Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class Feedback

Jonespiano
07.17.2012 , 11:57 AM | #21
I play normally as an MM sniper, more so in PvE than PvP.

1. MM is viewed as one of the highest DPS builds along with Annihilation Marauders. In the absence of Arsenal Mercenaries or Juggernauts, Shatter Shot is extremely useful utility, and in EV, Ballistic Shield is very useful for the Missile Barrages from the first boss. But it is viewed, rightly or wrongly, as having issues with mobility due to its reliance on attacks from cover.

2. In PvP, we might get beaten down in the initial burst, but in general, I find I last longer under fire than I do on my Assassin in DPS spec. The immunity to charges and interrupts, immunity to CC with Entrench up, the knockback with a root, the additional instant root we can use on top of that, Flash Bang if you're alone and about to get stormed by a group, the ability to dodge powerful attacks such as High Energy Bolt and Aimed Shot with Evasion, Ballistic Shield and Siege Bunker to mitigate AoE damage.. the MM Sniper is very good at what it does and has a lot of tools that make it greatly harder to kill. Our greatest enemy is the Infiltration Shadow or Scrapper Scoundrel.

In PvE, I actually disagree that MM has lower mobility than the other specs. It is dependent on cover for optimal DPS, but there are a lot of perks to the tree to help compensate. Orbital Strike's cast time is reduced by 1 second making it less likely to get interrupted, similarly Reactive Shot reduces the cast time on Ambush, Followthrough can be used out of cover while repositioning, we have Cover Screen to keep our ranged defense up while we're moving, and Snap Shot gives us an instant re-opener for when we get back into cover. So our damage out of cover isn't as good as the other trees.. we can still use Corrosive Dart and Overload Shot, or if we know the move is coming, we can do a burst phase and use the transition to recover energy. It's that kind of flexibility and depth that makes me love playing MM and resist playing anything else.
Ebon Hawk - Tarazet - Level 50 MM Sniper
Shaduka - Level 50 Darkness Assassin
Sirrush - Level 41 Medicine Operative
Pan'tera - Level 45 Pyrotech Powertech

Ramion
07.17.2012 , 11:58 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunitySupport View Post
[COLOR=#f9d648]Hi everyone,

1. How do you think your Sniper spec is perceived by other classes?
2. How do you perceive your own spec?
Lets start this out by saying I play a PVE Marksman sniper, I do not PVP so I can't really comment on that aspect.

1) in FP and world content we're regarded as a very powerful and useful spec, one shoting weak or standard enemies, burning through strong enemies in a couple of shots and taking out large groups of enemies with an orbital strike. OPS groups are starting to see us as less and less of a resource they want to have though, we do good dps, but it seems everyone else can do it better now. we are quickly being passed by Lethality snipers, and even engineering can do the same or higher then us now.

2) I chose sniper to play a hard hitting ranged combatant and Marksman is fun to play, but now that armour reduction debuffs aren't terribly broken, because being able to negate 100% of armour was broken, we find our damage being over mitigated compared to other classes. I greatly dislike Lethality, I've never liked DoT classes, and really don't want to play it, but I keep being told by more and more people that I'd "be better" if I respeced. I think that our spec has too many things that focus on defense and not enough focus on increasing our shots damage.

optimacy
07.17.2012 , 12:50 PM | #23
All 3 specs are perceived about the same...Easiest DPS to kill. Just get them out of cover or attack them moving and they go down quicker than any other class by far. They are most deadly in huttball since getting to them is more difficult, but not much of an asset in any other WZ. Almost no utility (except PP for engineering), limited mobility and less dmg than top dps classes. Higher skill cap too.

Same as above. There should be no difference in #1 and #2 unless you are assuming answers for #1 from people that have no experience in the game. If so, then what is the point of this???

Katrasle
07.17.2012 , 03:56 PM | #24
Spec
31 Marksman- 7 Engineering -3 Lethality

In Warzones I think people perceive me as a threat that needs to be shut down. It has never been uncommon to watch someone run past 2-4 players in order to take a long trek up a ramp to attack me. I don't believe they would do this all for an "easy kill", but more so stop me from hurting them.

