Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class Feedback

CommunitySupport
07.16.2012 , 10:39 AM | #1
Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1. How do you think your Commando spec is perceived by other classes?
2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

Iliac
07.16.2012 , 11:39 AM | #2
I currently play primarily assault commando. I have played gunnery in the past also.

Easy, one word answer: Useless. A dps commando has less utility and less damage output than pretty much any other dps class and is perceived as a waste of space.

Weak. It upsets me that a vanguard can have an almost identical spec to me but do 10% more damagae even though they have worse gear.
"We live in a country that guarantees your free speech,
but it's not a country that guarantees anything you say is correct"
-Neil DeGrass Tyson

Trevalion
07.16.2012 , 11:49 AM | #3
I actively play both Gunnery and Combat medic spec, so I have to answer these questions for both specs. I primarily play the PvP endgame although I have participated in both story mode and hard mode operations and flashpoints as well.

Gunnery spec:
In pvp I think that this spec is perceived as an easy kill. Although I am dangerous if left alone it is easy to shut this spec down. Nobody but guild groups would invite this spec into a ranked warzone. In pve this spec is perceived by others as an acceptable ranged dps with some utility.
I feel very underpowered when compared to the damage specs of that *other* trooper/mercenary advanced class. I feel that this spec requires a high skill level in order to perform well in comparison to other damage advanced classes. This class is not worth taking into a ranked warzone because it is too easy to shut down and focus. I think of myself as a huge gun with almost no ability to escape from even a single opponent in pvp. I find pve to be super easy in this spec.

Combat Medic spec:
In PvP I feel that others respect the combat medic for its survivability under fire. The combat medic is a good off-healer but the healing output is not on par with either scoundrel or sage. When partnered with a tank the combat medic is very hard to kill. A combat medic is the last choice for a ranked warzone.
I feel like the combat medic is easier to play than the gunnery spec. My healing is more single target focused and so I feel like my total healing is under par compared to scoundrel and sage. I am less mobile and my AOE heal is unreliable. Ammo management as a combat medic requires a lot of attention and skill to manage properly.

Kirazy
07.16.2012 , 11:52 AM | #4

Deadweight in PvP environments. We lack utility, and our damage has become sub-par relative to other DPS classes. We have no escapes, and almost no defensive skills. We are cannon fodder.

Fun in PvE, but more or less useless in high-level PvP engagements. It takes a lot of work to get my damage up to where other classes are hitting, and there's no incentive to do this as we lack the utility in PvP, and PvE there are ultimately better choices than a Gunnery Commando.

Lord_Karsk
07.16.2012 , 11:54 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunitySupport View Post

!
Healing tree is good but dps wise pvp a joke(gunnery) Assault tree is mostly for random pugs but still good.
But gunnery is still good for pve.

Weak and hard to kite enemies and actually fire of skills when using gunnery, useless tree in any pvp.
To weak and to easy to destroy.Cant keep of enemy player and channel skills without beeing shut down.
Assault works better but bring little to teamplay.

Driftrunner
07.16.2012 , 11:59 AM | #6
Combat Medic Spec

I have overheard on many occasions that Commando Heals are the weakest and that they should be the last choice for a healer in Flashpoints or Operations. In PvP I constantly hear that I shouldn't even be queueing if I am going to play Medic in a warzone.

above average heals in PvE but unable to counteract extreme bursty type DPS, AoE healing is on the light side and could be improved with Smart AoE targets. Healing in PvP is subpar and easy to overcome. Anytime Hammer Shot is used to Heal in PVP its a Beacon to kill the healer, and cripples healing on the move.

Gunnery Spec

Gunnery has the perception of being a one-button wonder able to do massive DPS by spamming nothing but Grav Round.

PvE sustained DPS is good on fights over 30 seconds where there isn't alot of movement (like Ops Bosses) however PvP damage takes a while to ramp up. Not being able to Move in PvP can also be a huge detriment as most DPS abilites are channeled or have a cast bar. There is little way to get out of melee range and seems like most Melee have twice the number of gap closers as we have ways to get away.

Zarslothis
07.16.2012 , 12:19 PM | #7
Glad to see you guys asking for our feedback!

My main character is a 48th level Commando focusing on Gunnery spec.

To answer your questions:

I think others perceive the Commando as easy to shut down and remove from opposition in PvP. Others also feel that this should be the last class you invite to a group.

2. How do you perceive your own spec?I think the Commando/Gunnery is a tough class to play properly. When surrounded by good teamates, you can really shine and help your side to win, but if with a poor group that doesn't help, you end up dying an awful lot. I feel the biggest issue is we don't have as many ways to get melee off of us as they have abilities to close gap with us.

dalevan
07.16.2012 , 12:22 PM | #8
1. How do you think your Commando spec is perceived by other classes? I play the Gunnery spec and I think my spec is perceived as an easy kill in PvP, but can do some heavy damage if left alone to cast it's hard hitting specials. In PvE, I believe everything is fine.

2. How do you perceive your own spec? I feel the same way. In PvP, I can hurt people if left alone, but can be shut down and killed easily with interrupts and stuns. Gunnery needs some kind of escape like the other DPS classes have. Knockback should have a root to keep melee from leaping right back to you after being knockedback or an interrupt /stun immunity special like some other classes have.
Dalevan - Commando Sibella - Vanguard Avicus - Sage
BKSN

Riivan
07.16.2012 , 12:29 PM | #9
Haven't used DPS spec in a raid situation yet, I'll speak to heals.

1. We're perceived as capable single target healers or raid healers where raid-wide damage is minimal.

2. I enjoy the resource management aspect. I would like to see another heal that could be "spammed" when **** hits the fan and Supercharge Cells is down.

Aikiyc
07.16.2012 , 12:32 PM | #10
Healer specced Commando. Primarily PvPer.

Take my feedback with a grain of salt. My Commando is only 31, but my experience watching and playing with other very skilled Commando/Mercenary healers gives me enough insight to provide a bit of feedback.

Equally powerful and weak. Good at keeping self alive, or one friendly target alive (huge burst potential). Very immobile, weak AoE heal, very difficult resource management (with nerf to Supercharge Cells and adding ammo cost to Trauma Probe).

Fulfilling its niche: burst healing on 1 to 2 targets. Couples very well with a Sage or Scoundrel healer. Resource management and healing kit must be seen as parts of a whole, and with the lens of huge single target healing ability (i.e. it's okay for the target to get below 80%, since your heals are much larger and more powerful).

Positioning and movement is as much a part of our rotations (for both healer and DPS Commando) as any other ability, a fact I think many players overlook when they complain of low healing or damage.
The Teltae Legacy
There's no escape from the mind.