Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Suggestion Box: Allow GF groups to manually invite replacements

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Suggestion Box: Allow GF groups to manually invite replacements

Sylin
07.10.2012 , 12:24 PM | #1
From today's patch notes: Players now receive an error when attempting to invite players manually as replacements for a Group Finder group.

It would be nice to have this as an option, tho. For example, if our random GF tank has to leave the group, but I have a friend or guildie who can come in and tank, it should be possible for us to invite them and they get "ported" into the FP to help us finish.

We've had a couple times now where a group member has to leave or gets DC'd, and their replacement (via the GF) is just NOT prepared for the content (Lost Island comes to mind), resulting in a failed group and wasted time.

Just my $0.02.
[ [ [ S Y L I N ] ] ]
‎"I'm programmed to understand over 100 languages and dialects,
and in not one is the phrase "on fire" positive when referring to a person!"

Aurojiin
07.10.2012 , 01:52 PM | #2
Oh look, our fourth guildie has come online.

/votekick

/invite

DiLune
07.10.2012 , 01:56 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post

/votekick

/invite
Now how is that possible? That would never happen, would it?

KiranK
07.10.2012 , 04:25 PM | #4

/votekick

/invite
So? We can just leave the group and do that anyways. You aren't saving anyone. Allowing manual replacements is a must, especially if the tank leaves. You can sit in a half finished instance for over an hour waiting for a new tank, while your guild mate queues and ends up in a different group. That makes absolutely no sense. Allow us to manually fill.
There's no QQing in baseball.

Mavery
07.10.2012 , 05:06 PM | #5

/votekick

/invite
This is exactly why we can't have manual replacements. It will be far too easy for guilds to grief others.

KiranK
07.10.2012 , 05:42 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Mavery View Post
This is exactly why we can't have manual replacements. It will be far too easy for guilds to grief others.
We can already grief others. 3 ppl queue. 3 ppl leave group, invite a fourth, requeue. Same thing, 1 person got screwed. Manual replacements is a MUST.
There's no QQing in baseball.

Sylin
07.10.2012 , 06:54 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by KiranK View Post
We can already grief others. 3 ppl queue. 3 ppl leave group, invite a fourth, requeue. Same thing, 1 person got screwed. Manual replacements is a MUST.
THIS.

I hear what the other people are saying, but KiranK's logic is sound. The only potential drawback is time lost starting over. Since you can already votekick someone and get a replacement via the queue, it just makes sense that the game would allow you to invite a replacement.

This is especially important if say, your DPS is weak and you're doing a place like LI, or an Operation. Being able to cherry-pick a replacement instead of rolling the dice with group finder and hoping the next person is up to scratch seems like a no-brainer.
[ [ [ S Y L I N ] ] ]
‎"I'm programmed to understand over 100 languages and dialects,
and in not one is the phrase "on fire" positive when referring to a person!"

Aurojiin
07.10.2012 , 07:37 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sylin View Post
I hear what the other people are saying, but KiranK's logic is sound. The only potential drawback is time lost starting over. Since you can already votekick someone and get a replacement via the queue, it just makes sense that the game would allow you to invite a replacement.
That's the thing, though. You probably aren't going to kick someone to bring in your friend/guildmate who just signed on if it means breaking the group, getting auto-ejected from the instance, reforming, etc, etc...

Being able to manually invite makes it ridiculously easy to grief others that way. To me, that outweighs the convenience of manual invites. /shrug

Eternalnight
07.11.2012 , 06:53 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sylin View Post
but KiranK's logic is sound
No it is not!

Quote: Originally Posted by KiranK View Post
We can already grief others. 3 ppl queue. 3 ppl leave group, invite a fourth, requeue. Same thing
/facepalm

They are not the same thing, and nobody is going to do what you suggest just to do another FP.

Doing that if you were near the end of a FP would mean that they would have to start over from the beginning in another one and do the whole thing all over again.

But if you were allowed to kick someone when you are right in front of the last boss and then invite a specific person as a replacement, that is a completely different thing.

Nolenthar
07.11.2012 , 07:31 AM | #10

/votekick

/invite
I get your point, yes, but I disagree.

First of all you can easily circumvent the risks. For instance, don't allow to invite someone after a votekick, but allow that after a disconnect for instance. Votekick : deliberate decision. Disconnection : bad luck. You would already limit the possibility of such thing to happen.
Kao'celaar Ildorii, Juyo Master, Mystical Awakening