Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Launcher won't open

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Mrbyrem
07.10.2012 , 05:02 PM | #1
So I try to run my launcher and it just won't open. The launcher.exe opens in task manager for awhile before disappearing with the launcher not even showing up. I've tried re-installing the launcher but all that does is get the launcher to appear with a red bar above the Log in area that says "The launcher is being updated, please wait" but there is no download bar at the bottom and eventually the launcher just closes itself without fixing anything. I've tried running the game as an admin, I've tried running the fixer normally and as an admin on that as well. I've tried restarting my computer but that didn't fix anything either. I would try and delete my patch folder to fix it but I don't even have a patch folder so I can't delete what I don't have.

Mrbyrem
07.10.2012 , 05:33 PM | #2
bumpppppp

Beesodd
07.10.2012 , 06:10 PM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Mrbyrem,

Can you please navigate to the game folder, and check if there is a folder there named launcher.exe.update. If so, please delete it and attempt to run the launcher again.

If this does not help, another player has posted a fix here which we has had some positive reports: http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...83&postcount=9

I hope this helps.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

DarthValorous
07.10.2012 , 06:15 PM | #4
Im having the same problem your not alone, i uninstalled and reinstalled work but when i logged off it happened again
Darth Scourge
Sith
Watching you bleed makes me smile

Mrbyrem
07.10.2012 , 06:48 PM | #5
I looked and couldn't find any launcher.exe.update so I looked at the other thread you provided the link for. I looked in the sysWOW64 folder for the launcher that was said to be there and found it. However neither that post or yours was clear on what I was suppose to do with it so I just took that launcher from there and moved it to the default game directory before trying to run it. It changed nothing and my problem is the same. I probably should have done everything that the user said he did in his post in hind sight but there weren't any clear instructions so I wasn't sure.

Spideycloned
07.10.2012 , 06:55 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Mrbyrem View Post
I looked and couldn't find any launcher.exe.update so I looked at the other thread you provided the link for. I looked in the sysWOW64 folder for the launcher that was said to be there and found it. However neither that post or yours was clear on what I was suppose to do with it so I just took that launcher from there and moved it to the default game directory before trying to run it. It changed nothing and my problem is the same. I probably should have done everything that the user said he did in his post in hind sight but there weren't any clear instructions so I wasn't sure.
Run the launcher in the syswow64 folder, then copy all files that were modified at that moment into your normal install directory. His instructions were pretty clear in that regard.
Proud CE Pre-Order.

Mrbyrem
07.10.2012 , 07:11 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Spideycloned View Post
Run the launcher in the syswow64 folder, then copy all files that were modified at that moment into your normal install directory. His instructions were pretty clear in that regard.
Hard to do when my syswow64 folder is filled with so much stuff that isn't in folders that I can't even tell what, if anything, it creates. I ran the launcher in that folder and nothing changed. It still does the same thing. The process comes up, runs for a bit, then just goes away with no sign of the launcher.

Tofof
07.10.2012 , 07:14 PM | #8
I'm still lurking these but I'm not going to spell it out in more detail. I'd like to help you, really, but if you can't sort by modified date (..several ways to do this) then you really shouldn't muck about with syswow64. It's a critical windows directory and you could actually break things by mucking with it.

All the MORE reason for my rant about why programs aren't supposed to be run in admin mode that I posted shortly after discovering the problem and solution.

Mrbyrem
07.10.2012 , 07:19 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tofof View Post
I'm still lurking these but I'm not going to spell it out in more detail. I'd like to help you, really, but if you can't sort by modified date (..several ways to do this) then you really shouldn't muck about with syswow64. It's a critical windows directory and you could actually break things by mucking with it.

All the MORE reason for my rant about why programs aren't supposed to be run in admin mode that I posted shortly after discovering the problem and solution.
Yeah, I just had an idiot moment and moved the launcher out of that folder and into my swtor default directory before running it so your fix probably would have worked for me if I didn't move it out of there first. I'll probably end up having to uninstall the game entirely to actually get it to work.

Mrbyrem
07.10.2012 , 07:26 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Tofof View Post

Just understood what you meant by the date modified thing, even when I run the launcher in that folder it doesn't create any new files in there so yeah.