Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

In my opinion, Bioware and EA hit a home-run with this game.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
In my opinion, Bioware and EA hit a home-run with this game.

Rafaman
07.14.2012 , 01:45 AM | #21
Just this week I went back to another MMO to help a friend get some referral freebies. I didn't sign up, just set up an account and ran through a few levels etc. etc. And wow... what a difference. The voice acting, the content, and the graphics were all lacking. The mechanics weren't even up to par with TOR.

Seriously, I was stunned by how much I missed TOR and came running back with no intention of playing that other MMO again. What's interesting is that I have seen others return with the same type of comments.

So is it a home run? Well so far for me it is a solid triple and I'm rounding from third headed home.

Lheim
07.14.2012 , 02:24 AM | #22
Oh, the game's good - could've been greater, though! The VO is a unique element., the stories entertaining. The combat..? Well, MMO staple, but it works and looks fine.

It's simply too bad that the game launched with some amenities not in place that really hurt the user experience in the months after launch.

As for myself? I have criticisms of the basic design direction they took SWTOR In.. and frankly, I've come to the conclusion that the carrot/gear grind treadmill simply isn't for me, after burning out so spectacularly in WoW on the same mechanic. So.. really for my own best good that I just stop with this game.
Endgame gear grinds are not the way.

Ellvaan
07.14.2012 , 02:31 AM | #23
Greetings everyone!

We recently removed several posts from this thread for not being in compliance with our Rules of Conduct.

While we do welcome all feedback, both positive and negative, we ask that your feedback is constructive. For better understanding on helpful feedback, please refer to this thread by Allison Berryman.

As a reminder, please keep the following in mind when replying:
  1. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks
  2. Please stay on topic.
  3. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.
  4. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please report it instead of replying to it.
  5. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the report function to report their post.
  6. Please keep in mind that we may remove replies to posts that have been removed.

As a reminder, the thread's topic is regarding their opinion on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. We want your feedback, positive or negative! We just ask that feedback is constructive!

Thank you!

EduardoJN
07.14.2012 , 02:33 AM | #24
Yes, horray, i love this game too....yeah, way to go!

Because if i say i dont, my post gets deleted, so yeah, EA is the best, keep givin them money ppl!!!

Tyranux
07.14.2012 , 03:01 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Fardarter View Post
I don't buy the sick of mmos argument since many would argue SWTOR isn't really an MMO. SWTOR is the most linear mmo I have ever played and I have been playing them since 1996. Too many elements that make a game an MMO don't exist in swtor. The world is static, hell its always day-time and sunny out! Players leave no mark on the world whatsoever. Even WoW had events to open up content that got both factions of the entire server involved ending in real change to the game world. I say "even wow" because it is a themepark also. There are Zero sandbox elements to SWTOR, you need them to make the game world come alive.

I respect that people like the game and want to defend it but it is a fact that the "deathstar" happened during development and many things that should be in the game had to be scrapped. SWTOR is an unfinished product. In my opinion it needs YEARS to get to a good place the question is will enough people be willing to pay to get there?
Ok, no, WoW did not have events that changed the game world. All the events were preset and even if no faction did a damn thing, they would open up anyway. They first started with the opening of the AQ gates and some servers didn't even finish so they just opened anyway. The events weren't even that fun. Its was just doing the same thing over and over till Blizzard just opened whatever it was up.

I will say though, it is strange not to have a day/night cycle or weather but I'll manage.

Dibdabs
07.14.2012 , 03:22 AM | #26
It's an OK game in my opinion. The various worlds seem pretty much like screensavers, since they lack even a day and night cycle, some NPCs actually going about their daily business and not just standing there to talk to characters and finally some decent weather effects. The planets are pretty but non-immersive. Space combat is lamentably bad and after 10 or 12 missions in total I've just ignored it completely. XP is so easy to get I don't miss the space combat at all.

There's too much pointless criss-crossing of maps and buildings during the course of missions, too. For example, when you enter a building with four sectors to it and you have to deactivate three consoles you know they will each be in a separate sector and that when they've been done the last part of the mission will be in the fourth

The voice-acting is nice the first couple of times around but gets to be a real drag eventually and thereafter every conversation is reduced to brief syllables interspersed with tapping the spacebar. PLEASE give us the option of turning these off altogether and save a lot of time and irritation.

The game is holding my interest up to now, but I doubt I'll be playing it a year hence and suspect I might dump it a lot quicker than that. The game has no "stand out" qualities, essentially.

Zailou
07.14.2012 , 03:34 AM | #27
I also love this game so good job Bioware and keep it up!!,

Pathlight-
07.14.2012 , 03:40 AM | #28
I agree, this game is very good on all the points the op listed, however they need to start adding sandbox elements imo. I would love to feel as tough I lived in this world and not only play through it. If they added some good sandbox elements and meaningful owpvp, this game could keep a healthy community engaged for a very long time.

Space_Gimp
07.14.2012 , 03:48 AM | #29
Nah they got to second base. Couldn't steal third. The guy at the home struck out and bashed the umpire in the head with the bat.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." - Ghandi

nissanmaxima
07.14.2012 , 03:54 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Fardarter View Post
I don't buy the sick of mmos argument since many would argue SWTOR isn't really an MMO. SWTOR is the most linear mmo I have ever played and I have been playing them since 1996. Too many elements that make a game an MMO don't exist in swtor. The world is static, hell its always day-time and sunny out! Players leave no mark on the world whatsoever. Even WoW had events to open up content that got both factions of the entire server involved ending in real change to the game world. I say "even wow" because it is a themepark also. There are Zero sandbox elements to SWTOR, you need them to make the game world come alive.

I respect that people like the game and want to defend it but it is a fact that the "deathstar" happened during development and many things that should be in the game had to be scrapped. SWTOR is an unfinished product. In my opinion it needs YEARS to get to a good place the question is will enough people be willing to pay to get there?
^
What he said.
Functioning as intended...