Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do you not play ranked PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why do you not play ranked PvP?

Isislol
07.16.2012 , 09:27 AM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Aaroneus View Post
I don't play ranked because I'm just not that good.
This is why 99% of players don't do ranked but let's complain more about gear, class imbalance etc.

rgizzie
07.16.2012 , 09:32 AM | #82
I want to play ranked but can never find a group. I start my owe and it takes forever to find people. We need solo ranked. Just rank people on their individual performance and not wins or losses.

LarryRow
07.16.2012 , 09:33 AM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by mangarrage View Post
Wow someone who gets it completely. You can pretty much end the thread now. Everything is covered here and correctly.
Only if he's right about the matchmaking. If the queue really doesn't take your rank into consideration and matches you against a team that has a significantly higher rank, well, then that needs to be addressed. Otherwise, I think ranked is perfectly viable.

Here is the thing. Losing a ranked > winning a regular warzone. I lost a ranked match and got 65 ranked comms. That's better than many regular warzone wins, where you can get 115 normal comms if you eek it out.

The funny thing: it was a pug match and 2 players quit 1/3 of the way through because they could tell it was a loss. What the heck did they expect? Of course we lost, we were a pug going against a full premade. But if you queue againt another pug team you have a shot at winning and really reaping some rewards.

The sooner people realize this and make teams and queue, the better it will be. The longer it takes for this to dawn on people, well, things are going to get worse before they get better.

P.S. I have a feeling the PVP servers have a much better participation rate when it comes to ranked matches.

Jadescythe
07.16.2012 , 09:53 AM | #84
It's already been said many times in this thread, but here are reasons that I don't do many ranked warzones:

1) Ranked Warzones are extremely competitive, which is the point. Unfortunately, it means you have to have the right 8 people on at the right time to be able to queue. If you grab some filler players, you can no longer compete in this type of environment and I have enough gear to where I don't need to farm comms.

2) Class composition is too important. We don't have a geared marauder or pyro PT. No matter how good we play, we can't win without these classes against a well coordinated opponent.

3) Gear. We don't have enough people with the gear to compete. Sure, you can hop in and get comms faster through ranked warzones, but that doesn't make it an enjoyable experience for those of us who don't just need comms.

Overall, I think the teams that really wanted ranked warzones are happy with the competition they are seeing when they don't run into PUG's. On the occasions where I fill a spot for some of the better ranked teams, I greatly enjoy how competitive and close all the games are in ranked. I think they're working as intended, they just don't appeal to all players.
The Original Aether Legacy
Erza-Jugg / Saberscythe-Mara / Atropo-Sorc
Patharos-Guardian / Kadinne-Vanguard / Aquilo-Sage
Prophecy of the Five

kitsinni
07.16.2012 , 10:03 AM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Here is the thing. Losing a ranked > winning a regular warzone. I lost a ranked match and got 65 ranked comms. That's better than many regular warzone wins, where you can get 115 normal comms if you eek it out.

So basically if you are using ranked to get comms and don't mind a terrible ranking that makes sense. Most people who do ranked actually want their rank to mean something and are not going to ruin their rank so they can gear up quickly. I'm guessing even the ranked teams don't want to see this, they waste all that time in queue to go up against a team with no challenge willing to lose for the comms and then they hardly get any rank because of how low the team wanting gear only was.
Okin

Aaroneus
07.16.2012 , 10:05 AM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Isislol View Post
This is why 99% of players don't do ranked but let's complain more about gear, class imbalance etc.
I see a lot of people talk about how they don't like getting stomped by the same hardcore teams over and over, which is fine. Once season 1 starts up, similarly ranked teams will be playing eachother. Preseason is going to be pitting random teams against eachother, whether they are guild teams or pug teams so that everyone has a starting rank going into season 1. I think once season 1 gets underway we'll see a lot of people returning to rwz's.

But yeah, for me, I do fine while I'm playing on a team with guildies. But I'm still learning MMO style PvP as this is my first MMO, and I've been playing since launch. At this point I just don't think I'm competitive ranked wz material. So I'm still trying to get better and trying to yield good results consistently while queing individually.
Xterra - Sniper <Nothing-Personal>

oredith
07.16.2012 , 10:10 AM | #87
it's a numbers problem.

with ranked WZ being 8, it means it's harder to put together people vs. say, 4. you also have a lot less teams with the relatively higher number of players, which means longer queue, which means people losing interest.

course, you can't very well have objective based pvp with only 4 people, so i'm not sure where that leaves us.

it was easier to deal with in WoW, with 2v2, 3v3, 5v5. it's too hard for a brand new pvp player like me, to assemble a RWZ group to start playing the game, since everyone else is already in a team.

TL;DR - entrance barrier set too high
(╯□)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

KillaDeuce
07.16.2012 , 10:15 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Isislol View Post
A lot of the premades that were steamrolling regular WZs weren't as good as they thought so after losing few rated games they went back to facerolling regular WZs again. These premades don't need gear and losing is not fun so they don't queue ranked anymore.
That leaves hardcore pvp'ers sitting in long queues and finally getting matched with random trade pug. The match is not fun for either of them so after few loses and getting 20-30 ranked comms the pugs stop queuing.
This is what's happening on my server, couple of pvp guilds that were murdering opposition on their old servers just don't perform as good versus other organized teams so they're back to facerolling undergeared pugs and calling it skill.
^ pretty much right on

LarryRow
07.16.2012 , 10:22 AM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by kitsinni View Post
So basically if you are using ranked to get comms and don't mind a terrible ranking that makes sense. Most people who do ranked actually want their rank to mean something and are not going to ruin their rank so they can gear up quickly. I'm guessing even the ranked teams don't want to see this, they waste all that time in queue to go up against a team with no challenge willing to lose for the comms and then they hardly get any rank because of how low the team wanting gear only was.
I pretty much agree with you. But that WarHero grind is gawd-awful, and I think Bioware gets more of the blame than the players. Doing the grind on a second toon is just insane. Also, I was assuming that:

1. As your rank declines you will be matched with similarly ranked opponents until you get to a point where you are winning about half of your matches.

2. Your rank will be reset at the end of preseason.

Am I wrong about either of these? Was this information made available somewhere?

kjkdollarbanny
07.16.2012 , 10:22 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by oredith View Post
it's a numbers problem.

with ranked WZ being 8, it means it's harder to put together people vs. say, 4. you also have a lot less teams with the relatively higher number of players, which means longer queue, which means people losing interest.

course, you can't very well have objective based pvp with only 4 people, so i'm not sure where that leaves us.

it was easier to deal with in WoW, with 2v2, 3v3, 5v5. it's too hard for a brand new pvp player like me, to assemble a RWZ group to start playing the game, since everyone else is already in a team.

TL;DR - entrance barrier set too high
ye its a problem
i played 4 guys premade for a long time and after 1.3 we had problem of getting 4 more decent guys.
then we had trouble with getting all online same time.
still playing 1 time per week