Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking Lost Island HM in Columi?

CharleyDanger
07.16.2012 , 01:07 PM | #1
I have heard people say that you need half Rakata to tank Lost Island HM, and I have heard half Columi, and even Battlemaster. I am a few pieces away from being full Columi and was thinking about queuing for LI HM.

My thinking is that if LI HM drops Columi it means that the FP can be done in half Columi. I do not want the FP to be easy, I do not think content is fun unless you wipe at least twice. But I am wondering if people are queuing in recruit or greens. I think the FP is doable in Columi, but only if the group is also in similar gear.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback on peoples experience with using the group finder to do LI HM. Thanks for taking the time to read, any feedback would be appreciated.

jarjarloves
07.16.2012 , 01:11 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by CharleyDanger View Post
I have heard people say that you need half Rakata to tank Lost Island HM, and I have heard half Columi, and even Battlemaster. I am a few pieces away from being full Columi and was thinking about queuing for LI HM.

My thinking is that if LI HM drops Columi it means that the FP can be done in half Columi. I do not want the FP to be easy, I do not think content is fun unless you wipe at least twice. But I am wondering if people are queuing in recruit or greens. I think the FP is doable in Columi, but only if the group is also in similar gear.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback on peoples experience with using the group finder to do LI HM. Thanks for taking the time to read, any feedback would be appreciated.
i've done it but it requires you have good healer and good dps. Everyone must know the fights really well.

Dademoor
07.16.2012 , 01:14 PM | #3
Responded to the wrong post .. my bad.

Good luck in LI HM!
Likely Outcomes of Owning a REAL Lightsaber
1% Save the galaxy 2% Sell it to the highest bidder
7% Become a ruthless murderer
90% Immediate. Accidental Self-Dismemberment

Anakis
07.16.2012 , 01:15 PM | #4
I would be against doing it if everyone in the group was not full columi or better. I think that LI HM should drop rakata as it's tier 2. Why does it drop the same stuff as Taral V HM? It's really quite illogical.
--- The Harbinger ---
Esri, Vezpa, Kaycey

Tatile
07.16.2012 , 01:15 PM | #5
It's entirely doable. I did it in Columi and I'm, at best, a mediocre tank. I ran with guildies so we had two competent and well geared DPS who had done the instance many times before and we had a very well geared healer (Mercenary and everything! ). The only reasons we wiped was because I was being a bit dim and trying to tank in Shii-cho form.

CitizenFry
07.16.2012 , 01:16 PM | #6
The tanking role is more forgiving of PVP gear than healing or DPS roles, IMO. The defensive stats on PVP gear (Armor, Shield, Defense, Absorb) are roughly equal to PVE gear of the same item level, though your Endurance will be a bit lower. Your main stat is going to be a LOT lower, but fortunately, as a tank, your DPS isn't all that important.

pureeffinmetal
07.16.2012 , 01:21 PM | #7
If you are doing Lost Island in a pug, than the gear of the players in the group will rarely be able to overcome the fact that its a PuG.

If its a guild group? I've healed a tionese geared tank with my gear consisting of level 50 epics.
Fallschirmjager
Lightning Sorcerer
<Rapture>
The Shadowlands (Formerly Shadow Hand)

alifaraaz
07.16.2012 , 01:53 PM | #8
Yeah as other said, depends a lot on the rest of your group.

If you've got a good healer (not just geared but good in terms of skill) then you would be fine.
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

NotRonin
07.16.2012 , 06:13 PM | #9
'Stock' Columi is better than 'stock' Rakata for tanks, due to the excessive amount of accuracy on Rakata gear.

While better gear helps, tanking in Lost Island is more about skill than gear. For the robot boss, the tank must interrupt all incinerate (even when moving). For 'Donkey Kong', you need to position the boss away from the group so they don't get the swipe attack. For Dr Lorrick, fight him near the kolto tank and use it to LoS his bomb satchets. The first time I cleared LI, I only have around 22k hp in Columi gear (with stim), and it was more than adequate.

Vankris
07.17.2012 , 07:52 AM | #10
I did tank as shadow (succesfully) LI HM in full orange gear with daily quest modification, not even tionese level gear. Only earpiece and implant were columi/rakata. pre 1.3 nerf on the shadow, with 2 range DPS.

So yes, as long as the group play well, the FP is a cake in full columi.

specifically about the shadow, it's the only tank that can interrupt at 10m range which make the incinerate cast within the bubble a non issue. Beside, shadow can self dispell incinerate with resillience if necessary.
Shadow | Kinetic Combat