Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reverse Engineer 20% Broken

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Reverse Engineer 20% Broken

DropbearSW
07.10.2012 , 07:24 PM | #1
The tool tips say the chance to successfully reverse engineer a green item as being 20%. This is clearly rubbish. I've produced MANY MANY more greens than needed for a 1 in 5 hit rate.

I'm not sure if it's the SWTOR random number generator that's broken, or if the tool tip is wrong. Either way it should be fixed..

(and yes I know, 20% chance doesn't guarentee a 1 in 5 hit, but it should average out to that over time - and clearly, in this game it doesn't).

Sunseeker
07.10.2012 , 07:28 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DropbearSW View Post
The tool tips say the chance to successfully reverse engineer a green item as being 20%. This is clearly rubbish. I've produced MANY MANY more greens than needed for a 1 in 5 hit rate.

I'm not sure if it's the SWTOR random number generator that's broken, or if the tool tip is wrong. Either way it should be fixed..

(and yes I know, 20% chance doesn't guarentee a 1 in 5 hit, but it should average out to that over time - and clearly, in this game it doesn't).
No, it shouldn't. 1/5 and 20% are two different things, and the number of times you'd actually have to make the roll in order to see if it's 20% or not is huge(at least a thousand), beyond that, computers aren't truly random.
I'm tired. I'm a grump. I have an attitude and a short fuse. So really, try me.

Lord_of_Mu
07.10.2012 , 07:40 PM | #3

Each item has a 20% chance to teach you something new but also an 80% chance to do nothing at all. Every time you reverse engineer, you roll the dice again with the same odds.

UltimateLemon
07.10.2012 , 07:48 PM | #4

Just means you weren't very lucky. I remember a night when I've managed to get successful RE about 8 times out of 10 for Cybertech.

Good times. Good times....

DropbearSW
07.10.2012 , 07:58 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
Each item has a 20% chance to teach you something new but also an 80% chance to do nothing at all. Every time you reverse engineer, you roll the dice again with the same odds.
yes.. i know basic probability theory.. still says that in a large sample, 1 in 5 should pop.

Kunda
07.10.2012 , 08:19 PM | #6
yes.. i know basic probability theory.. still says that in a large sample, 1 in 5 should pop.
No, that isn't how it works. You clearly aren't understanding "basic probability theory".

UltimateLemon
07.10.2012 , 08:30 PM | #7
You are talking about Law of Large Numbers. The caveat is that the sample size must be big enough for it to be applicable. It's also not a certainty either.

So in effect, I stole all your crits.

Stoicraven
07.10.2012 , 08:33 PM | #8
it's not rubbish, you clearly do not know what you're doing

DropbearSW
07.10.2012 , 08:39 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoicraven View Post
it's not rubbish, you clearly do not know what you're doing
yes, cause it's easy to stuff up reverse engineering.. takes great skill.

Arlbo_Nabbins
07.10.2012 , 09:06 PM | #10

Averages out for me. Was doing a lot of crafting on my new Gunslinger, 1 was the smallest number and 9 was the largest and it was definitely averaging at about 5 reverses.