Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class Feedback

CommunitySupport
07.16.2012 , 10:38 AM | #1
Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1. How do you think your Marauder spec is perceived by other classes?
2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

Wookieenator
07.16.2012 , 10:50 AM | #2
1. I think my marauder spec (Carnage), is viewed as overpowered by other classes because of the powerful gore+ravage+scream/berserk+gore+massacre.
2. I perceive it as quite a fair spec, and really only for team play. I don't enjoy solo queuing as Carnage because it's easy to counter, but I understand why someone could think it's overpowered if they do not know how it's played. If a marauder jumps on you and starts using a ravage, every class has multiple abilities to interrupt it whether it be a stun, knockback, or a mez. This is where the main damage comes from and it's on a 30 sec CD. Carnage marauders left unchecked can do huge amounts of damage, but this goes for every other dps class in the game as well.

Zeutheir
07.16.2012 , 11:33 AM | #3
I think others view the Marauder as providing consistent DPS to help defeat an enemy more quickly. I haven't really asked others, but it seems to be easy to fill a DPS slot if a group needs one.

I view the advanced class and spec as providing a relatively straightforward way of dishing out DPS. I don't think I completely understand exactly all of the mechanics (but I'm only level 21), but it seems like there's a lot that I don't understand. I push the buttons that I know work well when I do them in order, but I can't say that I really understand exactly what's going on.
Zeutheir Greymyst
MMORPG Career: SWG: Began playing at launch. Servers: Test Center and Bria
LOTRO: Beta tester and began playing at launch. Server: Landroval
SWTOR: Beta tested, took a break. Currently playing on The Ebon Hawk.

ghostops
07.16.2012 , 11:43 AM | #4
1- Perception of my class/spec from others

To keep this short. We are viewed as overpowered by the majority of the community especially after the damage reduction to Mercs and Commandos in patch 1.2. Currently all 3 specs are viable in solo and ranked warzones in there own ways. However Ravage seems to be the major cry from the community that with all crits it can hit anywhere from 5k to upwards of 12k, that and this skill is viable in any spec or skill set.
With defensive CDs though we become next to unkillable between CoP and Saber Ward and then force camo(hit and run) and of course Undying. But in ranked warzones it actually becomes a team effort to control the Marauder/Sentinal so he is not wreaking havoc on the medium and light armors on your team.

2 - Perception of my Class/Spec from myself

I dont like rage it is too predictable and too easily avoidable in my eyes. I played Annihilation all the way from day 1 to 1.3 and I still play it on occasion. As a whole the spec is very balanced between burst and sustained dps in both PVE and PVP.
Since 1.3 I started using carnage with Gore taken off of GCD. I have noticed there are only 2 burst cycles in this tree the Massace->gore->ravage->force scream and then Beserk -> Gore ->Massacre->vicious slashx5->force scream but the spec is then just filled in with keeping massacre buff up with battering assault and assault. this is prob the area where I feel this spec falls off but this is in my eyes how it was designed.
With Defensive CDs though I feel nigh invincible when fighting anyone 1v1 however when I dont have these CDs I die in under 3 seconds against anymore then 2 ppl. but with Undying i have managed to pop it then kill a Commando in that 6 seconds from full. In this regard if you know your class you can succeed where others think you would have died but if you dont know the full extent of your own class then you well die before you can accomplish what you set out to do.
Marauder rank 64
http://www.twitch.tv/akgrose

marshmallow
07.16.2012 , 12:15 PM | #5
1. Marauders are definitely viewed as being overpowered by most people, but I do not think that statement is true. We are a melee only DPS class, so DPSing is our only option. Other classes also see our defensive cd's as being overpowered but I would say we need them. If you are a marauder not using your dcd's you won't last very long. I'm currently carnage, but other good players who know how to play their class and spec can come close to me in DPS be it in PvP or PvE.
2. My spec (carnage) provides a lot of burst damage, but not as much utility as the other spec annihilation does. But I think we make up for it with our crazy bursts every 15 seconds. I think we can be easily countered in PvP if our opponent utilizes their stuns, knockbacks, and interupts. I would say we are a fair spec as it is right now.
Scoundrel-rep
Juke-moves
Duxo
Every Dog Has It's Day

Bjorkus
07.16.2012 , 12:22 PM | #6
Marauder is the most feared class in pvp. I see this mentioned regularly during warzones, and in general chat.

Marauder was my last toon to 50. The leveling process was extremely quick. Most encounters were very easy. I'm also 50 valor on this toon. I usually do well in pvp. I however don't feel overpowered while playing it in pvp. Marauder can feel overpowered while playing AGAINST one in pvp, but it depends on your class. Leaping is fun, but overall it feels like just another melee class.

