Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Character Transfer, Server Populations, and You (Part II)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer, Server Populations, and You (Part II)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ipea's Avatar


Ipea
07.14.2012 , 06:20 AM | #371
I just want to play my toons on a server i want...not be made to play on server server that is filled to the rafters with people i dont know....

JunkyardWolf's Avatar


JunkyardWolf
07.14.2012 , 10:29 AM | #372
So im going to lose 9 charactors. that sucks bilge water. I have 17 charactors on 5 servers that are on the "free transfer" list,but all of them are set to go to the same server, So i assume after my 8 slots are full the rest go bye bye. Why am i not able to have a couple choices of servers to transfer too? and that ones always "very Heavy " or "full". I dont want to stand around with 10 other people waiting on the same 6 or 7 crates we need for a mission because they only respawn every 5 min or so.
proud to be a Cranky ole fart!

DredSithis's Avatar


DredSithis
07.14.2012 , 10:37 AM | #373
Quote: Originally Posted by JunkyardWolf View Post
So im going to lose 9 charactors. that sucks bilge water. I have 17 charactors on 5 servers that are on the "free transfer" list,but all of them are set to go to the same server, So i assume after my 8 slots are full the rest go bye bye. Why am i not able to have a couple choices of servers to transfer too? and that ones always "very Heavy " or "full". I dont want to stand around with 10 other people waiting on the same 6 or 7 crates we need for a mission because they only respawn every 5 min or so.
5mins? Ive never seen it take that long 30sec to a min and a half. respawns in WoW did on the other hand take every bit if not longer than 5mins

JunkyardWolf's Avatar


JunkyardWolf
07.14.2012 , 10:44 AM | #374
Really,try the Black Hole. besides my main issue is why i am only allowed 1 server to transfer to? that sucks!
and what happens to the ones that dont fit? flushed down the toilet like a dead Gold Fish?

Namadii Corridor to The Harbinger 4 characters The Jekk'Jekk Tarr to The Harbinger 1 character Vornskr to The Harbinger 2 characters Zaalbar to The Harbinger 2 characters Krath to The Harbinger 7 characters Space Slug to The Harbinger 3 characters Kaiburr Crystal to The Harbinger 1 character Wall of Light to The Harbinger 2 characters
proud to be a Cranky ole fart!

Parali's Avatar


Parali
07.14.2012 , 10:51 AM | #375
Greetings,

Since players are still concerned about the fate of their characters, we thought we'd remind everyone of Online Community Manager Joveth Gonzalez' post about character transfers:


Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi folks,

Just wanted to hop on here to let you all know that at no point will we be deleting your characters later this summer when we automatically move any remaining characters from origin servers onto designated destination servers. More details about how this will work out will be forthcoming, but I can assure you that automatic character deletion is not going to happen for this upcoming move.

Thanks everyone!


We hope this helps. Thank you!

Ipea's Avatar


Ipea
07.14.2012 , 10:54 AM | #376
Quote: Originally Posted by Parali View Post
Greetings,

Since players are still concerned about the fate of their characters, we thought we'd remind everyone of Online Community Manager Joveth Gonzalez' post about character transfers:




We hope this helps. Thank you!

[/color]
Based on 75% of everything else that comes out of the BW officer its most likely ******** and said just keep people paying

Jonoku's Avatar


Jonoku
07.14.2012 , 11:30 AM | #377
Quote: Originally Posted by Ipea View Post
Based on 75% of everything else that comes out of the BW officer its most likely ******** and said just keep people paying
Proven by the lies I've been given.

Modredus's Avatar


Modredus
07.14.2012 , 11:35 AM | #378
So, to recap what we have been talking about here is simply: Choice!

The players’, or better word, the Subscribers’ ability to choose their own game play in SWTOR.

It seems quite obvious that the people who continue to remain on the light, better word, “Locked” realms chose to be on those realms while they were available from SWTOR and BW. This isn’t a case where we joined the over populated realms first, then decided we didn’t like that game play style and proceeded to demand new servers “just for us snowflakes”! We were on those servers from the very start, when those servers were “allowed” by BW and SWTOR!

Now, BW has decided they are going to be the ones who make those choices for us! The individual subscriber’s desire and choices mean nothing in this game now?

This game is a very nice game to play! I play on my Locked server because that is where I WISH to play! I CHOOSE to play on that server because it isn’t over populated!

Every single day in Real Life all of us have to put up with the problems that come with life. It is simply a matter of Life! I cannot speak for everyone, but the comments here seem to agree with me when I say that I play this game to have fun and relax and try to vent off the frustrations that come with dealing with the events of everyday real life. I, and I assume most others do too, play to enjoy the game, not to just change one frustration filled environment with another one! And to have to PAY someone else for those frustrations? I seriously doubt that!

My family and I left “That game who must not be mentioned”, because of exactly this same condition. The servers were over-crowded, the game play became virtually impossible, too many other players to compete with for the same resources, solo players had very little chance to play successfully without tremendous competition.

As for those of you who like to “remind” us that this is a MMR game, the MM may mean “Massively”, but show me where in the description does that “Massively” mean that everyone has to be on the same server? Come on, I dare you to!

I have seen a lot of comments about the forced name changes. Seems most people do not wish to have their names changed. Hey, it is your name, you picked it, and you should have every right not to have to change it unless you CHOOSE to! Again, that word: Choose, choice, whatever!

What exactly is a name? It is that by which a person identifies them self. You have to see that there aren’t many other things in life which have such an impact on the individual as their name. How many people here are themselves, or know of someone, who has a name in their real life which, quite frankly, they hate? Blame your parents all you want for giving you a name you cannot tolerate, but the bottom line is that you are stuck with it! I know quite a few people who fall into that category. And they CHOOSE not to use that name, but use a different version of their real name, maybe the middle one.

