Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reverse Engineer 20% Broken

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Reverse Engineer 20% Broken

Liokae
07.10.2012 , 09:20 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by DropbearSW View Post
yes.. i know basic probability theory.. still says that in a large sample, 1 in 5 should pop.
Yes. What you're failing to understand is that, in terms of probability, your entire crewskill production from launch until this moment isn't a 'large sample'.

pjskull
07.10.2012 , 09:35 PM | #12
RNG is R

RicoFrost
07.10.2012 , 10:09 PM | #13
Its random... that is all.... move along....
Intel i7 2700K (@4.8Ghz) - 8GB Corsair - Windows 8.1-64Bit - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Corsair Force 3 SSD 128GB
Gigabyte GTX780 OC - Benq 120hz LED Monitor

My Custom UI - http://www.swtorui.com/downloads/info81-XpellUI.html

Talimar
07.10.2012 , 10:17 PM | #14
Let me say nicely what the other insensitve people are saying.

It's random, and yeah, it feels like it's broken, but really it isn't. The other night I RE'd the same thing 34 times before it popped, then I RE'd something else and it popped immediately.

It sucks sometimes, but it's not broken.

I feel your pain.
"We're merging you with US servers. Your gameplay experience will be abysmal, but you'll have higher populations!"
"But we play at entirely different times."
"Doesn't matter. Our metrics will show higher populations."

Superpasta
07.10.2012 , 10:44 PM | #15
Let put it the other way, you don't get 20% chance of each try to success.

You are getting 80% chance of each try to fail.

So instead of 20% x 5 = 100% success in RE. You are facing 80% x 5 = 400% FAIL!!! in RE.

Does it make you feel you were actually very very luck to sucess in only 1 out of 10 attempts now???

DaMathGeek
07.10.2012 , 10:55 PM | #16
I'd say you have about a 10% chance of not getting a new schematic after 10 tries on a single item.

Proof is left as an exercise for the reader.

Morrolan
07.10.2012 , 11:02 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Liokae View Post
Yes. What you're failing to understand is that, in terms of probability, your entire crewskill production from launch until this moment isn't a 'large sample'.
Actually in statistical terms it would be, assuming he REs regularly, representative samples can seem quite small.
[harbinger]
Alieraxx - Sentinel / Morroian - Shadow / Sereorin - Slinger
Miranda-Zero - Operative / Whiskey-jackxx - Powertech

RCtruckRacer
07.10.2012 , 11:04 PM | #18
There are no true random numbers when it comes to computers. Computers use an algorithm and a seed number (often the CPU clock) to generate a seemingly random number. Technically, they are pseudo-random numbers.

If anyone didn't know, the RE was bonked when the game first came out. I suspect that it is still off a bit. Though, it is MUCH better than it was. I sure am curious as to what algorithm and seed they are using.
Raze Dakhan

Liokae
07.10.2012 , 11:21 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by RCtruckRacer View Post
There are no true random numbers when it comes to computers. Computers use an algorithm and a seed number (often the CPU clock) to generate a seemingly random number. Technically, they are pseudo-random numbers.
Sure, but if you want to break it down that far, we have no method of generating actual random numbers at all. The closest we've got is a place that uses multi-step randomizing based off precision atmospheric measurements, but even that would be deterministic with enough knowledge. Algorithm + unpredictable seed gives you 'functionally random', which is plenty close enough to truly random for the purposes of measurement.

UltimateLemon
07.10.2012 , 11:33 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Superpasta View Post
Let put it the other way, you don't get 20% chance of each try to success.

You are getting 80% chance of each try to fail.

So instead of 20% x 5 = 100% success in RE. You are facing 80% x 5 = 400% FAIL!!! in RE.

Does it make you feel you were actually very very luck to sucess in only 1 out of 10 attempts now???
That's still not true. In order for 5 tries of 20% to beome 100%, you have to eliminate tried choice.

For example, let's say there are 5 numbers; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. You have 20% probability of picking 5. If I pick 2 then I'm within the 80% failure bracket. If I put 2 back to the mix, I still have 20% probability of picking 5. If I remove 2, then I have 25% chance of picking 5.

In this case, we are putting the 2 back into the mix. So you will ALWAYS have 20% chance of picking 5. In theory if I pick enough times, I SHOULD have 20% success rate. However, this isn't really guaranteed. Refer to Law of large numbers.