Werdan
07.16.2012 , 12:55 PM | #7
While I've played all 3 specs, I've mostly played as Rage spec (5/5/31). I'll comment on all 3.

ANNIHILATION
1-Generally perceieved as FOTM and overpowered.

2-Probably the most played spec, it's one of the best 1v1 classes in the game and beastly in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. Not as hard to master as some would have you think. Even poorly geared but well played can make this spec look OP.

CARNAGE
1-Predation buff bot and excellent CC.

2-I hate looking for procs which is why I never really enjoyed the spec much. Can do rediculous amounts of Scream/Ravage damage. Not many play this spec due to the popularity if Annihilation but is almost a neccessity for group PvP (particulary Huttball and Civil War).

RAGE
1-Most people scoff at this spec thinking it's a one trick pony.

2-While Smash can do great AOE damage it's easily avoidable and needs a range increase to a 7.5m radius. It's also not always instant as if I get knocked back at the same time as I use it, it will usually miss altogether. Obliterate needs a buff to at least 20m range and/or damage increase. Force Crush slow could use slightly lower cooldown (from 18s to 15s) and range increase (from 10m to 15m).
TRACE
THUNDERHIPS
ISHKA
BRUTALIZE

LarryRow
07.16.2012 , 12:56 PM | #8
Playing Carnage

In PVE, we are perceived as having good damage and group utility, and I agree. Occasionally run into problems where someone would rather have ranged dps, but it's rare.

On to PVP:

1. How do you think your Marauder spec is perceived by other classes?

Very strong if not OP. Opponents hate all our defensive cooldowns and get out of jail free cards which make it possible to escape and heal up or grab the health pickup. We are perceived as necessary for competitive group play due to our group utility (roots, mobility, group buffs).

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Fun! Also balanced. Very powerful when CDs are available, very squishy when not. I feel this way when I play the class and when I play against it. You were wise not to nerf. Also think they are better for group play than Annihilation.

Infighter
07.16.2012 , 01:45 PM | #9
2) In my opinion, Marauder's damage is in the right place for all the 3 specs in PvP. It probably is one of the few classes in the game which requires an averagely high skill cap to be completely effective and rewards that skill cap with great damage. It also has a lot of utility which makes it really wanted in rated groups.

What I think is wrong right now with Marauders are the defensive CDs. They could be just fine if the other DPS classes had anything remotely similar to it, but alas, they do not. Marauders right now can dish very competitive damage and are the sturdiest non-tank class in the game (debatabily just as sturdy, if not more) thanks to Cloak of Pain. Having also other defensive abilities like Force Camouflage, Saber Ward and Undying Rage makes fighting a Marauder very unnerving for most other classes.
Mindlessly nerfing CoP might result in worse things than good ones, a fix could be to reduce the uptime to a max of 20 seconds.

Undying Rage is also too strong right now, it's unsure what the design of it is supposed to be. Is it supposed to be a skill you use to deal 5 seconds more of damage before dying? Is it supposed to be an Out-Of-Death card you use to have a healer heal you up to max after you use it? Right now it does both which is too strong in competitive play. If it should be used for the first thing, it needs a 90-50% heal reduction, if it needs to be used as another survivability cooldown it needs a 50% damage dealt reduction.

Carnage needs to lose the 30% faster Predation, which you will either give baseline or to no other spec. It makes having at least one Marauder in the group mandatory for its sheer importance at the start of a warzone, Carnage already has its roots as utility compared to the other specs. Annihilation needs some sort of dispel protection, maybe one similar to Lethality Agents. Annihilate cooldown reduction needs retooling, it currently is impossible to get more than one stack in any kind of serious PvP. Maybe having it be reduced by 1 second for each damage over time you have on the target? That makes the dispel protection similar to Agents have sense. I don't play Rage much but I seriously think that it needs a complete overhaul. Making it a spec that is simply there to crit for 6k every 12 seconds AoE doesn't make for a very compelling spec.

/feedback

Hadlis
07.16.2012 , 02:21 PM | #10
1. We are viewed as overpowered and hard to kill....most players have gone up against a marauder 2 on one and lost to a good player.

2. I feel this is how every class should be set up. Tons of abilitys and potential damage if played right. Once I figured out the right place and time to use my skills there is no class I can't kill solo. I wish all classes were as effective as this one.
65 Jugg, 65 PT, 65 Marauder, 65 Assassin

Guild= FoE "Fist of the Empire"
Join here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=271844