So, to all of those who say that the players’ choices of names is irrelevant, meaningless, I say Bunk! Your name defines you, tells everyone who and what you are! It IS you! If the player chooses, wow, there goes that word again, to change their name(s) to accommodate BW’s desire to have larger profits, then so be it. But that is THEIR choice and let them live with it. My name is me and I will be the ONLY person who decides if I wish to change it or not!

The bottom line as I see it is this. We, those who remain on those locked out servers, started this game on those servers because that is how we wished to play this game, for which we PAY for that ability! Now, for whatever reason BW wishes to admit to, we are being presented with the facts that we are not going to be allowed to continue to play this game the way we originally wanted to play.

This game belongs to Bioware, not us, so BW can make all the choices they wish, and they are doing exactly that!
All we are asking for is the recognition that BW started something with this game and its many servers. Maybe BW was expecting a lot more subscriptions than actually happened, evidence the many light servers. So, since BW isn’t getting the profits they originally expected, they are crowding everyone onto just a handful or servers, which reduces cost and improves profit!

I am not going to say, at this time, if I will cancel my subscription or not. I just don’t know right now, time will tell. But I can say this, with certainty, IF I am forced to move onto an overpopulated realm not of my choosing, IF I am forced to change the names of my characters and my legacy, IF my choices mean absolutely nothing to BW and BW doesn’t live up to their part of this agreement of subscriber to provider, then I seriously doubt I will continue to enjoy playing this game as I have so far.

At least with Skyrim, I can solo to my heart’s content, and save some money every month. I only have to worry about taking an arrow in my knee. I will miss the option to team with my son and his wife on their characters as we can when we wish to here on SWTOR. But then they will not be here either!

Lastly, those who went to the overpopulated servers to start with did so by their choice. It was what THEY wanted! That is fine and I wish each of them great success, truly.

I didn’t and I won’t, not by choice.

And that choice will ALWAYS ultimately be mine to make! Not BW’s!

*************************

Oh, I see BW has just posted a friendly reminder that they will not be deleting any of the player’s characters when the forced moved takes place? Going to be very interesting to see how they plan to accomplish that with only 8 slots per realm! Good Luck!

That still doesn’t change the fact that BW is making all the choices and the Subscribers aren’t! Well, not yet, wait until the subscriptions are up for renewal and see if choice changes get made!

Jonoku's Avatar


Jonoku
07.14.2012 , 12:01 PM | #379
Quote: Originally Posted by Modredus View Post
As for those of you who like to “remind” us that this is a MMR game, the MM may mean “Massively”, but show me where in the description does that “Massively” mean that everyone has to be on the same server? Come on, I dare you to!
First off I just want to say I don't understand why you pay to play if your more of a solo player. I wouldn't if I were you but whateva. Bioware is obviously struggling, they have like what a month left to address EVERY SINGLE ISSUE.

G_Rett's Avatar


G_Rett
07.14.2012 , 12:26 PM | #380
Quote: Originally Posted by MadBlue View Post
Nobody wanted to change their character names, and the majority of us who pre-ordered (which is probably also the majority of current players) did it so we could get the names we wanted - and many of us were apprehensive about losing our names in the transfer. The main difference isn't that the vast majority of players value a certain playstyle or a vanity pet over their character names. The main difference is that a minority of players just can't handle having to change their character names for any reason and are trying to pass it off as some rare positive quality deserving special consideration.

If the remaining population on the 32 East Coast PVE servers are merged into one server, what do you think the chances are of keeping all your character names? Let's say there are 50 players on each server who have not transferred yet, and each has 8 characters. That's over 12,000 character names. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't put the odds in your favor.

And you would hate it because you'd be surrounded by everyone else who just can't get over the fact that they lost their character names - and then you'd randomly group with the person who has your main's original name. Dante Alighieri would have to come back from the dead to add "Circle X: Fleet".
There's actually 42 East Coast PvE servers; I can bring up the list I posted 2 pages back if you'd like. This brings up a problem that requires a new dimension to the solution. Unfortunately we still don't have those two key raw numbers to see if this is feasible (how many hold-outs there are currently and how much it costs to keep an individual server running for this game), but to put your mind to rest about the possibility of too many players on a single server as a result of it, I believe there's a solution to this, costs permitting.

If the actual cost to run a server isn't too high, it might help to open up more than one additional destination server for server subgroups that collectively still have a sizable population. Let's take your assumption that there are 50 people on each of those 42 East Coast PvE servers. That's 2100 players. Now, what would a reasonable maximum number to transfer to each server be? Does 300 sound fare? If so, then there would be 7 additional servers for that sub-group. Can 300 players paying $15 a month ($4,500 a month) sustain a single server? Fraid I still don't know, but if it's financially feasible, why not?

Also, to address your point that everyone values/valued the names they chose at the beginning of the game, this is true. However, they clearly valued the transfer perks more and at the time Bioware was giving us a choice in some cases to have one or the other. What would be special treatment is if the people who chose to stay behind to keep their names demanded that they get all the transfer perks as well, including a larger player pool to group with. However, the deal that they could keep their names if they stayed behind has been altered, (Anyone else getting that one scene in Empire Strikes Back coming to mind? It makes me giggle) as it currently stands anyways. They're just looking for a way to reasonably get that original part of the deal; if it's not financially feasible, oh well, an effort was made, but if is, then wouldn't be worth it to Bioware to set up some new destination servers?.