Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class Feedback

underjollyroger
07.23.2012 , 12:19 AM | #101
Bodyguard/PVP

1. How do you think your Mercenary spec is perceived by other classes?
Own team - they prefer having an Operative healer

2. How do you perceive your own spec?
I rolled a bodyguard, because it sounded like a though character who can stand his own and protect his allies (not so much interested in killing). And he really looks tough. Unfortunately it turned out to be a kolto spamming baby that everyone must take care of. The playstyle of a bodyguard comes down to:
1. Stay hidden in the most boring places of the map where noone can see you and spam your 3 healing buttons.
2. When someone sees you - ALWAYS run away in the face of danger and NEVER try to fight back. Now...who chooses a "Bodyguard" to behave like this? Not me for sure so I rolled a Jugg and don't play this joke anymore.

The name "bodyguard" of this build is just absolutely not suitable and leads to misinterpretations and disappointments.

Naytiri
07.23.2012 , 01:07 AM | #102
so replying again after having tried out the Merc Pyro.

1. somehow sees this as inferior to other damage dealing classes.

2. i have switched from bodyguard to pyro and even in my combat medic gear i am topping dps charts. not really sure what the problem with this spec is here. its a lot of fun and the damage output is great. just keep track of your dots and put them on everyone. throw your grenade whenever its up and rail shot ur way to victory. No huge issues here honestly.

WhiskeyGin
07.23.2012 , 02:15 AM | #103
I'm a Bodyguard Mercenary.

1. I often feel looked down upon by the other healers; I'm definitely perceived as the weakest healing class. However, I can hold my own if I play to my strengths: free minor heals on-demand, strong single-target healing, and directed, predictable-value heals. I'm not flashy, but I get the job done.

2. Personally, I really like where my merc is at. I've got the strictest resource-management requirements of any healer, a terrible AOE, and absolutely no viable HOT's; however, I wouldn't change it for anything-- except the AOE. I know people like to complain about merc's being poorly-built (or worse yet, Nerfed =X), but it's extremely fun for me because it's so difficult.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Whiskey of The Shadowlands' Redrum

Asavrede
07.23.2012 , 06:42 AM | #104
[Healing] Underpowered in ops, due to limited ability to deal with spiky damage. Generally less desirable than sorceror healers, yet still more desirable than operatives.

[Healing] Really poor in PvP, quite fun but highly stressful in PvE. Even though I have good sustained healing ability, I do lack tools that notably sorcs have like full group regen/healing (AE) and damage mitigation (kolto shells is a joke now - needs an armor component or something to make up for the nerf). Overheats too quick in high damage / spike situations, regens heat too slowly after to recover, almost guaranteing raid wipe - Vent heat did certainly not need a nerf without a (significant) cooldown reduction as well.

Suggested fix for Kolto Shell now that it has a heat cost, is to allow it to be active on more people at once.

Omophorus
07.23.2012 , 08:13 AM | #105
I play, or have played, all 3 specs, so I want to comment on all 3.

Arsenal - In PVE, totally middle of the road... nothing special, nothing that makes you a liability, so entirely adequate and nothing more. In PVP, annoying if ignored and left to free-cast, but free kills for anyone remotely competent. So basically, underpowered in both PVE and PVP (nothing compelling in either environment, and wearing a giant, neon "Kill Me" sign in PVP).

Pyro - In PVE, like a Pyro PT, but worse. In PVP, like a Pyro PT, but worse. So basically, underpowered in PVE and PVP (straight-up inferior to the same spec on the other AC in all situations).

Bodyguard - Great single-target healing throughput, lame group healing throughput. In PVE, good for FPs and Heroics, but not ideal for Operations. In PVP, annoyingly sturdy, but fairly immobile and thus easy to manage. So, basically, underpowered in high-end PVE and decent in PVP.

Arsenal - In PVE, totally middle of the road... nothing special, nothing that makes you a liability (other than the lack of an interrupt), and thus no real reason to consider bringing one except as a space filler (because who wants mediocrity?). In PVP, utterly useless due to the entire design of the spec. It's a casting-heavy turret with pathetically little ability to maintain range, and very little ability to avoid being locked down (so basically, a Marksmanship Sniper but shockingly more awful in every way). Not exactly underpowered in PVE, but lacking any real distinguishing characteristic to make the spec desirable, and underpowered in the extreme in PVP.

