Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class Feedback

Frumyrfrenzy
07.16.2012 , 12:47 PM | #11
I've been playing a commando for a long time with all specs, mainly in PvE content (operations).

1. Gunnery is seen as superior dmg-wise to the assault spec.
2. Gunnery is boring to play. Assault a lot of fun because I like setting things on fire. Combat Medic is as fun to play as Assault which is why I switch. Dmg-wise Gunnery seems to be superior to Assault, which kind of saddens me some times.

Spuck
07.16.2012 , 01:08 PM | #12
1. How do you think your Gunslinger spec is perceived by other classes?

Commando Combat Medic: I believe others see this spec as second rate compared to other healing classes.

Commando Gunnery: I believe others see this spec as providing poor damage output compared to other damage classes.

2. How do you perceive your own spec?
Commando Combat Medic: I enjoy the healing with Commando. But at times it does feel less productive than other healing specs.

Commando Gunnery: The majority of this spec's damage is through cast/channel abilities. Most of the time, in PvP, due to interrupts, knockbacks, stuns and having to stand in place like a turret, the damage output seems lower compared to other damage specs. This spec dies very easily in PvP.

Malles
07.16.2012 , 01:14 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunitySupport View Post
Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1. How do you think your Commando spec is perceived by other classes?

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!
1. PvP wise, the Commando is horrible. Easily seen, easily gotten to, and easily killed. The only viable PvP spec for it is the heal spec..
2. PvE, I dominate. Grav Round is amazing. For PvP, though, I think if some changes were made to the Assault Specialst tree we'd be golden. Make Plasma Celll have a 100% trigger like the Vanguards have so we can still be doing damage while charging shots.
I used simple happy language words to help you understand.
Why yes, I have been a proud SWTOR Community member since August 2011. Why, wanna fight about it?

Stacksem
07.16.2012 , 02:01 PM | #14
I wanted to say thank you for doing this. Here are my thoughts on my Commando in the context of PVP and PVE with regards to the Gunnery Specialiazation.

PVP: Unfortuntely, many see me as undesirable. I have been ridiculed and laughed at by other players for even entering a warzone with my class/spec. Their arguements include; lack of utility, lack of survivability, and laughable dps.

PVE: Very strong dps class that shines after the changes in 1.3, the minor 1.3 patch and the fix to deadly cannon. The ae capabilities are very strong, strong back up healer, and great sustainability.

PVP: I don't see what others see. I love the damage and burst capability. But there is one very clear and glaring problem. Gunnery commandos can be completely shut down very easily with almost no reliable means of preventing it, primarily by melee. We need one minor ability in defensive utility to help this class stand on it's own. Either a uninterruptable state or a root mechanism to allow for seperation.

PVE: Best experience I have had in end game raiding in any MMO. Thank you for that.

Grimoir
07.16.2012 , 02:04 PM | #15
PvE: (DPS perspective) Good Ranged DPS with enough utility in the form of off-heals whenever necessary.
PvP: Laughed at for their lack of mobility and interruptibilty. Targeted first to stop the potential damage output, but more because of how easy they are to kill.

PvE: Fun and fairly easy to play. I find that off-healing/rezzing while DPSing is indispensable in emergencies and makes me feel like a true contributor.
PvP: I wont even attempt to play my class in PvP for the same reasons that no one else wants us as DPS. If I had the gear to heal, then maybe I'd take a stab at it, but as a DPS I find the spec to be pathetically easy to shut down in PvP. I target any Commandos/Mercs first on my Vanguard/Powertech because I know its an easy kill.

Suggestion: Moving the uninterruptible shield talent lower in the Healing tree would be an awesome improvement for this AS as a whole. Another idea was maybe an addition to one of the Gunnery talents that gives a 1-2 second stun when you reach 5 stacks of Gravity Vortex on a target? You'd have to wait for your stacks to fall off if you wanted to use the stun on the same person, but it would reward being able to get 3 grav rounds on a single target.
~The Jykoor Legacy of The Bastion(PvP)~
Anasì - Terminal Velocity[Hybrid] Powertech - Level: 55
Jerïcho - Tactics Vanguard - Level: 55

DarthTHC
07.16.2012 , 02:07 PM | #16
I'm mid-40's and specced to heal. PvE only.

I don't get a lot of feedback one way or the other personally.

