Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class Feedback

clearsighted
07.16.2012 , 02:16 PM | #11
1. How do you think your Sniper spec is perceived by other classes?

I think we're kind've in a hazy area where most classes don't think much about us. FOTM maras/sents or pyrotechs tend to complain the first time they experience a cover pulse or leg shot?

PvP wise, 1-49 doesn't matter, and lvl 50 PvP is dominated by maras/sents and vangs/pyros. So I think most people feel relief, to see a sniper.

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

I like it a whole heck of a lot more than my mercenary. I often feel like I could do much better with a mara/sent or a pyrotech, but I generally feel as if I have just enough tools, and unique useful properties, to be relatively content on my sniper.

I think sniper, at least after recent changes, is probably among the best balanced ACs.

I think we could use, in lvls 51-55, something like a 'Sniper Redeploy' cd, where we can turn invis and get a speed boost for five or six seconds.

BubbleDncr
07.16.2012 , 03:03 PM | #12

I play engineering spec, which most people don't know about its capabilities, other than recent complaints that our PP is too overpowered in Warzones. I've been told by members of my guild, and PUG groups, that I should switch to Lethality do get the most out of my dps.

I played MM for months, then switched to Engineering, and found my DPS to increase in both raids and PVP, but my feeling of being useful to my team in PVP skyrocketed. However, it seems to have been proven by parses that Lethality out-dpses MM and Engineering by a fair amount in PVE, so I feel like I'm sacrificing my usefulness in raids in order to play a spec I love. I worry if this continues, I'll be pressured by my guild, and simply not accepted in PuGs, unless I switch to Lethality.
~ The Orelli Legacy ~ Prophecy of the Five ~
Elys'iya - lvl 50 Sniper Arìya - lvl 50 Sentinel
Lia'li - lvl 50 Powertech Alindra - lvl 50 Sorcerer

cidtheslayer
07.16.2012 , 03:46 PM | #13

1. Long range death that is hard to get to and usually best avoiding.
2. Works well with others but alone can find it difficult to adjust to enemies on top of you. Quite squishy if the wrong enemy gets too close and you can't keep your distance ('but don't look like you're keeping your distance'!)
\.o. \.o. \.o.MASSASSI REBORN.o./ .o./ .o./
ịΞΞΞ||«»{███████████████████████████}

chuixupu
07.16.2012 , 05:22 PM | #14
Pretty good damage for both PVE and PVP....but generally class cannons (Squishy).
In operations, they're great single target damage, and the Ballistic Shield comes in handy for certain encounters.
Lacks mobility compared to other ranged classes.

Mostly the same as the above answer overall.

MM and hybrids: Bursty, least mobility, good aoe, decent survivability. Good energy regen.

Lethality: Best mobility, less bursty, highest sustained damage potential, but less durable. Energy regen requires more monitoring. Dots can be difficult to track with current UI limitations. AOE is required for single target damage, which can be cumbersome in some situations.

Engineering: Good energy regen and survivability, great AOE, least single-target damage potential, clunky/slow feeling mechanics. Same problem as Lethality with AOE abilities required in single target situations.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

ObeeRizzle
07.16.2012 , 05:25 PM | #15
I think people that play other ACs kind of look past the Sniper for the most part. Its not the most amazing AC, and its not the most popular AC. I think they are missing out though.
I think the Sniper AC is a competitively powerful AC that gets overlooked. Its a very fun AC to play due to its lack of down time between those big hits everyone likes to see when they are dpsing. At times I feel less mobile than others, but the big crits make up for it when I get into position.
Quote this post and bash me all you want for calling you out, IDC. It makes me smile

ChiPhiZD
07.16.2012 , 05:59 PM | #16
Beta to 1.3 Marksman, 1.3 to present Lethality

Snipers are considered a secondary AC at the moment. Although I am pushing 2200 cunning, many people would rather have a Pyro/Mara in their group. It's really hard being a sniper because our only option is 3 trees of DPS. Hence, we should always be at the top damage because we can't go heal or tank (lol, tank). Equally geared maras and pyros just smash out more DPS and they know it. In PvP, once we are found out we spend more time in the respawn area than anything.

