Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No pod is worth two slaves, so one pod is worth 1 slave, so why not free Shmi ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
No pod is worth two slaves, so one pod is worth 1 slave, so why not free Shmi ?

coltess
07.12.2012 , 06:18 PM | #1
Ok, So Watto said no pod is worth two slaves, so Qui-Gon gambled the pod for Anakin and won. Well, that means Qui-Gon still owned Anakin's pod, we see this later when Anakin tells Shmi they sold it. Here is what I don't get, Qui-Gon got the parts they needed for free, so what happened to the money from the pod? Lining the Jedi's pockets? Why didn't he use it to free Shmi?
I don't like guilds. I once expressed why in my signature, however it was removed and I received a very polite letter asking me to change my mind. I still do not like guilds, however, I'm not allowed to express myself any further than saying that.

Eillack
07.12.2012 , 06:32 PM | #2
Umm

It was obvious that Watto didn't want to lose more after pretty much losing 95% of his business and a ton of creds. Also in deleted scenes there is a sequence of Anakin giving money away to some of the locals he was close to and saying his 'goodbyes' to them. He also gave most to his mother.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Wolfninjajedi
07.12.2012 , 06:37 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
Umm

It was obvious that Watto didn't want to lose more after pretty much losing 95% of his business and a ton of creds. Also in deleted scenes there is a sequence of Anakin giving money away to some of the locals he was close to and saying his 'goodbyes' to them. He also gave most to his mother.
^ This. Besides I doubt that the pod sold for the price of a slave. Custom built stuff usually doesn't sell very high.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Forgon
07.12.2012 , 07:20 PM | #4
Watto would have been a sore loser and charge exuberantly for her worth anyway. Its in his character, considering how vile and greedy he is.
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.

jarjarloves
07.12.2012 , 08:35 PM | #5
the real question is why didn't they come back to free her AFTER the battle of Naboo? You would think Padme owed Anakin that much after he saved them several times.

jarjarloves
07.12.2012 , 08:36 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
^ This. Besides I doubt that the pod sold for the price of a slave. Custom built stuff usually doesn't sell very high.
it did win the Boonta Eve race and was the fastest pod built.

Wolfninjajedi
07.12.2012 , 08:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
it did win the Boonta Eve race and was the fastest pod built.
Even so, spending an enormous amount on a pod racer just seems ridiculous anyway no matter how well crafted it is or what it won. Besides its also a backwater planet they are on, really only the Hutts would have boat loads of credits whereas everyone else would need to watch how much they spent. Its not like a merchant would shell out 50k just to buy it.

jarjarloves
07.12.2012 , 08:46 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Even so, spending an enormous amount on a pod racer just seems ridiculous anyway no matter how well crafted it is or what it won.
i guess it all depends on what the actual value of a pod is. Since they never said how much it is we will never know. All we do know is that its about equal to one slave.

but more importanlty it's mesed up that No one decided to go back and buy his mom.

Wolfninjajedi
07.12.2012 , 08:48 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
i guess it all depends on what the actual value of a pod is. Since they never said how much it is we will never know. All we do know is that its about equal to one slave.

but more importanlty it's mesed up that No one decided to go back and buy his mom.
True but no one would willingly want to buy a pod that would be worth a slave. Well...maybe a Hutt, but a Hutt didn't buy it it was Sebulba.

jarjarloves
07.12.2012 , 11:03 PM | #10
I bet some of those podracers who's pod blew up would buy it for that much.