Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Either reduce loot table or increase drops

Brodehouse
12.19.2011 , 10:13 AM | #11
Considering how every main class is directed to a specific stat, it seems trivial to teach the instance to only drop appropriate gear for the people running it. I'm sure hardcores would object but it makes sense to me.

Motivationman
12.19.2011 , 10:29 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Farabee View Post
The current random system is fine. Seeing as how there are really only 4 main types of classes in the game, you are far more likely to be able to use an item that drops than you would in, say, WoW. Especially with companions thrown into the mix.

My only complaints so far:

-Bosses need to drop loot for more slots. Right now it seems the majority of drops are helm, boots, pants, chest, weapons. Getting a moddable slot for belt and bracers is a serious pain. Also, I have yet to see a drop for earpiece/implant slots that wasn't a random trash drop.
-Every boss in a flashpoint needs to drop at least one blue. While this is the case for most flashpoints, BT/Eseless and Boarding Party have bosses who will not always drop a blue. This is kind of insulting.
-Multi-mob bosses use the "lootable chest" gimmick. This is fine, but right now it currently bugs out about half the time giving no loot...especially if you wipe once or twice. This needs to be fixed ASAP, because when people are farming hardmodes for loot you WILL get a huge uproar over this.

Other than those, the loot system in this game makes more sense and makes it easier to keep yourself in decent gear while leveling with less repetition of flashpoints than WoW ever did.
From a gear perspective there are more than 4 classes. Marauder loot and juggernaut loot are quite different for example.

Farabee
12.19.2011 , 10:46 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Motivationman View Post
From a gear perspective there are more than 4 classes. Marauder loot and juggernaut loot are quite different for example.
OK, forgot about the armor type difference between that class. That's really the only exception though, as all IA/smuggler ACs use medium, all BH/trooper use heavy, and SI/JC use light. So for all intents and purposes, there's 5 unique armor types.

Weapons, however, are kind of a clusterfunk. There are way too many types of weapons that are used by one AC. Some, like the sniper rifle and autocannon, are used by one AC of one faction. Now I'm not sure if companions can use them, but from what I've heard and seen its a big no on that as well. It's kind of like paladin/shaman loot drops in classic WoW, BW needs to ensure that the instance has a toggle NOT to drop those items for the faction that can't use them. Republic should never get sniper rifles, Empire should never get Autocannons.

As far as individual stats, most items I've seen drop from flashpoints are just legacy items with mods slotted in, which means you can easily swap out the mods to get the desired stats. The ones that will be a pain are going to be relics, implants, and earpieces. Even then there is a large amount of stat overlap, such that it isn't a huge deal leveling as an upgrade is usually an upgrade. This MAY be problematic at endgame though, when everyone is trying to min/max.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -Imperium proverb

BorrisTheBlade
12.19.2011 , 10:47 AM | #14
I'm fine with the loot system idea, but from my limited experience, it does not seem to be working as intended.

15 runs of a flashpoint and every loot from every boss is the same with 2 exclusions.
For Arhiss, it has three bosses. The first two drop one item each. The last boss drops two. That's 60 items total. 2 out of the 60 were sith warrior gear. The rest was bounty hunter.
First boss always dropped BH pants. Second dropped BH chest. Last dropped BH helm and a pistol. Every time.

I guess it can be horrible RNG or maybe Bioware tried to implement some intelligent loot system and it is not functioning correctly?

As far as not wanting people to look the same. Well I don't either, but this is an MMO. Until they allow gear customization, people looking the same is an inevitable result.

LordPancake
12.19.2011 , 10:52 AM | #15
Just throwing this out as well.

If you get a drop that has the right kind of stats on it, but it is the wrong gear (like a Marauder piece dropping with lots of str, but Jug dps) you can always snag it and rip the mods out of it and build a better piece of gear out of what you have already.

This is, of course, assuming you have orange gear already.

Same goes for Operatives (I have been gutting sniper rifles for upgrades).

Opens up a few more options with repeat drops, but doesnt help with class-specific stats (aim/cunning etc).
-Jon
Platus - Imperial Agent / Operative - Healer
Rusvul -lv21 Retired Jug Tank (for now).

IncognitoCat
12.19.2011 , 11:53 AM | #16
Just throwing this out there, but it is not really common in other MMOs I have played to be able to get "fully geared" from a low-mid-level instance without becoming entirely over-leveled. Personally I am OK with being able to snag a couple of items and move on to the next level zone or flashpoint. My 2 credits.
www.TOR-Loot.com
My latest project - Find the best Flashpoint and Operations gear for SWTOR characters with one click.

Pattypuppet
12.19.2011 , 12:10 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Motivationman View Post
That is another great idea
Good problem solving. I like it.

Another option is when you kill the boss everyone gets loot. Nothing I hated more than running dungeons many, many times and having nothing to show for it.

ComeAndSee
12.19.2011 , 12:59 PM | #18
Is it me or is the loot system intelligent? I only see items dropping that at least somebody in the group can use.

IncognitoCat
12.19.2011 , 01:32 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ComeAndSee View Post
Is it me or is the loot system intelligent? I only see items dropping that at least somebody in the group can use.
Not just you. There are a couple other threads discussing this as well, although I haven't seen any official info from Bioware.
www.TOR-Loot.com
My latest project - Find the best Flashpoint and Operations gear for SWTOR characters with one click.

BorrisTheBlade
12.20.2011 , 09:40 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by IncognitoCat View Post
Not just you. There are a couple other threads discussing this as well, although I haven't seen any official info from Bioware.
It seems like it tries to be intelligent, but it has failed horribly in my experience so far.