I have fun playing it, but have created alts because its not as sniper'ish, or fun, being Lethality as the Marksman. I do push out great dps, but seeing others drop 200-300 more is just disheartening. The tech/armor pen issue is a real pain and that is why I do not play it as much as I used to.
Firebrand 50 Sniper | Firebullet 50 Powertech | Fireswords 50 Marauder
Guildmaster of Infinite on Tomb of Freedon Nadd

KalSpiro
07.16.2012 , 07:28 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunitySupport View Post
My Sniper spec is Marksman. I think most people perceive it as underpowered, weak, and unhelpful.
Quote:
I think it is just the right combination of pure single target death dealing and personal survival. It is not a glass cannon. It takes a lot to kill a smart Marksman and that Marksman will make you pay for ever pixel of healthbar in the process.
Passion rules thought. Serenity is the path to understanding.
Ignorance rules power. Knowledge is the path to strength.
Weakness rules the masses. Control is the path to victory.
Through the Force my will is done. Through my will the Force prospers.

NoTomorrow
07.16.2012 , 07:43 PM | #18
1. There is no common opinion about snipers. Some claim its very easy to kill while others consider them a very serious threat. The current sniper weaknesses ensure that sniper is not considered overpowered no matter what their ranged dps output is.

2. First and foremost a support class that will never be able to carry a team by himself/herself. Sniper performance in game scales incredibly based on the other team members' skill. The better the team, the exponentially more stronger the sniper is. Same goes for opposite. A good marauder or pt can carry a bad team, a good sniper is not enough.

Sniper is currently the best and probably the only viable ranged dps in pvp. Other ranged dps classes are lacking eirher burst, survivability or utility.

Congratulations on designing a class that may probably have the best and most balanced, fun and interesting selection of specs for a dps class.

Despite all the burst, sniper is way behind in healer killing capability compared to marauders and pt pyro. 12 second interrupt coupled with inability to follow the target behind the corner makes a dedicated healer killer job an exrremely frustrating experience.

Thank you for reading.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Harmony
07.17.2012 , 05:28 AM | #19
PvE DPS (Lethality)

General: A Sniper?!? Lethawhat?!?
Guildmates: Long time to setup, vulnerable to target switches. High mobility. High DPS. Little utility.

Annoying. Explosive Conflict involves a lot of target switching, which Lethality is very poor at. Make Corrosive Grenade reset if a target affected by it dies, or give a Skill that makes Corrosive Dart apply the DoT of Corrosive Grenade (even a weaker version that does not proc say Adhesive Corrosives etc) to help out in all situations where splash AoE is not an option. Nothing but love for Cull.

PvP DPS (Lethality)
Depends. When revealed as a Lethality sniper, I seem to go up in priority to be killed and people tend to avoid me if not going for the kill. Before that, I'm mostly ignored (don't use ambush, so don't have people LoS me until Cull starts rolling).

2. The cooldown on Corrosive Grenade, once again. The time to setup a cull is more understandable, but Dart, Grenade, Weakening Blast and finally Cull is a lot of work - in particular if someone else gets going on them and they are dead during Cull - means idling around for Grenade to pop back up to continue the assault. Same suggestions as for PvE would go here.

Lethality is probably the best "ranged DPS" realisation I've seen in a MMO. It feels like playing a melee with 30 meters range, and even though some mechanics are clunky, it's a boatload of fun.

ScribbleC
07.17.2012 , 06:38 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunitySupport View Post

Engineering spec here. Viewpoint from a PvP perspective.

1. Engineering is now becoming more popular, but only for the 18s Plasma Probe defense, which is really a one-trick thing. Other than that most people are not really aware of the abilities of the spec, and some will outright dismiss it. Still a sniper, so still a relatively easy class LoS, and a nice big red target marker to help them find you. I've also only seen one 'nerf Plasma Probe!!' QQ in the PvP section, so most people either ignore us, or underestimate us.

2. Most useful of the three specs, but lacking on-demand burst with the relatively slow cooldown on Explosive Probe. Very good defender, and great fun to play, but sometimes I really want either more range, or a fade-into-stealth-while-not-moving-or-while-in-cover ability to be able to really feel like a sniper and not just a guy with a gun. I really also would not mind seeing Sniper DPS on par with Pyros and Marauders, since our only role is as DPS.
Red Eclipse