Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class Feedback

CommunitySupport
07.16.2012 , 10:41 AM | #1
Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1. How do you think your Sniper spec is perceived by other classes?
2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

DSafana
07.16.2012 , 11:13 AM | #2
By opponents that are currently most active (Marauders and Sentinels) they hate us and want us nerfed because we are their only counter. By our own guilds, They'd rather use a marauder to fill their PVP ranked teams unless we spec to plasma probe for node defense. And for PVE DPS, a marauder does better.
I like the gameplay of full marksman, but it's not the optimum spec due to mitigation, therefore I'm forced to play Lethality or someone will compare my DPS to a marauder and not want me in their group.

Infalliable
07.16.2012 , 12:09 PM | #3
I generally play a lethality spec for sniper, almost purely PVE.

Quote:
I think lethality is generally considered a good end game PVE and PVP spec. However, I think sniper specs in general are sort of ignored by the general game population. No real negativity towards them, nor any great love.

Mobility is seen as a weakness of all the specs. It's not even that snipers don't want to move, it is just clunky to do so. The slight time delay in standing from cover means all the snipers I've seen eat the red targets in operations boss fights at a much higher rate (Toth & Zorn especially) than other classes.

Quote:
I think it's pretty good for single target damage (PVE operations and PVP) although rather poor for solo questing. I think it's pretty well balanced although a little squishy with a lack of talented defensive abiities.

Oh, and lethality is garbage as a leveling spec.

Elboc
07.16.2012 , 12:26 PM | #4
I am going to preface my answers by saying I ONLY PvP. Aside from the occasional hardmode, I dont do any raiding.

I feel that snipers are feared by the oposing team if left alone, but they know they are generally easily shut down if focused. A good team will focus a sniper and keep them sitting in the reswawn pit more than anything.Some kind of an escape would be a huge help for staying alive.

I have run two of the sniper Specs for quite some time, MM and Lethality. What makes me sad is after playing MM for about 3 months, I finally realized I had to give it up. Despite recent buffs and my true love for the spec, it just isnt competitive compared to lethality. This is largely because of damage mitigation just destroying the white damage put out by this spec. Lethality is amazingly good, but at the same time I find it boring to do the same set up and Cull over and over and over. MM Feels like a real sniper, but until the damage is tech, or something else is changed I dont believe it will be viable at a high level.
Jët - Level 55 Mercenary - Rank 75 Valor
"Agent" Smìth - Level 50 Sniper - Valor Rank 97
***The Untold Legacy*** The Bastion Server -"Founder"

Skotal
07.16.2012 , 12:34 PM | #5
I play a marksman sniper.

I expect that marksmen snipers are considered to be easy kills in pvp, but deadly if ignored especially to healers and low armor classes. In pve marksmen snipers are seen to have good dps but are required to remain stationary so dps suffers greatly when forced to move often. Marksmen are viewed as pure dps without mobility or utility.

In pvp i view myself as a supporting class focusing on killing healers or denying areas especially in huttball. In pve i view myself as a mass add killer with orbital strike and a damage dealer whose value to the operation is solely additional personal dps.
"Bad bad men. Women too, to be fair. Oh, yes. They make a fine sandwich, also, heh, heh, heh. But don't tell the Jedi Council I said that." -Jolee Bindo on the Sith

I joined the Sith for the sandwiches

Malles
07.16.2012 , 01:06 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunitySupport View Post
Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!
1. Standard ranged DPS class. Lots of burst, very squishy. Can be LoS'ed out of cover.
2. Man, I can kill anything that holds still long enough. Except FP and Op bosses.
I used simple happy language words to help you understand.
Why yes, I have been a proud SWTOR Community member since August 2011. Why, wanna fight about it?

Somokon
07.16.2012 , 01:07 PM | #7
The majority of my time is spent as an Engineering Sniper in PvP.

Underrated, Engineering is definitely the least popular sniper spec and it's utility is not that well known outside of those who play the spec. When I explain the spec to others they are often surprised at it's capabilities. Those who know about plasma probe interrupting objective capping often think it's overpowered.

Very powerful ranged dps with some excellent utility. I would go so far as saying that engineering sniper is the best ranged dps to bring to organized group PvP, as it has more CC, more burst damage, more utility, and more AoE pressure damage than Sorcerers and Mercenaries.

Medestrato
07.16.2012 , 01:34 PM | #8
I play marksman mostly, for the burst in some situations in PvE or quick kill in PvP, after 1.3 i use lethality more often then before - it has more overall damage (like +200 dps). I'll describe marksman spec:

1. MM spec is not easily recognized by enemies since you stay quite away from them. If they figure out what's killing them - they begin to hunt us hard or avoid us altogether. They eventually succeed and lose interest for some time, then the cycle repeats or they stay on us until the very end of the match. Allies don't think much of this spec, it's very hard to notice even by teammates.

2. It's a random roll - you either hit for some 5-6k or receive an "absorb" notification and die soon after. Seeing how Bounty Hunters ignores most of the armor with their attacks i can't understand why we don't. Almost no defensive abilities, no reliable way to slow down an opponent that is running away - LoS is an issue, it's reducing the usefulness of the spec to zero.

Mirdthestrill
07.16.2012 , 01:54 PM | #9

I think Sniper is seen as a massive annoyance that can kill you.

Right about in the right place. High possible damage output, but difficult to play and get right.
I <3 alts!

metaldragen
07.16.2012 , 01:58 PM | #10
I generally play PvE only. We're valuable to the raid in my guild - lots of DPS (I generally am top 2 DPS in most fights). However, we don't bring much utility. I feel we're often passed over for marauders due to greater raid utility but have not experienced this personally.

Marks pre-1.3 was great - felt like a sniper and did high single target and good burst. Lethality is where it's at now for highest DPS, but it's a fairly boring rotation with little utility and poor multi-target abilities.
Roving Guns Jedi Covenant PvE
Texa - 50 Marksmanship Sniper | Lexah - 50 Bodyguard Mercenary | Rexah - 50 Immortal Juggernaut