Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Confused about this game or the direction of MMOs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Confused about this game or the direction of MMOs

SajmanPeetee
07.13.2012 , 05:23 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by papaguyo View Post
In what game, did this Nirvana exist? Gear has always "replaced" "skill" in MMOs. It takes no skill to reach the highest levels of any MMOs, never has, all it takes is time.
Very much agreed.

There's no 'skill' in any MMO or atleast the PvE portions. You're playing against a set number of fixed variables. In order to be successful you need to learn fight mechanics and farm the necessary gear, both of these takes time but neither takes skill.

The only difference between EQ vs WoW vs Swtor is time. EQ it took months to years to reach max level, in WoW it took weeks, and in Swtor it takes 4 days.
Kyree - Sentinel Kayza - Sage Reyku - Assassin
The Fatman

Bandrashu
07.13.2012 , 06:01 AM | #12
It is a difficult question to answer.

To my experience there are 3 or 4 directions MMOs are headed nowadays.

There is the usual wow/swtor style ones. Good old things with levels, raids, instances etc.Then there are the ones with full loot and sandboxy environment (these are usually made by small companies and they are struggling for some funds, devs,players).

Then there are some new types of MMos with no levels and a lot of skills/ skill boxes to learn.

And the there are the good old grind a lot ones.

None of these are going to survive in my oppinion. For different reasons.

To design a successful and new gen MMO you would need large, open spaces, players to create everything from food, to weapons. These players or items should be dependant from each other, making all the professions needful.

Levels are not really needed. they are a kind of time sink anyways. A lot of peopleget bored while leveling and quite often these players do not even reach max level to test the so called end game content. I still think that the good old swg skill tree system is the best so far. So, something similar would be needed.

Player interaction is also very important in an mmo. You should be able to have your own houses, villages, towns, etc. With the possibility to decorate these cities with statues, fountains, gardens etc. Living and creating a village and growing it to a town can create communities and they are veryvery important in a game. Sometimes you only log in to have a chat with friends and not for going on a raid.

The crafters should also be very important. I mean their skills and dedication. Spending more time with crafting and using the best materials available should have an effect on the produced item. These reciőpe crafting systems are not that interesting. You need to get a few things and then everybody crafts the same stuff. Why? There should be a way to improve/experiment things to make them better. Crafting should be something like a mini-game instead of dropping things from the inventory into a magic things and click the produce button and then take the stuff out of the box.

merchants/trade should also play an important role. There should be trade routes, caravans, local vendors, markets around the world. If you have a map some parts should be rich in something but very very poor in a different material. this way you would be forced to trade. It should, of course, be very well thought to avoid exploits or other issues.

Pvp. World pvp is very important. You need to give a reason, a goal for the players to go pvp. They should be able to capture, control areas. They could also tax ppl in the are they control. But for the tax, they should also have to protect their markets/trade routes etc.

Sandbox. Players should be able to create quests/missions for others. These games should only have some basic rules and the rest of everything should depend on the players.

These things I have mentioned here are not new. tehy have been around for a while but for some reason all the big companies think that they will take a working recipe instead of investing in something new. But they forget one things. most of the people are a bit bored with the same type games. Its just the costume that changes and everything else is the same.

Players. They should grow up a bit. They want everything and they want it now. We should re-learn or re-experience the joys of getting something that is really unique. Most of them want to travel from a to b in a second, would find a group without doing anything for it but clicking a button. I find that pretty boring.

One last thing. A new toon in a world shouldnt be too much weaker than an old one. experience and the player skill are the things that should matter.

These are my thoughts on this subject.

Caan
07.13.2012 , 06:05 AM | #13
The main thing that has happened with MMO's is that people do stuff to progress instead of having fun. Sure it can be fun to progress and manage a Hardmode Raid but the fun social aspect of MMO's died with WOW.

