Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gearing up

JasonGriffin
07.14.2012 , 06:09 PM | #1
I've hit the level cap and would love to start doing operations and hard mode flashpoints, but whenever i join a group they always say my gear is too bad. So, What is a good way to get better gear? also, what is the best gear in the game?

epicfear
07.14.2012 , 07:09 PM | #2
well, the first thing to do is several level 50 normal flashpoints, probably battle of ilum and false emperor, where you can get tionese crystals, and occasionally tionese commendations. once you use those to buy several tionese items, you are ready to start trying hard mode flashpoints, which you can get unnassembled columni gear from.

after you have a several columni items (mixed in with maybe an exotech item and one tionese item at most) you are ready to start on the harder stuff. but start slow.
Copy this signature if you believe Timothy Zahn should take over the Star Wars EU

Lopok
07.14.2012 , 08:13 PM | #3
tbh - the tionese crystals ARE a great place to start, BUT run your dailies (gross, i know!)...and then start simply by trading the dailies for the 126 level armor mods and weapons. running HM's is perfectly doable in 126's and seems to be the standard accepted starting gear levels. Again, NOT SAYING dont go after false emperor or battle of ilum, just that you can go around even that much, while filling your credit-stick up with a nice haul of creds! the dailies also offer - at the 200ish mark - relics and implants and all sorts of other goodies!
good luck!

JacksonMo
07.15.2012 , 04:12 AM | #4
You're not specific about what gear you DO have.
I met a newbish 50 the other day wearing a mismatch of gear strength/cunning/aim...
Solo grinding your way to 50, whatever gear you can find is better than none, but at end game, you need to start focusing on what you have, and how does it help you.
PM me what you've got and what class you play, and I'll try to help from there.

Cleet_Xia
07.15.2012 , 03:12 PM | #5
First off, you can clear a hardmode in blue 48 mods. Don't play with gear snobs.

Second off,
you can get 1 purple 50 enhancement from [Darkness on Ilum] HEROIC 2+
a purple 50 mod & armoring from the heroic dailies on Belsavis

If you do the full set of dailies 6 times - you can fully mod 6 pieces of gear and earn enough commendations for 1 rakata implant/51 purple armorings/ hilt/ barrel, plus about 3 million credits to buy relics/ear/ and another implant.

This is a gear set- right under Tionese. And it's more than enough gear to start doing Hard Modes.

The most important thing is really knowing how to play your class pretty well, and having your skill points spent wisely for your role. Few fresh 50's do. Change your spec up a little bit- and see what your talents actually do. And if you've got any ability that you don't use -- learn to use it. Once you can Solo [Darkness on Ilum] you're probably ready for Hard Modes.

If you're a healer or a DPS - always go for the gear with the highest main stat.
If you're a tank- go for gear with the highest absorb/defense/shield chance
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

VigDiath
07.15.2012 , 03:50 PM | #6
No one mentioned it but I will. PVP. I started doing HM's in Centurion gear and worked my way up to BM gear to where now I have a mix of Columi gear, War Hero, Battlemaster, Rakata (self made) and other gear I added mods to. Like someone else mentioned, you can and should use those 126 mods you get from dailies because if you were in blue gear before you can bring it up to purple quality orange gear in no time.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

JacksonMo
07.16.2012 , 08:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleet_Xia View Post
First off, you can clear a hardmode in blue 48 mods. Don't play with gear snobs.
Very true! If you're on Jedi Covenant, Republic side, I can solo/2-man every heroic daily. You don't have to be fully geared if you run with a full Rakata healer.
Not being a gear-snob, I just like being a good Samaritan. And it helps me meet new people which is always cool.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cleet_Xia View Post

The most important thing is really knowing how to play your class pretty well, and having your skill points spent wisely for your role. Few fresh 50's do. Change your spec up a little bit- and see what your talents actually do. And if you've got any ability that you don't use -- learn to use it. Once you can Solo [Darkness on Ilum] you're probably ready for Hard Modes.

If you're a healer or a DPS - always go for the gear with the highest main stat.
If you're a tank- go for gear with the highest absorb/defense/shield chance
Beg to differ here. Not all classes can solo this one, even in full Rakata. Some can, yes. It goes a long way if you can CC an elite and burn the rest down. Unfortunately, smugglers do not have an effective CC that works on this particular quest.
So if you can solo this, you are already well beyond HM flash points and are ready for HM Ops.

Gidrea
07.17.2012 , 10:45 AM | #8
Basics: Make sure you hvae all 7 pieces of moddable (orange text) gear, plus your weapon. Head, chest, hands,waist, legs, feet, wrists), and your weapon. Waist and wrist pieces are hard to come by, but if you do dailies you can get the credits to buy them from the Legacy vendor (150K or thereabouts), or the GTN.

If you do all the solo daily missions, you can make 151K in credits and get 19 commendations. The heroics add another 47K and 12 more comms. Armorings and hilts or barrels are 8 comms each. Get those first, then save up for the earpiece and implants.

The daily heroics award some mods: "A Lesson is Learned" on Belsavis gives out a class specific mod, and "Open Communications" a companion weapon.

Some people have difficulty with the dailies at first, but as you acquire the gear, they get easier. And by sheer repetition... (Don't try to solo the heroics.)

If you're not in a guild, try to find one that's "casual" and friendly, so you don't have to group up with "gear snobs". If you're Republic and on Drooga's Pleasure Barge, send me a PM.

Owsley
07.17.2012 , 10:52 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by VigDiath View Post
No one mentioned it but I will. PVP. I started doing HM's in Centurion gear and worked my way up to BM gear to where now I have a mix of Columi gear, War Hero, Battlemaster, Rakata (self made) and other gear I added mods to. Like someone else mentioned, you can and should use those 126 mods you get from dailies because if you were in blue gear before you can bring it up to purple quality orange gear in no time.
This^
IMO PvP gear is much easier to obtain and is a good starting point. It's also a lot less boring than the PvE dailes.
"But war, organised war, is not a human instinct. It is a highly planned and co-operative form of theft."
Jacob Bronowski - The Ascent of Man

Gidrea
07.17.2012 , 02:42 PM | #10
Not everyone likes PvP. Some people hate it. So the Daily Missions are good for them. They do get boring, that's true, but after a while you get better at them and faster, too.