Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How does Bioware decide which class needs nerfed

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How does Bioware decide which class needs nerfed

cool-dude
07.11.2012 , 05:07 PM | #1
Hopefully someone from Bioware will jump in and answer this question, but would be happy to hear from someone who knows. Do they nerf based on player feedback, or do they nerf based on their own calculations and judgements?

I'm just interested in knowing.

Thanks!
"Sarcasm is strong in this one"

Neamhan
07.11.2012 , 05:10 PM | #2
They use their 'metrics', which tend to not take things like 'actual game play' or 'fun' into account.

FourTwent
07.11.2012 , 05:11 PM | #3
they will probably 'look' at testing numbers in more detail from player feedback, but they dont not balance the game on said feedback.

they have internal metrics that measure the performance of the classes and do balances based on those numbers and their idea for how well(or poor) those classes perform in general(not specifically a warzone and not specifically a flashpoint).

Denyus
07.11.2012 , 05:11 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Neamhan View Post
They use their 'metrics', which tend to not take things like 'actual game play' or 'fun' into account.
What he said, add crybabys whining enogh untill they get what they want al'a WoW!
Captain Vincenth McKinley <Mutiny>
Tomb of Freedon Nadd - EU

DenitharPurloin
07.11.2012 , 05:12 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by cool-dude View Post
Hopefully someone from Bioware will jump in and answer this question, but would be happy to hear from someone who knows. Do they nerf based on player feedback, or do they nerf based on their own calculations and judgements?

Thanks!
I e-mail them a list of your preferred classes to play at the moment and...voila!

ZudetGambeous
07.11.2012 , 05:33 PM | #6
well Georg Zeller's main philosophy was...

is it an operative? if yes... NERF IT!!!

is it a marauder.. if yes... BUFF IT!!!

make random non-sensical changes to other classes for good measure.

Now that he is gone we will have to wait and see what they do for future balance changes.
I tell you this: though neither he nor they yet know it, he is the greatest of all the Jedi. Jacen Solo is the living Jedi dream. Even without the Force, he is more dangerous than you can possibly imagine."

Denki_
07.11.2012 , 05:48 PM | #7
A mix of metrics (Healer nerfs and Melee buffs) and community feedback (Operative/Scoundrel nerfs).

Also, one man's meat is another man's poison. I don't understand why a lot of people don't understand that.
Denki
Alpha Empire Sith Sorcerer The Bastion

"What's the matter, afraid of a little lightning?"

SWJon
07.11.2012 , 07:29 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ZudetGambeous View Post
well Georg Zeller's main philosophy was...

is it an operative? if yes... NERF IT!!!

is it a marauder.. if yes... BUFF IT!!!
Guess we know who played the operative. The DPS classes had zero survivability. Not sure about the operatives, but all I knew was DPS was extraordinarily difficult for me pre- "buff".
Mavet
Guildmaster, Network Imperium
Anchorhead server

oakamp
07.11.2012 , 07:39 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by cool-dude View Post

Thanks!
did they ever told u b4 they going to do?
No,
just like old pvp comms,
they just change it by their will and dont care about ur opinion.
English is not my first language, still working on it.

Tuscad
07.11.2012 , 07:46 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Neamhan View Post
Does their metrics involve flipping a coin?
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade