Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Story line Lightside Vs. Darkside .. which is more entertaining?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Story line Lightside Vs. Darkside .. which is more entertaining?

TimeRanger
07.14.2012 , 09:59 AM | #1
I was just wandering which is more entertaining Lightside(LS) or Darkside(DS). I have heard the going DS on some classes dont work well or mesh up very well.

I only have 4 toons I play 2 are Nutrail mostly and the 3rd is LS. and my Slinger just hit DS 1, before I get to far along DS. I would like to know if it is feasable before i get to far alone

Thxs for and constructive info
"The truth I'm going out there and blow some holes in the bad guys, scrounge up some goodies to make a few Credits and generaly misbehave."

Halkyon
07.14.2012 , 12:43 PM | #2
Depends on what you enjoy, I guess. Dark Side you're slowly groomed into a ruthless Space Pirate, while Lightside you grow into a Jack Sparrow-esque Republic Privateer.

Light side/neutral tended to have the funnier dialogue options, overall. Dark side tends to be shooting people for looking at you funny, while light side has all kinds of hilarious bluffing and shenanigans done to try and avoid getting in a fight.

Playing the greedy coward is probably the most fun you'll have, IMO. I recommend not killing everyone instantly with dark side options, just because the results from not shooting people at first glance tend to be way more fun to watch. On the other hand, if you just flat out enjoy being a ******, shooting first might be your cup of tea.

gumbydpl
07.16.2012 , 09:34 AM | #3
I am only in my mid 30's, but so far most dark side options are *take all the money* or *kill this person*.

I am playing light side with a heavy dose of sarcasm whenever I get the option.

fptackle
07.18.2012 , 04:01 AM | #4
I follow and thoroughly recommend to everyone the stance of: pick whatever you feel like and to heck with the consequences.

You can push your light-side / dark-side later through Diplomacy or Flashpoints, but you only get these mission conversations once. Same thing with companion affection; why play the story in a manner you find less entertaining when one or two gifts will more than make up for ticking them off?

That being said, my Smuggler drifts consistantly towards the middle, with about 3/5 of my decisions being light side. There are a number of times when, if you want to do what 'feels morally right' you're going to eat a dark side hit, like clear back on Ord Mantell with the brainwashed kid. Seriously..

Brainwashed Kid: Thanks for rescuing my from the Separatist Brainwashing Camp. I'm so ashamed of what I did when I was being controlled. I just wish you would give me a pile of your own money so that I can run away, leave the planet, refuse to face any of my problems, and then you can lie to my poor parents and tell them that I'm dead.
LightSide Smuggler: (gives kid money and encourages him to never take responsability for anything)
DarkSide Smuggler: (tells kid that his family loves him regardless and just wants to have him back)
Brainwashed Kid runs away from his problems, or defies you and prefers to remain a brainwashed slave rather than return to his grieving family.
Returning to parents, the destrought mother asks what has become of her son.
LightSide Smuggler: (lies and tells an emotional woman that her only son is dead, crushing her hopes and dreams of being reunited with her family to cover for a punk kid).
DarkSide Smuggler: (tells her the truth: that her son was brainwashed, did some things he wasn't proud of while they were entirely out of his control, and is now ashamed to come home).

Probably 1 out of 5 missions plays out this way, where the Light Side and Dark Side choices just seem completely reversed.

I play my Smuggler like a Space Cop, taking my Deputy commission from Meil to heart as my new job being some sort of Galactic Sheriff. If somebody needs help, I help 'em. If somebody has bad news, I don't lie to spare their feelings. If somebody's a scumbag, they surrender or get shot in the face. And I end up with about a 60/40 split between the way my Lightside/Darkside pans out.