Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gunslinger just doesn't feel right

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Gunslinger just doesn't feel right

Andge
07.29.2012 , 11:37 AM | #11
I totally agree with OP. To me, gunslinger feels like a smuggler turned self-trained republic agent/sniper. He is not the daring do sci-fi western gunman I had hoped for. Everytime I play on Imperial side and see Vette, I envy her; she gets to run around on her two feet and fire charged bursts and aimed shots.
The trailer where a smuggler walks towards Imperial commandos, firing his two guns, promised us something else than what we got

Gassygunslinger
07.29.2012 , 03:40 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Andge View Post
I totally agree with OP. To me, gunslinger feels like a smuggler turned self-trained republic agent/sniper. He is not the daring do sci-fi western gunman I had hoped for. Everytime I play on Imperial side and see Vette, I envy her; she gets to run around on her two feet and fire charged bursts and aimed shots.
The trailer where a smuggler walks towards Imperial commandos, firing his two guns, promised us something else than what we got
Have you tried Dirty Fighting tree?
Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

TheHarvester
07.30.2012 , 11:53 PM | #13
While "Gunslinger" as a term might give the image of a highly mobile Cleric John Preston-esqe one man army, its only actually referring to the fact that you have 2 guns. Regardless, in the right hands, the GS is absolutely one of the most powerful ranged classes, being pure DPS.

I roll in the SS tree on my slinger, and talented right, you actually don't really need to move all that much. Ballistic Dampers upon entering cover, instant Charged Burst, and a HUGE single point hit from Aimed Shot available more frequently due to reduced cooldown. Plus Hunker Down reduces area damage by 60%, which in conjunction with Defense Screen, will render enemy AOEs trivial when you have a healer around.

The GS is actually designed to be a semi-stationary ranged F-stuff-up class. Although, like an above poster mentioned, you should ideally switch locations once in a while to re-gain Ballistic Dampers and the instant Charged Burst and also avoid advertising to enemies in PvP where you like to set up.

Plus, cover gives you the Unshakable buff for the duration you're in it and prevents Powertechs and Warriors from charging you. Pretty damn useful unless someone knocks you out of cover.
Jedi Covenant

Andge
08.02.2012 , 04:02 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Gassygunslinger View Post
Have you tried Dirty Fighting tree?
I must admit that I haven't, since by reading the specs, I don't get the impression that DF is more mobile. But maybe I'm wrong about this? Will give it a try then.

NoTomorrow
08.02.2012 , 04:32 AM | #15
This is why when the game was released wehad more snipers than gunslingers. Sniper players knew exactly what to expect.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Veniras
08.02.2012 , 04:37 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Andge View Post
I must admit that I haven't, since by reading the specs, I don't get the impression that DF is more mobile. But maybe I'm wrong about this? Will give it a try then.
The general consensus is that in terms of mobility

Dirty F > Sabotage > Sharpshooter

Ideally the best 'slinger is the one that the enemy doesn't notice.

Pandemoniac
08.05.2012 , 05:54 PM | #17
I agree with the OP, except for one little thing. Cover prevents Force Charges. That's why it's there. It makes the Sithies run to you through a hail of blaster bolts rather than just leaping straight to you and cutting you down with a glow stick. If you could figure out another way to fix this problem, I'm all ears. The simple fact is that GSs would get their faces rocked in pvp without cover. I mean yeah you can use a stun here or a scattergun there... you can get some burst damage on them but more or less you won't survive (I know there will be those who say you can survive if you l2p your class, but over the long-run the sith will win far more than you will).

Brool
08.06.2012 , 09:26 AM | #18
personally, my gunslinger feels great and has felt great since I started playing her. By far my favorite toon.
Phalanx
The Harbinger
We are playing a game of rock paper scissors.
Quit asking to nerf rock when you are obviously playing scissors.

Chestnut_Bowl
08.06.2012 , 10:36 PM | #19
My GS is pretty mobile with the DF spec. That said, I don't have a problem with the cover mechanic nor the stationary nature of most of the class's abilities. It may have to do with my lowered expectations: I just wanted a class that could dual-wield pistols and look cool while shooting. I got what I wanted.

Lightning_
08.07.2012 , 06:49 AM | #20
All other classes would sell their soul for the defensive mechanics of cover - immunity to leaps, pulls and interrupts, and with Hunker Down - immutiny to everything they may throw at you. Cover is not a burden, it's a tool to be used. Even in the DF spec which is indeed quite mobile you do want to use cover to defend vs. leaps, interrupts, etc.

Also, where do you see the mobile ranged DPS class? Commandos are quite stationary, especially in the Gunnery spec. Sages are stationary in the TK spec, and as for Balance.... are you sure you want to spam TK throw until the end of the world?