Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Post FOTJ Novel announced: Crucible

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Post FOTJ Novel announced: Crucible

Tuscad
07.14.2012 , 12:25 AM | #1
A new novel called Crucible has been announced and is set for a Spring 2013 release and is being written by Troy Denning, it is set a year after Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse.

"Denning says he's doing a novel about a year after Apocalypse ends. It stars the Big Three, and starts in a cantina, "and yes, Han shoots first." It'll be set in a new part of the galaxy, that's new to readers. Lando is involved, no grandkids."

―Newsarama.com reporting Troy Denning intervention during the SDCC 2012

source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crucible_(novel)

What does everyone think this will be about? I think maybe
Spoiler
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

E-Zekiel
07.14.2012 , 12:41 AM | #2
Out of curiosity and ignorance, who are the Big Three? I don't really read the novels or subscribe to fan sites so I don't know if that is fan lingo or if that is something from the books.

My only guess would be that if it's slang it's something like Han, Luke and Leia or something.

Tuscad
07.14.2012 , 12:44 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by E-Zekiel View Post
My only guess would be that if it's slang it's something like Han, Luke and Leia or something.
You are correct, Luke, Han and Leia are the big three. They are the three main characters that carried over from the films and are still alive (droids don't count), I believe that is where the term came from.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Kilikaa
07.14.2012 , 12:49 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuscad View Post
A new novel called Crucible has been announced and is set for a Spring 2013 release and is being written by Troy Denning, it is set a year after Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse.

"Denning says he's doing a novel about a year after Apocalypse ends. It stars the Big Three, and starts in a cantina, "and yes, Han shoots first." It'll be set in a new part of the galaxy, that's new to readers. Lando is involved, no grandkids."

Spoiler
If it's a year after Apocalypse then I don't see her/it being involved. Might have something to do with the Lost Tribe, maybe even Vestara. We'll find out next year.

Brutanic
07.14.2012 , 02:23 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuscad View Post

Spoiler
Really looking forward to this novel. While I love and appreciate all of the other characters in th NJO and Legacy Era, I'm happy that there making a novel soley for Han, Luke, Leia and Lando.

To address your point on what my thoughts are surronding a plot, I dont think it'll be about Abeloth or the Dagger. Abeloths just been killed, so it seems unlikely that they would revive her immeidately. Similarly the Dagger is unlikely to be addresed as a core element of the plot, as being a "Stand-alone book" Its more likely to be addressed as an indirect metion, or a refence to there progress finding the Dagger and the Monolith. The Dagger would more likely be addressed in greater detail in the next series.

I think, like how "Millennium Falcon" introduced the setting of FoTJ, "Crucible" and I expect "X-Wing:- Mercy Kill" will introduce the setting of the next series.

TonyShadman
07.14.2012 , 07:40 AM | #6
I actually have to disagree with you on this. I've been anxiously awaiting the announcement of a Post FoTJ book, wondering what is happening with Ben, Vestara, Jaina and Jag. Don't get me wrong, I love the big Three, but that's why I'm more excited for their new Comic series post Ep IV. They are getting very old, and Han and Leia's relationship is pretty secure. Meanwhile there are so many things up in the air for the next generation Jedi, and Darth Krayt.

I'm excited to read the Jag/Jaina short that's coming out, but I want more! I want commitment! I want another huge 15 book saga! Like I said I'm obviously gonna read Crucible, and I'm most likely gonna love it, but I don't want to hear a standalone book announcement, I want MORE!!!!

Tuscad
07.14.2012 , 12:22 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyShadman View Post
I actually have to disagree with you on this. I've been anxiously awaiting the announcement of a Post FoTJ book, wondering what is happening with Ben, Vestara, Jaina and Jag. Don't get me wrong, I love the big Three, but that's why I'm more excited for their new Comic series post Ep IV. They are getting very old, and Han and Leia's relationship is pretty secure. Meanwhile there are so many things up in the air for the next generation Jedi, and Darth Krayt.

I'm excited to read the Jag/Jaina short that's coming out, but I want more! I want commitment! I want another huge 15 book saga! Like I said I'm obviously gonna read Crucible, and I'm most likely gonna love it, but I don't want to hear a standalone book announcement, I want MORE!!!!
Well if it makes you feel any better, Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void was also announced, I just didn't say anything about it. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_..._Into_the_Void

DarthJopeous
07.14.2012 , 05:41 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyShadman View Post

Pretty much here, they screw up the FOTJ series. Vestara was a great character and deserved to be a regular character for EU in SW. She should have gotten Ben Skywalker.

Slowpokeking
07.14.2012 , 05:43 PM | #9
Another one? So Luke+Leia+Han fought whatever major threat never ends?

Tuscad
07.14.2012 , 06:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthJopeous View Post
Pretty much here, they screw up the FOTJ series. Vestara was a great character and deserved to be a regular character for EU in SW. She should have gotten Ben Skywalker.
I know,
Spoiler
they always screw up on the endings. This is similar to how LOTF would have been better had they imprisoned Caedus.