Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do you not play ranked PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why do you not play ranked PvP?

Metalmac
07.17.2012 , 03:39 PM | #201
Reminds me of WoW Arena that I also hate to play.
It is like people that never do Ops or FPs as they hate them.
I like to PVP but not make a job out of it.

That is what is required for Arena or Rated War Zone. It is a job not fun anymore.

Draccman
07.17.2012 , 05:03 PM | #202
They need solo ranked queues (which are coming) and ranked warzones (ONLY, not normal) need to be cross server. There also of course needs to be some kind of ladder which im sure is coming whenever they officially start season 1. Though without cross realm ranked warzones a ladder is pretty pointless, since you could only have a couple of top teams on any given server, not much competition.
trololol

oredith
07.17.2012 , 05:05 PM | #203
Quote: Originally Posted by Draccman View Post
They need solo ranked queues (which are coming)
just curious, is this just speculation? or have they actually said this somewhere?
(╯°□°)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

Draccman
07.17.2012 , 05:53 PM | #204
Quote: Originally Posted by oredith View Post
just curious, is this just speculation? or have they actually said this somewhere?
They said its something they want to add, I cant find the source unfortunately.
trololol

Vasagi
07.17.2012 , 06:54 PM | #205
Coming from someone who did ranked PvP in WoW and gave it up after a few seasons:

1. Imbalance

FOTM rerollers are the name of the game. I do not have time to reroll and regear a new character every 4-5 months in order to stay competitive.

2. Creating and maintaining teams.
Guild/team politics. When you are in a large and successful guild, the politics, brown-nosing, and who knows who turns me off. If you are not in the GM/officer circle, you are basically a tool to be used, blunted, and discarded.

3. The culture in the PvP community.
This is the one that is hardest for me to accept. We are all pretty nerdy, and we all have a hobby that is generally scoffed at. You would think people who live in glass houses would not throw stones, but that metaphor just does not apply here. All the worst traits are worshiped in PvP circles. Selfish, ignorant, immature attitudes prevail. Abusive, aggressive acts are "funny" and mimicked by all. I would love to see some of the "beast" players on my server try to talk to people in person the way they do over the game. Maybe some real life PvP would straighten them out.

zhedeyenite
07.17.2012 , 08:27 PM | #206
Because on my server if you can get a group of people still willing to pvp and be decently geared and all get the same voice software you will still only fight 1 or 2 teams of 8 guys with full WH+augs.

Cross server is needed to give the lesser geared/skilled groups similar competition, not getting so destroyed you can't even get 4 medals, let alone 8. That is just no fun.

Pre-50? Heck, nodes get flipped quicker than my morning pancakes and teams get the last room on VS frequently. Close matches are personally what i find fun and i'm sure the top pvp guilds would appreciate some competition from likewise geared teams on other servers.
Valorous/Ascent - Casual - Social OCEANIC Republic guild
Elkizrah/Elkizor
Seraphic Nexus - Imperial PVP OCEANIC guild
Elkivox

HaLeX
07.18.2012 , 12:42 AM | #207
"""""3. The culture in the PvP community.
This is the one that is hardest for me to accept. We are all pretty nerdy, and we all have a hobby that is generally scoffed at. You would think people who live in glass houses would not throw stones, but that metaphor just does not apply here. All the worst traits are worshiped in PvP circles. Selfish, ignorant, immature attitudes prevail. Abusive, aggressive acts are "funny" and mimicked by all. I would love to see some of the "beast" players on my server try to talk to people in person the way they do over the game. Maybe some real life PvP would straighten them out. """""

Agree with all the posters, biggest fault is not including soloque. I joined a pug the other day took 30 mins to get 8 ppl then 2 left and I figured whats the point and I left. As to number 3 above, playing on a voice chat, I have noticed that people who are nerds in real life like to spout off in voice chat. I guess this is the one place where they feel important idk. But some of the things that have been said to me I would slap the crp out of someone for saying it to my face which is why I do not do voice chat anymore unless its for a specific match where I am asked. I have told guildies to F off and the last incident I just logged off and quit and remember thinking why am I even talking to this person? He's obviously not someone I would hang out with in RL.

Another point is the skill level in rated, its not that there is any real skill needed, its all planning and practicing together. The better teams will know what everyone is doing without even asking. They will have the correct FOTM classes with 2 healers. Everything is preplanned for victory while the pug has no coordination knows nothing about each other. Now if you were to take high rated pugs and put them together, I think that would be interesting even vs a premade, since the pugs would have better players than the 8 man premade.

mtsr
07.18.2012 , 02:43 AM | #208
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghostuka View Post
I have a juggernaut, and ranked teams that I talked to liked Rage spec, which I don't like at all. That is the reason I don't play in RWZ

For people claiming solo que ranked wz: Solo que in RWZ would be a huge mistake. Even non-ranked wz, people keep complaining about how bad is the random team all the time, imagine how much it would escalate if the win/loss numbers were permanent.
Solo Que ranked dont play premades so a flaw in your theory. Or maybe you are right and I should go back and read the dev quotes something about solo que being back fill which is atrocious disrespect for solo casual pug players to be quite honest
Theres no permanent win/ loss in true pug.
Now when premades decide they want to run regular, very quickly they are identified and if they are any good they are scorned to no end for running regular wz.

At least Solo Que should be a treated as a seperate bracket from premades Especially for ranked.

Us Casual pug players dont want to be the fill in for premades we are NOT second class citizens! I will raise all kinds of hades if Bioware treats us a such.
Premade ranked warzone need to fill their slots from Crosss server.

I play all pug and I enjoy the randomness of it. I dont see much complaining these days, with the server merge we have a large pool of players in pug. We know that we arent going to win everytime and sometimes will be outmatched. Experienced players know it will turn around.

Currently pug matches results have been running around 50% win 50% lose for me and thats the way I like it.
Well a few more wins would be nice maybe 60/40 XD.
From the KOTORS *8 years exp in mmo's

sauerkraut
07.18.2012 , 04:07 AM | #209
Because pvp is not fun anymore. It's a stupid CC fest, and healing contest. So i would guess only those who enjoy it sign up for RWZ. Seems there are a very few of them.

islander
07.18.2012 , 08:35 AM | #210
talking to my ranked WZ people last night in TS3 all night, I can say that only half of them are still playing. They are absolutely convinced that client side hacking is taking place, with consistency, in Fatman ranked warzones. They say they don't want to get themselves full WH just to turn around and need to hack to compete. These guys are all 1200+ expertise, most around 1250-80.

Then they explained specifically some of the programs they believe STILL work, including older programs. Most are speed hack in nature. but allow you to obviously do abnormal amounts of DPS in melee range.

I don't see them as much in normal warzones, I guess because they are too busy cheating in rateds.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five