Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Willpower vs power


IsletsReborn's Avatar


IsletsReborn
07.15.2012 , 12:53 AM | #1
I was just wondering if anyone knew how these scaled with each other. For instance is 1wp greater than one power, or if its the other way around.

flEshR's Avatar


flEshR
07.15.2012 , 01:45 AM | #2
willpower > power

DeathByClown's Avatar


DeathByClown
07.15.2012 , 01:53 PM | #3
power gives more dmg than willpower but willpower also gives crit

SlimsPicken's Avatar


SlimsPicken
07.17.2012 , 03:53 PM | #4
power scales .23 and will scales .20 i believe for damage, but will adds crit% as well.

Once you are capped on crit% and hit DR power is more benefit than will.

General rules are cap crit around 35% unbuffed, surge around 75% and then boost power over will, since you will gain more overall damage and cant use the crit % any further due to diminished returns.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.

Aurojiin's Avatar


Aurojiin
07.17.2012 , 07:58 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SlimsPicken View Post
Once you are capped on crit% and hit DR power is more benefit than will.
My god this just won't die.

There is no crit percentage cap. Diminishing returns on Critical Rating and Willpower are entirely independent of one another. DR on Willpower is so low that Willpower remains better than Power for any conceivable gearing level.

leijae's Avatar


leijae
07.18.2012 , 08:03 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
My god this just won't die.

There is no crit percentage cap. Diminishing returns on Critical Rating and Willpower are entirely independent of one another. DR on Willpower is so low that Willpower remains better than Power for any conceivable gearing level.
While I agree that DR on CR and WP are independent, I stacked WP until i was 30% CR unbuffed then stack power simply for the sake of a harder hit. with smug buff my crit is 35%. honestly out of 100% this isnt much diff between 35 and 40. But this is a personal decision. I'm OK with 35% crit. If anyone feels they need higher crit, by all means stack wp. but for raw damage, power is where its at (even if its ever so slightly)

Aurojiin's Avatar


Aurojiin
07.18.2012 , 09:27 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by leijae View Post
While I agree that DR on CR and WP are independent, I stacked WP until i was 30% CR unbuffed then stack power simply for the sake of a harder hit. with smug buff my crit is 35%. honestly out of 100% this isnt much diff between 35 and 40. But this is a personal decision. I'm OK with 35% crit. If anyone feels they need higher crit, by all means stack wp. but for raw damage, power is where its at (even if its ever so slightly)
Yes, it's a personal decision. In this case, your personal decision to do less damage.

Willpower will increase your DPS by more than Power, point for point. This is a mathematically quantifiable fact. It's not about how much crit you feel is 'enough', it's simply that more crit increases your DPS, just as more bonus damage increases your DPS. The crit added by Willpower outweighs the slightly higher bonus damage from Power in net terms.

leijae's Avatar


leijae
07.18.2012 , 11:37 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
Yes, it's a personal decision. In this case, your personal decision to do less damage.

Willpower will increase your DPS by more than Power, point for point. This is a mathematically quantifiable fact. It's not about how much crit you feel is 'enough', it's simply that more crit increases your DPS, just as more bonus damage increases your DPS. The crit added by Willpower outweighs the slightly higher bonus damage from Power in net terms.
per nish77
Code:
Here are some stats:

Willpower Breakdown: 1 Willpower =
0.214286 Melee Damage
0.2 Melee Damage Bonus
0.015% Melee Crit Chance
0.2 Force Damage Bonus
0.014286 Force Crit Chance

(Notice NO HEALING POWER)

Power Breakdown: 1 Power =
0.220779 Melee Damage
0.245455 Melee Damage Bonus
0.227273 Force Bonus Damage
0.17272 Force Healing Bonus

This does not take into account the crit DR from willpower. Although, it doesn't start to taper off for quite a while... getting the amount of crit from it to hit willpower's crit dr is very very large. Still, is it worth it to scale crit up to 40 percent or stack power for spellpower? A quick and easy dummy test showed stacking 'power' over 'crit' which gives much more 'crit percentage' gave higher damage when crit was around 30 percent.
*http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...power-vs-power

Using that math, we take an Advanced Resolve Augment 22 vs Advanced Overkill Augment 22
+18 WP =
3.86 Melee Damage
3.6 Melee Bonus
.27 Crit
3.6 Force Bonus Damage
.257 Force Crit

+18 Power =
3.97 Melee Damage
4.42 Melee Damage Bonus
4.1 Force Damage Bonus
3.11 Force Healing Bonus

You wanted quantifiable facts? BAM! So, like I said earlier, for melee, stack wp until you're at a comfy crit level then stack power for harder hits. for healers, same thing! ZOMG MATH IS CrRrRrAaAAaAaAAAzZZZZZzzZZZZYYYyyyyYYYYYyy!!!!!!!!

ICSWOR's Avatar


ICSWOR
07.18.2012 , 12:30 PM | #9
2 things to consider.

1. You need to add in the damage .015 crit does.
2. Additionally those numbers are done without the benefit of the consular buff which adds 5% more WP per point.

If you take into acount both those statements WP provides more DPS than Power. I utlize simulationcraft to show me the scaling of each stat and so far with full campaign/BH gear fully optimized and augmented(WP) WP still has a gain over power even at those levels. Admittedtly its getting close since I am hitting WP crit DR but WP is still edging out power.

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forum...R-formula-list
This site has a breakdown of the stats and also hosts simulationcraft.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
07.18.2012 , 12:44 PM | #10
Here is a Healing Sage build on AskMrRobot in Black Hole / Campaign gear with 14 Resolve Augments:
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...3-69c72e9693de

2202 willpower
946 bonus damage
720 bonus healing
37.94% crit
75.82% surge

Here is that same Healing Sage with 14 Overkill Augments instead
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...7-0bd7a7501cdc

1922 willpower
948 bonus damage
724 bonus healing
36.64% crit
75.82% surge

Losing 1.3% critical for a measly +4 bonus healing? Nopers.

Willpower > Power