Pyro - In PVE, more work to get similar results as compared to Arsenal. In PVP, like a Pyro PT, but worse (good mobility, but reliant on channeled attacks to proc Prototype Particle Accelerator, no real tools to consistently gain the space to use said channeled attacks on demand, and no guaranteed proc on Combustible Gas Cylinder to reliably kite anything). So basically, underpowered the whole way around (more work for same results = sub-optimal, same/more work for worse results = obviously sub-optimal).

Bodyguard - Great single-target healing throughput, lame group healing throughput. In PVE, good for FPs and Heroics, but the cruddy AoE healing and overall group healing throughput is a detriment in Operations (almost always requires pairing with a Sorc or Op, and always the "redheaded stepchild" of the pair due to overspecialization on single-target heals and poor resource system). In PVP, sturdy but frustratingly immobile and frustratingly poor at group/AoE healing (and with the way most WZs go, single-target healing throughput doesn't matter too much against focus fire or heavy AoE). Definitely underpowered in high-end PVE (neither Op nor Sorc is dependent on another class to cover for their deficiencies in an Operation environment), and decent but frustrating to play in PVP.

Othr
07.23.2012 , 11:15 PM | #106
arsenal

PVE - decent
PVP - weak. I can do quite a bit of damage but then again so can other classes who don't require a full team to take care of them, very easy to shut down.

Boring, it simply revolves around mashing a single key to get your tracer missile stacks and then waiting for a random 'proc' to use other abilities. It does have good spike damage but the defensive abilities are lacking as compared to other classes.

Darpvaida
07.23.2012 , 11:24 PM | #107

Answer
1. crystal pee shooter.
2. fun crystal pee shooter.
RAIGE / DALBORRA.
DARP/DALBORRA

KarathAnno
07.24.2012 , 09:54 AM | #108
My merc is not my main so despite being 50 I have limited end game experience with this AC.

Healing Spec Merc, PvE only

1) I rarely if ever see/play with/hear about heals spec Merc.
2) Respeced after 1.2, no plans to go back to healing.

Pryo Spec Merc, PvE only

1) Most people seem to think it's a lesser version of the Powertech Pyro and at best middle of the road DPS.
2) I really enjoy playing my Pyrotech but it is my only DPS character so I don't have a good frame of reference for how it compares to other classes. I do feel it is a little over reliant on the RNG for dumping heat though and not having an interrupt is *very* hard to adjust to.

PerinnAybara
07.24.2012 , 01:10 PM | #109
1. How do you think your Mercenary spec is perceived by other classes? (PvP, Mercenary Bodyguard.)

They perceive us as very immobile healing tanks. Just like dps mercenaries, we are more susceptible then other classes to interrupts, thus more easily manageable then other healers in rated warzones.

Our survive-ability under extreme focus is much better then other healers, but our sustained output is much less.

Although we can talent into the pyro tree, gyroscopic alignment jets, our heals cost too much, so our sustain under intense healing is less. The redesigned terminal velocity, a two point talent up the arsenal tree, reduces heat generation much more then our readjusted 3 point critical efficiency. Our redesigned Kolto-shell either should have a halved heat cost, or have the single target restriction removed. Our talented cure, should actually heal for something comparable to the kolto missile. Also the redesigned supercharged gas only adds two percent heals during intense healing situation. And since the nerf to critical efficiency, we can only use one or two healing scans during the duration while maintaining a favorable heat blance. Thus Supercharge gas is utilized as a miniature heat dump to maintain less then 40 heat, then for any of it's secondary effects. Our redeeming feature is our talented energy shield which allows us to survive for a set amount of time each fight.

1. How do you think your Mercenary spec is perceived by other classes? (Pvp Pyrotech)
We are the under powered cousin of the powertech pyrotech. In rateds, our damage and utility is second class to all other classes.

While we do have the awesome ability to rain death from afar mercenaries require certain changes. Our powershot was overtuned after the 1.2 patch. Although our unload and rail shot have been buffed we still require some more changes. Unlike flameburst, powershot does not have a greater chance at proccing combustible gas cylinder then rapid shot, which means power techs are much better at kiting melee then mercenaries. Our powershot should have a 50% chance of proccing combustible gas cylinder talented. Without a cover mechanic it is difficult for us to deal with most classes
Character: Mathrim Cauthon, 50 Mercenary on Prophecy of the Five

Erikusz
07.25.2012 , 12:56 AM | #110
I like the class, but there is 1 thing that bothers me: Unload gets stuck a lot. He just keeps shooting the corpse like some maniac and in pvp it draws a lot of unwanted attention. Also: the female merc has some kind of trouble with long hikes and after a while she acts like she was hired by the ministry of silly walks.

Please fix it.
MatteŁs, Sage Cymon, Mercenary