to make him a fighter, just to make him a Jedi, so he could resist the lure of the Dark Side.
Expect at the end he really didn't resist the lure of the dark side. Without him trying to strike the Emperor down his Father never would have dueled him. Without him channeling hatred of His Father taking his sister and turning her to the dark side. He never would have unleashed those fury of attacks.

I understand the ending of him jumping around and cheering and trying to save his Father. Yet when it counted he used his emotions. As a full Knight, he channeled that. Maybe at the end he stopped but short term he did what Sith did and used his emotions to help him win.

How does that make him better then a Sith, expect he didn't keep on using his emotions?