Very few see the point of doing massive PVP battles as it doesn't give you anything, you don't run a Flashpoint for the 5th time because it's fun, you do it because it drops those legs you want.
You hardly have any faction contested mobs as the game don't want us to PVP. The only fun area while levelling is the Czerka cave on Tatooine.
You can't go out and kill Jawas for a week so the sand people start liking you and wants to trade and you cant kill sand people for a week so the Jawas will trade. People call this grinding but I say it's more fun and less grindy as it actually changes the world you play in then doing dailies and flashpoints.
They could have had so much going for them and have level 50's spread across all planets after Dromund Kaas and Coruscant which would also generate tension and pvp and everyone could have their own set purpose in the world.
Gear grind ruins mmo's nothing more nothing less.

HarleysRule
07.13.2012 , 06:23 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by StreakerDroid View Post
I have never played an MMO where I have managed to play to level 20 solo without a problem.
Really? I've been playing MMOs for over 10 years and I've soloed in all of them and hardly ever die. Maybe what you say is true if you're playing Korean grinders, but I don't find leveling solo in this game any easier or harder than any other Western MMO.

macumba
07.13.2012 , 06:27 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Caan View Post
the game don't want us to PVP. The only fun area while levelling is the Czerka cave on Tatooine.
I totally agree here and I find tatooine is the only planet where this is done right. all other planets where opposing factions aren't led to another are flawed by design.
Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

KeepMe
07.13.2012 , 06:40 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by StreakerDroid View Post
I knew the responses would label me asa hater, no worries forget my post, i wont be reading this again, I love this game, never mind.
Well.... if you can't take the heat, don't start the fire.

BobaTed
07.13.2012 , 06:59 AM | #17
The OP is right in that there's no point in teaming if you want to follow the storyline content and still have reasonably challenging gameplay. The team content (FPs, PvP, etc.) feels peripheral and, if you're doing it to level up, can feel even more repetitive than the PvE content.

Unfortunately, I've only seen one MMO that supports teaming while running "mainline" leveling content, but it relies heavily on instances and procedurally generated maps to do so - neither of which is exactly a player favorite. I haven't seen anyone successfully create "open world" content that supports teaming without making things nearly impossible for solo players.

Valkirus
07.13.2012 , 07:27 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by HarleysRule View Post
Really? I've been playing MMOs for over 10 years and I've soloed in all of them and hardly ever die. Maybe what you say is true if you're playing Korean grinders, but I don't find leveling solo in this game any easier or harder than any other Western MMO.
It is very easy to solo all the way to level 50 in TOR and do the main char story line quests to the end. I did and if I can, anyone can. However, in Vanilla days of WoW, you could not solo the class quests. Some steps, yeah. But not the whole quest line to the end.
Trust is something which is earned.

Dejoule
07.13.2012 , 08:00 AM | #19
My only question is this... do you whisper people before you invite them, or do you just blind invite. A lot of people, me included, reject blind invites. I find it rude that you don't even feel it's worth the effort to speak to me to ask if I would like to group with you.
To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.
Explorer: 73% | Killer: 47% | Socializer: 40% | Achiever: 40%
Officer of Dark Fury. An Imperial Guild focusing on Operations and PVP on Jedi Covenant.

Arlbo_Nabbins
07.13.2012 , 08:09 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by papaguyo View Post
What is the Senate? And Ironforge was/is a place I avoided like the plague because it was horrible. It was nothing more than a lag fest full of juvenile banter. Other then engaging in juvenile babbling in chat and housekeeping activities (AH, bank, etc) there wasn’t anything to do there.
And for juvenile babbling and housekeeping we have Fleet.

But as far as grouping goes I have done much more recently while levelling in the form of the Heroics. My Gunslinger has done Trouble in Deed, the Face Merchants, Enemies of the Republic and Fall of the Locust so far which is about as many in 19 levels as my toon levelled on the old low pop server did all the way to 50.

But yes I don't accept blind invites.