Compared with the Sage, it's really, really hard to heal with a Commando. It seems like it's a combined problem of resource management (which often feels like 10% of a Sage's) and weak heals. If you're going to run me out of energy swiftly, at least make sure when I use the skill that does it, it increases my tank's health by a substantial amount!

Naviss
07.16.2012 , 02:13 PM | #17
I mainly play Gunnery Spec as my commando is my main.

In PVE: A mild class dps that is ranged. A slight buff to the group in terms of Vortex.
In PVP: Useless unless you're a combat medic and even then not great. Others know in a 1v1 with decent gear can steam roll a Gunnery commando.

In PVE: The most fun of any other class to play. Damage wise I feel cheated vs other more powerful dps classes. As a fully geared commando, I still feel weak. But game play wise it feels fun. Just missing that little extra punch.

In PVP: Honestly I feel like I'm a joke. I'm out run by all other classes for the most part, I'm out gunned. An if anyone get's on me I'm just dead weight. We have one real CC that lasts only a couple seconds, And our big one can't be cast in the heat of battle. Grav round rarely can be gotten off during a fight.

As said many times, My roll is support and is such I try and fill. Standing in the back and nuke. Though my damage still isn't amazing and lacks compared to other dps classes. I feel as if I'm crowd controlled over 90% of a fight in a 1v1. By either knock downs, Stuns, Or interrupt's.

illiam
07.16.2012 , 02:15 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunitySupport View Post

To start with I am a Combat Medic and only do PvE. Done what there is in game regarding PvE in 8-man.

1. I honestly do not look around that much for what other think but the general thing seems to be that we are supposed to be weak due to ammo being sparse.

2. I actually like my specc as long as you use tactics that work for each type of healer. As a healer I feel like I perform well when it comes to single target heal while not moving to much. As an example never put a combat medic on kite healing the blue damage things on the 2 tanks in Denova, wont get much healing output from a moving combat medic. The task I perform very well is healing both tanks solo while standing "safe" on the inside of one of the tanks. I enjoyed it more since the "nerf" because before that it wasnt much thinking, spam on and you still had ammo. Now it needs a bit more planning and knowing a fight to know when I should use recharge. When I can spam burn my ammo. I tend to use the Supercharged cells more as regen and clicking of the buff after a single AMP-MP combo to top someone up. With planning there is decent single target burst abilities, with planning I mean to not burn your ammo up. The weakest part for sure is AoE which is quite meh to be honest. But I see the other healer types picking up that flavor. Healing with moving is doable in short time quite rare scenarios where the instant heals are up. Require planning to have them up if you know that will happen and you need to pitch in.

In short. Single target, quite stationary. Get a role in PvE for that and a combat medic can have a very high healing output. When it comes to moving and healing as well as AoE the other healing types out perform a combat medic.

If I should ask for something I really feel crippled without the 4p bonus. The reduction that makes on CD for AMP and the instant heal really helps a lot. I can see this being annoying if the bonus is changed in some new sets.
Member of Violent by Design!

SoulSardonic
07.16.2012 , 02:34 PM | #19
Level 50 Gunnery Spec'd Commando. PVE focused with all raids and all difficulties down.

What others think: Somewhat of a faceroll class (lots of Grav Round spamming), but does good damage. Very slow movement, easy to kill in PVP.

What I think: I enjoy playing a Commando in raids because I feel like the class fills the the ranged DPS niche nicely while giving me access to some other useful skills (The two Med Probes, CC, Cleanse, self heals). While I mainly just root myself and cycle through my rotation, I can also help my raid by cleansing dots, CCing adds, or throwing spot heals. The only defensive ability I have is on a 2-min cooldown, but my high armor and endurance somewhat makes up for that. As of my last parse, I feel that my DPS is lagging behind some other classes (mainly Sentinals and Gunslingers), but not to a degree that I feel like a hindrance.

Thoughs on Combat Medic: Don't play it often, but I can be a serviceable PVE healer. Man is ammo hard to manage now. Really good single target healing, but ask me to start dealing with large raid-wide damage and I fall apart. Have to use too much ammo way too quickly, and then I'm done.

decrypter
07.16.2012 , 02:37 PM | #20
very weak unless healer , you wont get into rwz teams , lack of survivability and utility means your bottom of the list

2. How do you perceive your own spec? I play assasult spec which is mediocre @ best due to lack of no interupt/survivability and utility