Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Improving Crew Skill by looking at other MMOs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Improving Crew Skill by looking at other MMOs

GnatB
07.10.2012 , 03:05 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by chimunga View Post
I'm also not talking about money-making in this. I'm talking about just the skills themselves. If there are no real perks to crafting, then what's the point to having any crafting skills? There aren't any incentives. Is there anything other than money? Because I don't really see it. this is going to sound snobby, but it's not meant to be. I always thought crafting shouldn't just be about the money, it should also be about customizing your character.
And I guess that's where we disagree. It should be about the money. (and, as I also said, the pride of seeing other people use the stuff you've made.. one of the reasons most *good* crafting systems have a "made by" designator on crafted gear. I'm sure I'm not the only crafter who loves it when they see a character walking by equipped entirely in stuff they (or an alt) have made.

When I think customizing your character, I think barbershop or something to repick appearance choices, armor dyes, appearance tabs, etc. Stuff that usually has virtually nothing to do with crafting, and is more just UI features available to everybody.

Darzil
07.10.2012 , 04:27 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by chimunga View Post
But you're right. I love the system SWTOR has of REing items. That's the best thing I've seen in an MMO.
I agree, it solves many problems, though some of them we are perhaps yet to see the long term results of.

One is that unlike most MMO's I've played, you reverse engineer the stuff you make to skill up on, rather than dumping it on the market. This means that there can actually be a market for items below level cap, unlike many other MMOs.

Another, which can be frustrating to start with, is that the very difficultly of learning new schematics via reverse engineering is the thing that enables crafters to distinguish themselves from other crafters, opening up markets. I wish it wasn't so tied up with levelling for the best schematics, but that's a direction many modern MMOs are going.

The power of crafted stuff is an a pretty good state up until level cap. At level cap it varies, and at least part of the difficulty in selling it is the way players judge their kit. Certainly on my tank I have columi belt/bracer which I don't use because although I'd gain around 2% endurance, I'd lose 2% avoidance/mitigation compared to my purple twice RE'd crafted one. Many players just stack base stats, which crafted is weak on, but overall effectiveness can be higher with crafted, after all 2% more health is about equal to 2% avoidance/mitigation, but is also more for the healer to have to heal.

GrantyJPS
07.10.2012 , 07:12 PM | #13
The crafting system/economy (apart from the silly 20-man quest exploit) in SWG was hundreds of times better than here or WoW. I didnt even craft, but I sold a lot of my loots to the crafters, and very much enjoyed shopping around for armour, setting up agreements (trading NS/Krayt loots for armour). I liked farming mats to sell to Doctors or trade away for buffs. Crafting here or in WoW is pretty poor in comparison.