I personally love my spec, however I do realize that I am not choosing the optimal spec for PVE dps (which would be lethality). MM feels like what I think a sniper should be, precise and hard hitting. I don't really care if it is not the "best" spec because it has not held back my progression at all (finished clearing normal EC), as long as I can pull my weight I am satisfied.

clearsighted
07.17.2012 , 04:16 PM | #25
How do other classes view me?

UNKNOWN TARGET EFFECT

How do I view my own class?

UNKNOWN TARGET EFFECT

Suggestions?

Seriously, bioware. Why build a mechanic where in the heat of PvP, especially on Novare, I have to stand there like an idiot and get f/cked in the A cause I didn't realize there was some fold of dirt or piece of metal crap that prevents me from taking cover?

Vitellius
07.17.2012 , 05:03 PM | #26

As an MM who PvP's, I feel i'm perceived like a wasp. I can sting hard, but i'm also easily squashed. I think we are seen as an annoyance to the opposition. Nobody has to think twice about trying to chase me down. I start my attacks and i'm quickly killed so they can move on to other things.

Firstly, I just really wish I had an escape ability. Secondly, I don't feel like a sniper. I feel more like a stationary gun emplacement. Once I set up, there's little to no reason to move until I die. I can't run away. I can't cloak. Other players can just get out of my range or disappear, wait me out a bit, then reappear after i've used some cooldowns. I love the class, but I don't feel as heroic as the other classes.
"Smoke me a kipper...i'll be back for breakfast." -Ace Rimmer

Shalashaskka
07.17.2012 , 10:55 PM | #27

Generally respected enough to not be rejected for group missions specifically because of my specialization. They know I'm a DPS and therefore know what my class is generally capable of. I think that they would think that a ranged DPS is more of a benefit than a detriment.

Long-ranged DPS is definitely a benefit, especially when grouping. The Agent's well-crafted story makes soloing a pleasant affair, and the Sniper is well complimented by her companions. Ability specialization makes for some very effective combos.

Celacia
07.18.2012 , 12:50 AM | #28
I play an entirely pvp MM sniper, for reference.
1.How do you think your Sniper spec is perceived by other classes?
I don't think that players of other classes really have any perceptions about my spec, per se, unless, of course they look at the numbers at the end of a match and see how much less impressive mine are than those of other snipers who are specced differently. Otherwise I feel that I am mostly viewed by opponents as an easy target, because I am very squishy, even in full WH, or as a threat that needs to be taken out ASAP, depending on whether they have played with/against me. I get focused a lot, and I die a lot. It gets very frustrating, even if I generally use my power for distracting the other team to my team's benefit (and I do).
Quote:
I don't feel that I am ineffective, but I think MM compares pretty poorly to the other two specs in pvp - less survivability, less mobility, less damage overall, but I still vastly prefer it, because I enjoy how it plays, and have no intention of switching. I don't feel that I am contributing as much as I was before 1.3, both in comparison to the other two specs and also in comparison to other classes whose damage is less likely to get mitigated than mine is. It's kind of embarrassing to keep seeing (for example) a similarly skilled and similarly geared lethality sniper doing twice as much damage as I do and dying significantly less.
Edit: I also wanted to say that I love the cover mechanic, it makes the class interesting and unique to play - but I really wish it wasn't quite as broken as it is.

Naose
07.18.2012 , 02:46 AM | #29
I play a marksman sniper.

I have heard we're hard on hight armor classes, not so good against peeps with cast cuts.

I love the idea of a power damage dealer with long cast and little mobility, I still miss a bit of outcome, but probably its my fault. I enjoy the tactic difficulty of the class.

Kalliadies
07.18.2012 , 04:03 AM | #30

PvP Good players of every class do everything they can to shut down a "well played" sniper, or to avoid being in their sights

Most People however, heavily underestimate snipers and label them an easy kill. A sniper played and geared to potential is a nightmare.

PvE Great utility, control and very high Damage

I play all 3 specs. All 3 specs are powerful.

ENG great area control, mixed damage and a powerful burst (has a cool off period)

MM insane pressure, max DPS with no downtime

Lethiality, perhaps needs a little buff. Does the most damage overall because of AoE dots, but not always meaningful damage. has a very limited rotation.