Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gearing up

Sitherall
07.17.2012 , 02:59 PM | #11
My suggestion is take the FREE recruit PvP gear; regardless of whether you like PvP or not. It is free and is 90% of the time an upgrade of what you are using when you first hit 50, for PVE and PvP content. I ran 2x EV and a KP with full recruit gear and had zero problems as a DPS sage.

Once you get that, do PvP whether you enjoy PvP or not; it does not take long to get full battlemaster which is comparable to Columi in most respects. I guarantee you will spend far longer in queues for group finder, and far longer trudging through Ops possibly getting gear drops, than if you spend the same (usually less) time just doing PvP and getting battlemaster.

If I had someone come into an Ops group (SM) with full BM gear, I would have no issues with it; I would not tell them they are gimped, or have bad gear; I would most likely realize either they forgot to change into their Columi or were just starting Ops. I would probably ask why they had full BM on, and if they said they hadn't done Ops before, or were just starting Ops, I would be totally OK about it.

Khevar
07.17.2012 , 03:18 PM | #12
This is a fair point. If you know the fights, their strategies and know how to play your class well, you can do very punishing content without high-level gear.

Saying that, having decent gear will really be a boon when you're still learning how to put everything together. When doing a pug through the group finder, I never complain when someone has poor gear, or pvp gear. But I have noticed that brand-new 50s in recruit gear have a much harder time doing HM FPs because they ALSO have the disadvantage of not knowing the fights.

But if you are lucky, you'll end up grouped with other players that can give you pointers on the strategies and can make it through anyway.

JacksonMo
07.20.2012 , 11:59 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by JeffKretz View Post
This is a fair point. If you know the fights, their strategies and know how to play your class well, you can do very punishing content without high-level gear.

Saying that, having decent gear will really be a boon when you're still learning how to put everything together. When doing a pug through the group finder, I never complain when someone has poor gear, or pvp gear. But I have noticed that brand-new 50s in recruit gear have a much harder time doing HM FPs because they ALSO have the disadvantage of not knowing the fights.

But if you are lucky, you'll end up grouped with other players that can give you pointers on the strategies and can make it through anyway.
Hmmm, yea... blue recruit gear, from a healer's perspective, is "ok" for a DPS, but for the tank, you really want the stats from purple mods you can pick up from doing the heroic dailies. Two on Belsavis give a Mod or armor, and the one on Illum gives an enhancement.
HM FP's are no place for recruit gear. If it's all you have, stick to story mode flashpoints till you have enough crystals to buy a tionese set. It's not about being a "gear snob". HM bosses hit very hard and have much harder mechanics. Even a fully geared healer who knows the fights front to back can't "heal through". Full recruit for PVE content is a sure sign this is your first 50, and by that it's safe to assume you don't know the fights either. (My alt 50 had a basic set of purple modded orange gear right off the bat.)
In that case, it would be best if you have a good guild to help you along. When I was a scruffy, blue modded newb, one of my guildies 2-manned the heroic Black Hole quest with me. My guild basically corpse dragged me through EV several times till I had enough gear to advance to hard mode. That was were being a scoundrel helped me. Being the only smuggler, I picked up gear faster.
Which leads to a side point. If you have a good guild, you can do class runs (4 troopers for example) and pick up four class specific mods and armors. It's a great way to give a helping hand to a guild-mate getting his new 50 geared up.

Edit: I made a mistake, you do need HM fp's to gain tionese gear.